PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

crazypipe

Lifer
Sep 23, 2012
I have about 7 DE razors but I don't use them anymore, now day's I use the Gillette Fusnon :puffy:

lordnoble

Lifer
Jul 13, 2010
Teddy, while the Fusion does provide a nice shave, I can't bring myself to spend $4/cartridge. Idi do t have time for the ritual of shaving with my DE, I use a product a friend (ae1pt) turned me on to. I ordered a razor and bunch of cartridges for less than what I'd have paid for 8 Fusion cartridges from HARRY'S and I haven't looked back since. They are worth the small upfront investment IMO.
-Jason

dulgunz

Can't Leave
Feb 11, 2015
Question for the group: I have my Grandfather's Wilkins Sword Razor # 19753, can anyone give a timeframe of when this was made?

2015042095123544-337x600.jpg

20150420_123805-337x600.jpg

dulgunz

Can't Leave
Feb 11, 2015
Never mind about the maker, at least I still don't know but the pics were sent from my wife who reminded me that I have this thing in with a few other sentimental items from my grandfather. I finally got home to look at it and it is the blade that has the info from Wilkins and the numbers are the adjustments for the blade. I would still like to know how old this thing is and what brand.

crusader

Can't Leave
Aug 18, 2014
Nebraska
Dulgunz- post the question on straightrazor place.com. I have no doubt you will find the answer. A great and dedicated lot over there.

dulgunz

Can't Leave
Feb 11, 2015
After much cleaning, I can read the inside of the lids, It is a Gillette Adjustable Butterfly DE Razor from 1957 to 1961.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Grabbed this awhile ago, and don't know if I should use it or put it on display.
http://m.ebay.com/itm/111649274053?txnId=0

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
Teddy, while the Fusion does provide a nice shave, I can't bring myself to spend $4/cartridge
Apparently if you keep the cartridges after the first use sitting in vegetable oil/olive oil etc. it keeps them from oxidizing and you can get a good six months per cartridge out of it. I have friend that does this and says it works. Personally I'm learning to use the straight razor, that is what personifies wet shaving for me, I've shaved with Gillette cartridges for the last 18 years or so and it's so simple it doesn't really have the harm associated with wet shaving attached to it. The best tip I've gotten from my friend who got me into straights is to put some vegetable oil on your face before you soak, lather up, soak again, then lather up and shave. I just did the vegetable oil thing for the first time to take off my playoff beard and it was night and day.

okiescout

Lifer
Jan 27, 2013
Winton,+1 Mekurs rule 8) Had mine for 4 years and you cannot get a better shave. I have very sensitive skin, an electric razor breaks me out like a pizza and feels worse. My brother set me on to Mekur and I love it.

lordnoble

Lifer
Jul 13, 2010
Apparently if you keep the cartridges after the first use sitting in vegetable oil/olive oil etc. it keeps them from oxidizing and you can get a good six months per cartridge out of it.

While I'm sure this works for some, my facial hair grows so fast, dense and coarse that most blades stop cutting and go to tearing/pulling after the 4th or 5th shave, which admittedly is usually about three-week worth of shaving. No amount of prep makes my facial forest soft enough to shave every day let alone every two or three days.

YMMV
-Jason

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
Well from doing some quick research it seems like either mineral oil is the best or dipping your razor in rubbing alcohol after will extend the life, you can also strop cartridges on a pair of jeans and it sounds like people have good success keeping a razor going a long time with stropping it.

sjpipesmoker

Lifer
Apr 17, 2011
I don't use a saftey razor, but I use everything out. I bought a cheap Chinese made one and it cut me all up. I'd love to try it again but need to buy a good starter razor first.

I use dollar shave club and it's working for me.

buster

Lifer
Sep 1, 2011
SJ there is a shop by Bev Mo on Camden/Union that has soaps and straight razors. Williams cutleryI believe it is? I ordered my DE razor from Bull Goose shaving that is in Southern California. Good customer service, I recommend it.

spartanfan

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 3, 2013
A forum that can be very helpful for the new wet shaver is Badger and Blade. Great resources for articles and opinions. There are even a few pipe smokers over there. Much like pipe smoking, traditional wet shaving takes practice and technique but the time invested will result in a great experience.

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
@Spartanfan actually the guy who runs that site is a member of this forum, so it's a very small world on the internet.

Status
Not open for further replies.