PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wellington

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 31, 2012
I've been curious to try Wessex tobacco, particularly Red Virginia Flake, and was wondering if anyone has had it before? Did it bight much? Also, I wouldn't mind some suggestions of cool tobaccos or tobaccos that don't have so much tongue bight. Right now i'm still on a 100g tin of W.Ø. Larson and that stuff really gives me tongue bight.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I smoke more blends from Wessex than any other mfg. The 4 I smoke are Brigade Campaign Dark Flake, Brown Virginia Flake, Gold Virginia Flake and Gold Brick. None of these give me any tongue bite and they are all very tasty to me. I did try the Red Virginia Flake but it bit me bad. I am very sensitive to Red Virginia's but I had to try it because I like so many of their blends.
I would try any of the above mentioned and stay away from the Red Virginia.

gecko13

Feb 2, 2011
Goodyear,AZ
The Wessex Brigade Campaign Dark Flake is a nice blend. I smoke it frequently and have several tins on hand.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
gecko, you may want to load up on any Wessex blends you really like. I predict it will be smaller companies like Wessex that will be the first to go if prices triple. I do not believe that smaller houses like them will be able to survive. I am up to around 70 tins of the BCDF and am going for at least 100 in the cellar. I made the mistake of not loading up on Three Nuns so I will not let history repeat itself.

mlyvers

Can't Leave
Sep 23, 2012
i want to try their burley flake. i think it`s a flake. i maybe wrong, but i know they produce a tinned burley. has anyone tried the burley?
mike.

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
I've never tried a Wessex blend. But I can tell you that Red Virginias, in general, probably need the most care in smoking than any of the Virginias. I'm currently going through a 2006 tin of McCranie's Red Flake, and it requires a very slow draw or else it will be sharp on the tongue. But if you're deliberate and mindful in how you approach these, I think you'll be richly rewarded. The Red Flake delivers a ton of sweetness when approached carefully.
I would say that it's good to approach any all-Virginia blend with caution at the outset, until you get a feel for the technique that delivers the most flavor with the least bite. (And the bite, in this case, is due largely to the high sugar content of this leaf, not any additives. If you're getting bit by an aromatic, I think you can lay the blame entirely on the flavorings/additives that are part of the blend.) The only exception is a dark-stoved Virginia. These tobaccos -- my favorites are McClelland's Dark Star and Butera's Royal Vintage: Dark Stoved -- are processed in such a way that their flavors are much darker and much more mellow. Sometimes, though, the processing/pressing also results in flakes that can be very hard to rub out. Dark Star is near-impossible. But it's okay to smoke it in chunks if you have to; just be prepared for many relights.
Bob

Wellington

Dec 31, 2012
Once the taxes jump, I mays well almost buy all my tobacco in Canada again then, the cost won't be much, if at all, less.
Thanks for the info all, I will avoid the Red Virginia, I can already tell it's not going to be my cup of tea.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
mlyvers, the Wessex Burley Slice is a flake and it is high in burley flavors. I recently bought a tin because I like HH Old Dark Fired and Stonehaven. I was not crazy about the first bowl so I am putting it away for a while to dry out and see if I like it better with a little age. I did the same thing with Old Dark Fired and I love that one now. The Burley Slice is definitely a quality tobacco and very pretty flakes. If you like Burley's I would suggest you try it.

tedvig

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 21, 2011
I got a 7 oz can of the wessex burley broadcut. I'm about half done. Great stuff - nice burley flavor with a nice casing of some sort. Sublty sweet and tobacco-y. I also love their Brown VA Flake.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
roth, your not going to slice off a chunk of the Gold Brick and check it out? What if you really like it fresh, you will probably want to stock up on it. Better hurry, I just ordered another 5 bricks tonight. lol
I love the way it comes, it is one solid hunk of tobacco. It takes a real sharp knife to slice some off. I cube cut it once I get a slice, fun stuff.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I don't think it will disappoint but it could be your holy grail blend. You may want to back the truck up, it could send you to Nirvana, you may try it fall in love and then find out I have bought it all. :rofl:

atboth

Might Stick Around
Dec 7, 2012
loseth:
I currently have an open tin of Wessex Red Virginia flake. It's the so-manieth one I've opened in the past several months. Wessex Red Virginia flake is milder and more perfumy than Rattray's Hal O' The Wynd, possibly due to a faint old-age top dressing. Smoke-wise it is a cousin to the Orlik Golden Sliced. A very pleasant and enjoyable product, if smoked slowly. Fully rubbed out it does not require much attention. I had several bowls yesterday, punctuated by Rattray's Accountants Mixture and other Latakia bombs.

Like all Virginias it is high in nicotine. Which is why untill I've finished this tin it will be my first bowl of the day.

sparroa

Lifer
Dec 8, 2010
Wessex Burley Slice is a beautiful smoke for those who love burley. It is supposedly the closest thing you can get to the dearly departed Edgeworth Sliced blend...
As far as I know, it is a straight burley (though there may be a minute percentage of VA) with a casing of molasses.
It delivers a straightforward smoke with a rich nuttiness reminiscent of black coffee and occasional wisps of sweetness. It is my favourite burley to date and I recommend it to all.
I haven't tried to the Solani ABF yet but I hope it is just as good...
As for Wessex Gold Brick, I hope to try it in a few weeks. It hasn't gotten much love over the years, but it seems like people have been praising it more and more lately. Plugs are a fairly rare tobacco form these days, and this is unusual for the category in that it is only of medium strength...

sparroa

Lifer
Dec 8, 2010
Roth I think you should try a single tin of the Wessex Burley Slice and give us a short review.
I'd be interested to know if it scratched your burley itch or not...
To me, it is all I'd ever really want to represent the burley genre.
It is far superior to any of the burley OTCs I have tried, and it is a brilliant counterpoint to the Virginias I love. Don't get me wrong, it is not a "showstopper" smoke but it is very solid and its flavours are what I think about when I think about burley...
I just ordered two more tins of ABF but I don't plan on opening them any time soon. I am just hoping that they pan out. They may be a disappointment but I'm praying that the positive reviews out there don't lead me astray...
I'll be quite disappointed if I try them in a few years and wish I had more Wessex Burley Slices instead.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
roth, if you want to sample the Wessex Burley slice shoot me a pm with your addy, I have an open tin. I tried it and it was not an instant hit with me so I am drying it out and aging it and will revisit in a few months. I did the same thing with Old Dark Fired and love that one now, so I do have hope for the BS.

Wellington

Dec 31, 2012
@atboth

What do you mean when you say "fully rubbed out it does not require much attention"? Forgive my ignorance, I'm shallow in experience compared to most here.

atboth

Might Stick Around
Dec 7, 2012
Hi loseth,
The Wessex Red Virginia Flake comes in thin slices that may either be crumbled up and stuffed into your bowl, or rubbed out and teased apart, so that it's almost like you're packing any other kind of tobacco. Some people maintain that partially broken slices are a better way to smoke flake, but in my experience, completely rubbing out the flake, and letting it dry to the right humidity level, before smoking it works best.

Because the Wessex flakes are thinly cut slices, this yields a fine ribbon-like pile of tobacco. Which is easy to pack, easy to light, and easy to smoke.

Cruising slowly through a bowl and occasionally giving it a light tamp will provide you with an effortless smoke that needs no re-lights.

Jul 12, 2011
Just cracked a tin of Brigade Campaign Dark Flake, don't want

to start a feeding frenzy / but damn...this stuff smells amazing; stewed

fruit and fig...I unwrapped the belt of flake and ripped off some

for drying, looking forward to my AM smoke w/espresso

Status
Not open for further replies.