PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Chickenpicker

Lurker
Feb 21, 2024
Massachusetts
Hi all,

I’m new to the site and after about 13 years, coming back to a hobby I’ve been interested in since being a kid.

13 years ago, I was smoking cigarettes and chewing tobacco on top of my pipe smoking. I had tried to quit the cigarettes and chew, while continuing to smoke my pipes, but I was unsuccessful in separating the 2 habits from the latter. Consequently, I made the decision to quit all tobacco consumption, and I was successful in the end.

Over the past 13 years, I missed my pipes greatly, however I never felt confident in picking up the pipe without sliding backwards on the cigarettes and chew. Well, this year I began to feel like enough time had gone by and I could give it a try and see what would come of it, and I’m thrilled that I did! It’s been about 2 months being back to enjoying the pipe and as I’ve had no cravings or interest in cigarettes in any way, I feel that I can go forward with love of pipes/pipe tobacco safely without the threat of backsliding.

Anyways, as previously mentioned, my interest in the hobby started as a kid, I read a lot of fiction including Tolkien and Conan Doyle and my grandfather smoked a pipe. With those influences I had always looked forward to taking up pipe smoking as I grew of age. So, picking up the hobby again brings back lots of memories and feels like home so to speak.

Being from Massachusetts (don’t hold that against me lol..) a lot has changed for pipe smokers in the past 13 years… the laws specifically are mind boggling to me, however it’s still a viable hobby within the State and I’m happy to go for a ride/smoke to out of State stores to have more selection and better prices. (More reasonable taxes).

As for as other background, I’m married, have 4 children, 1 grandkid, and another grandkid coming. I’m lucky in that my wife enjoys the smell of a pipe and has no issue with my smoking a pipe or two a day in the house, for that I’m thankful as the winter months are cold here in the Northeast lol.

I’m a full time performing musician, playing in 3 different bands (blues, classic rock, and “jam” band styles) as well as I play many solo gigs acoustically through each week. I’ve been playing since about age 7 and it’s a calling/passion of mine. I typically play in the New England area, with a few gigs throughout the year in the New York area.

Other than that, I’m just thrilled to be taking up the hobby again, and while I did enjoy smoking pipes years ago, I’m truly starting over as when I had quit all tobacco, I had gotten rid of my small collection, so it’s starting from scratch again for me. I’ve a lot to learn as well, as in my prior experience, I didn’t ask many questions or really dive into it properly to learn as much as I really want to.

Thanks for reading!!

jaingorenard

Can't Leave
Apr 11, 2022
Norwich, UK
Welcome from Norwich, UK. I had the same problem when I was trying to quit cigarettes. Every time I had a pipe it would just make me want another cigarette (bearing in mind I actually smoked a pipe before cigarettes). I think I stopped completely for about 5 or 6 months, and was then able to start smoking the pipe again (although it took me a few tries over a couple of years to quit cigs, and I still miss them now).

I'm in the lucky position now where I can have the odd cigarette every few months and not get re-hooked, but it took me a while to be able to do that!