PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

tobakenist

Lifer
Jun 16, 2011
Middle England
Hi and welcome from Northamptonshire, England, love your Les Paul, I'm a Guitarist since 1963 when I was 7yrs, both my Parents were pianists, one a jazz pianist and my Mother a classical pianist, me, just wanted to play a Guitar, early 70's played in a Jazz Rock Band, then played in many Bands, then became a Guitar Tech for many years, still play for a few hours a day and still look after Guitars for many Musicians, enjoy your Guitars and enjoy your pipe and you will have a happy life like me, all the best. puffy

MRW

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 6, 2022
Fort Worth Texas
Hi all,

I’m new to the site and after about 13 years, coming back to a hobby I’ve been interested in since being a kid.

13 years ago, I was smoking cigarettes and chewing tobacco on top of my pipe smoking. I had tried to quit the cigarettes and chew, while continuing to smoke my pipes, but I was unsuccessful in separating the 2 habits from the latter. Consequently, I made the decision to quit all tobacco consumption, and I was successful in the end.

Over the past 13 years, I missed my pipes greatly, however I never felt confident in picking up the pipe without sliding backwards on the cigarettes and chew. Well, this year I began to feel like enough time had gone by and I could give it a try and see what would come of it, and I’m thrilled that I did! It’s been about 2 months being back to enjoying the pipe and as I’ve had no cravings or interest in cigarettes in any way, I feel that I can go forward with love of pipes/pipe tobacco safely without the threat of backsliding.

Anyways, as previously mentioned, my interest in the hobby started as a kid, I read a lot of fiction including Tolkien and Conan Doyle and my grandfather smoked a pipe. With those influences I had always looked forward to taking up pipe smoking as I grew of age. So, picking up the hobby again brings back lots of memories and feels like home so to speak.

Being from Massachusetts (don’t hold that against me lol..) a lot has changed for pipe smokers in the past 13 years… the laws specifically are mind boggling to me, however it’s still a viable hobby within the State and I’m happy to go for a ride/smoke to out of State stores to have more selection and better prices. (More reasonable taxes).

As for as other background, I’m married, have 4 children, 1 grandkid, and another grandkid coming. I’m lucky in that my wife enjoys the smell of a pipe and has no issue with my smoking a pipe or two a day in the house, for that I’m thankful as the winter months are cold here in the Northeast lol.

I’m a full time performing musician, playing in 3 different bands (blues, classic rock, and “jam” band styles) as well as I play many solo gigs acoustically through each week. I’ve been playing since about age 7 and it’s a calling/passion of mine. I typically play in the New England area, with a few gigs throughout the year in the New York area.

Other than that, I’m just thrilled to be taking up the hobby again, and while I did enjoy smoking pipes years ago, I’m truly starting over as when I had quit all tobacco, I had gotten rid of my small collection, so it’s starting from scratch again for me. I’ve a lot to learn as well, as in my prior experience, I didn’t ask many questions or really dive into it properly to learn as much as I really want to.

Thanks for reading!!
Hello and welcome to the Forum from Deep in the Heart of Texas. You will find this site to be informative and the members insightful (and at times, most entertaining). Enjoy your stay!

Reactions: Chickenpicker

Chickenpicker

Lurker
Feb 21, 2024
Massachusetts
Wow, thanks for the thorough introduction! What are the bands you’re in?

I play in my main band David Bazin’s “Mojo Ride”, also full time in the band “Gypsy 6” and also as the travel fill in on lead guitar for the band “Way up South”. Their longtime lead guitarist is now semi-retired, and I get all of the out of State gigs.

For the most part each of the bands are cover bands, but each of the bands has original music that we also play. All three are based out of Massachusetts and play throughout the Northeast region.

LongIslandPiper

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 8, 2022
Hi all,

I’m new to the site and after about 13 years, coming back to a hobby I’ve been interested in since being a kid.

13 years ago, I was smoking cigarettes and chewing tobacco on top of my pipe smoking. I had tried to quit the cigarettes and chew, while continuing to smoke my pipes, but I was unsuccessful in separating the 2 habits from the latter. Consequently, I made the decision to quit all tobacco consumption, and I was successful in the end.

Over the past 13 years, I missed my pipes greatly, however I never felt confident in picking up the pipe without sliding backwards on the cigarettes and chew. Well, this year I began to feel like enough time had gone by and I could give it a try and see what would come of it, and I’m thrilled that I did! It’s been about 2 months being back to enjoying the pipe and as I’ve had no cravings or interest in cigarettes in any way, I feel that I can go forward with love of pipes/pipe tobacco safely without the threat of backsliding.

Anyways, as previously mentioned, my interest in the hobby started as a kid, I read a lot of fiction including Tolkien and Conan Doyle and my grandfather smoked a pipe. With those influences I had always looked forward to taking up pipe smoking as I grew of age. So, picking up the hobby again brings back lots of memories and feels like home so to speak.

Being from Massachusetts (don’t hold that against me lol..) a lot has changed for pipe smokers in the past 13 years… the laws specifically are mind boggling to me, however it’s still a viable hobby within the State and I’m happy to go for a ride/smoke to out of State stores to have more selection and better prices. (More reasonable taxes).

As for as other background, I’m married, have 4 children, 1 grandkid, and another grandkid coming. I’m lucky in that my wife enjoys the smell of a pipe and has no issue with my smoking a pipe or two a day in the house, for that I’m thankful as the winter months are cold here in the Northeast lol.

I’m a full time performing musician, playing in 3 different bands (blues, classic rock, and “jam” band styles) as well as I play many solo gigs acoustically through each week. I’ve been playing since about age 7 and it’s a calling/passion of mine. I typically play in the New England area, with a few gigs throughout the year in the New York area.

Other than that, I’m just thrilled to be taking up the hobby again, and while I did enjoy smoking pipes years ago, I’m truly starting over as when I had quit all tobacco, I had gotten rid of my small collection, so it’s starting from scratch again for me. I’ve a lot to learn as well, as in my prior experience, I didn’t ask many questions or really dive into it properly to learn as much as I really want to.

Thanks for reading!!
Well welcome back and……IMG_7437.jpeg

AroEnglish

Lifer
Jan 7, 2020
Midwest
I play in my main band David Bazin’s “Mojo Ride”, also full time in the band “Gypsy 6” and also as the travel fill in on lead guitar for the band “Way up South”. Their longtime lead guitarist is now semi-retired, and I get all of the out of State gigs.

For the most part each of the bands are cover bands, but each of the bands has original music that we also play. All three are based out of Massachusetts and play throughout the Northeast region.
That’s sweet that you can do that full-time!

Chickenpicker

Lurker
Feb 21, 2024
Massachusetts
That’s sweet that you can do that full-time!

Yup! I’m super thankful that between the 3 bands and solo gigs that I’m able to keep the bills paid etc… it takes playing a LOT of gigs each year, but it’s a labor of love for sure.

Covid times were absolutely brutal, as clubs and bars were at the very end of business opening back up, and then entertainment wasn’t allowed for a long while after here in Massachusetts. Then even once things were back to normal, bar and club owners didn’t have the money at first to put into entertainment after being shutdown for so long. So it was an exercise in being frugal, creative, and patient. Thank God my wife and kids are as patient and understanding as they were/are to tighten our belts and push through!

Anyways, not my intention to bring up anything even close to political, just looking back a bit. 😉

AroEnglish

Lifer
Jan 7, 2020
Midwest
Yup! I’m super thankful that between the 3 bands and solo gigs that I’m able to keep the bills paid etc… it takes playing a LOT of gigs each year, but it’s a labor of love for sure.

Covid times were absolutely brutal, as clubs and bars were at the very end of business opening back up, and then entertainment wasn’t allowed for a long while after here in Massachusetts. Then even once things were back to normal, bar and club owners didn’t have the money at first to put into entertainment after being shutdown for so long. So it was an exercise in being frugal, creative, and patient. Thank God my wife and kids are as patient and understanding as they were/are to tighten our belts and push through!

Anyways, not my intention to bring up anything even close to political, just looking back a bit. 😉
Yeah that must’ve been a brutal time. Glad you and your band mates made it through that season!

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA

Well on the social commentary side these kinds of things sort show how much people in general are kind of just winging it and hoping that things continue to function smoothly. At the end of the day we all should have known that some thing or some other thing could block the rhythm of normal everyday life. Just one thought seeing so much close down during Covid.

Chickenpicker

Lurker
Feb 21, 2024
Massachusetts
Well on the social commentary side these kinds of things sort show how much people in general are kind of just winging it and hoping that things continue to function smoothly. At the end of the day we all should have known that some thing or some other thing could block the rhythm of normal everyday life. Just one thought seeing so much close down during Covid.

Yup, I take your meaning, planning ahead for such times is essential, especially when you have loved ones counting on you to provide. I had some savings etc… but certainly this has been a lesson in exactly what you pointed out. Too true and was a moment of clarity about taking things for granted so to speak.

Reactions: anotherbob