Welcome new members. Introduce yourselves.

SmokingPipes.com Updates

18 Fresh Barling Pipes
New Accessories
12 Fresh Dunhill Pipes
New Cigars
18 Fresh Neerup Pipes

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

dunendain

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 22, 2009
Hello all. I have been away for some time. Some problems, but good to be back. Welcome to all of the new members. Boy, has this site grown.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
Mick! Glad to see you back online here! We were all worried that something awful had happened since you just dropped off the radar. Whew! Good to hear from you! While I've got the chance, thanks a bundle for recommending PS Luxury Bull's Eye Flake. That's one great smoke that I completely overlooked all these years.

sapo59

Can't Leave
Dec 29, 2009
Welcome back Mick, I would also like to thank you for recommending PS LBF. Glad to have you back, Hope all is well.
Welcome all new members, Glad to have you aboard.

dunendain

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 22, 2009
Thanks Pistol and Cortez. I have a partially collapsed lung that became an ugly mess, but I am better now. The whole thing threw me into a spiral of manic depression. Good to hear from you guys.

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
Mick, We are all glad you are back.

We were worried.
Welcome to all the new brothers of the pipes.

We look forward to you posts, questions, and pictures.

Nothing but good people here.

wagnon85

Might Stick Around
Apr 25, 2010
I registered a few days ago, so that would certainly qualify me as new! My name is Steve and I live in Colorado. Hello to everyone. And thanks for the 3 or 4 friend requests I have received. Please send more! hehe
I only have two pipes right now, as I am not an "every dayer", sometimes not even a "once a weeker". Actually the pipe I smoked last night was my first since November, though I think that was more due to the cold weather of winter.
My first pipe was a Savinelli. Not sure of the model as it was a second...is that that proper term for an unfinished pipe? I believe it's a bent apple, or maybe bent billiard shape. I wasn't sure how much I would smoke it, hence going cheap.
Recently, in order to improve its appearance I applied a few coats of tung oil followed by a few of spray on clear wood finish (lacquer). I have to say it helped it a lot.
Anyway, that cheap pipe was fine in the early years, and I found I enjoyed pipe smoking, and it left me aspiring to more. So eventually I picked up a Peterson Sherlock Holmes Baskerville. I really enjoy that one. Since both of my existing pipes have bent stems, I wouldn't mind picking up a straight stemmed one in the future.
Tobacco-wise, I've mainly been smoking Dunhill Nightcap, My Mixture 965, and Early Morning Pipe. When I want something more aromatic, I have a tobacco store blend called Holiday that I picked up years ago. I also have some Peterson Gold Blend and Luxury Blend, though I prefer the Dunhills.
In order to branch out a little on the aromatic side (and to try and replace my dwindling supply of Holiday) I recently ordered some McClelland Christmas Cheers 2007 and some Peterson Christmas Blend 2009. Also in that order are McClelland #M27 Three Cherry and G.L. Pease Maltese Falcon. I know, the Maltese Falcon is more like the non-aromatics I already have, but what can I say...I liked the name and the tin! hehe
Based on what I have, and what I have ordered, does anyone have any other tobacco suggestions for me, aromatic or otherwise?
Steve

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
Welcome Steve, to this fraternity of pipe smokers.

We are glad to have you, and its refreshing to see that you have a real interest in our art.
I can say with confidence that a good "utilitarian smoke" would be 1Q.

1Q goes by several names, locally(here)it is called Yorkshire.

You can buy it in bulk and at your local Brick and Mortar pipe shoppe. (B&M)

It has a good flavor, good room note, and won't break the bank.
Once again.... Welcome!

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
Welcome wagnon85 and nilbog. It sounds like you've both hit the ground running. Have fun -- both with the pipes, and, here on the forums. Good to have you aboard.

raftergtex

Lurker
Mar 18, 2010
Welcome new members! Maybe if I say that often enough my own profile will advance to whatever comes after "new member."
By the way, Steve, tung oil and lacquer are generally frowned upon for use on a pipe, given that they supposedly "seal" the briar and it can't "breathe" thereby giving you a wet smoke. I am not particularly convinced of this, and think it goes back to the fact that a lot of crappy basket pipes look like they were dipped in shellac, but hey that's what they say ...

Status
Not open for further replies.