PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
Use a churchwarden with an easy draw...silicosis is not THAT easy to contract, and besides, who's inhaling their pipe tobacco? Naughty, naughty.

brass

Lifer
Jun 4, 2014
United States
Bummer. This is why I elected to use plastic food grade bail jars. I don't know if they're suitable for 5 or 10 year storage but they've kept tobacco fresh for me for at least a year.
http://www.usplastic.com/catalog/item.aspx?itemid=23436&catid=604
PET Wonder Jars with Bail Lids

PET clear food grade plastic jars with PETG bail lids complete with a stainless lock. The answer to many storage needs when exposure to air or moisture is harmful to your storage inventory. Virtually impervious to normal bumps, cracks and breaks of similar glass storage systems. Designed with flap stoppers so they are stackable and store in less space.

anchovyd

Might Stick Around
May 17, 2015
I wouldn't trash it. If you have a Savinelli just smoke it with the balsa filter to block out any shards of glass and maybe smoke it gently to be a little extra cautious. No need to throw the baby out with the bath water.
Living my life a bowl at a time,

AnchovyD

phil67

Lifer
Dec 14, 2013
I wouldn't trash it. If you have a Savinelli just smoke it with the balsa filter to block out any shards of glass...
A balsa wood filter, or for that matter, any filter is only effective at removing some particulate matter and moisture and will in no way filter out all of the microscopic pieces of glass that might possibly be imbedded in the tobacco. Once again, albeit it was painful to do, he did the right thing in disposing the entire unfortunate mess.

phil67

Lifer
Dec 14, 2013
Well, possibly not so painful when you have 672+ pounds of tobacco in your cellar. That's more or less like simply spilling a spoon full of sugar on the floor for you peck. :wink:

Status
Not open for further replies.