We All Love Comics, Any Heroes/Villains Smoke a Pipe?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Status
Not open for further replies.

juni

Lifer
Mar 9, 2010
Lets not forget our favorite captain:
captain_haddock_by_snuttegull-d31n5rv.jpg

tokerpipes

Lifer
Jan 16, 2012
Eatonville, WA
Philip its funny you got Lil Abner up there. My mom used to do the books at Dog Patch where they origionated in Jasper Arkansas. My grandparens retired to Jasper about 10 miles from the park. My mom was 18 when she worked there, she did the books for the buisness till she married my dad. It was the highlight of my summers to go to the park. And the hot looking cartoon is Dasie Mae, Lil Abners girl friend. Man if she hadnt been the owners wife...hehehe.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dogpatch_USA

digitalshave

Might Stick Around
Jun 21, 2011
I don't have a picture of them....but Professor Impossible from the Venture Bros and Professor Utonium from the Powerpuff Girls.

cynyr

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 12, 2012
Tennessee
Gotham Commissioner of Police, James Gordon. I really oughta get a new avatar.
And I just stole this one from here.
commissioner_gordon_by_cheeks_74-417x600.jpg

Jul 12, 2011
Looks like all the villains smoke either cigs or gars, except

for a few bad arz good guys like above mentioned :)
Tobacco pipes=good guys :)

trevert

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 11, 2009
NC
Well, there was one good-guy cigar smoker - the Thing. 90% of my memories of him from the 1970's are of him chomping down on a cigar, during the height of his popularity as a character when he was in a half dozen strips at once. Then an anti-smoking editor came in and declared that there would be no more smoking, and that squashed the Thing's stogies and his regular smoking poker nights that he would have. I blame the entire character's fall from popularity on the fact that they made him stop smoking. :)
Also, who could forget the inimitable Howard the Duck? A cigar was part of his costume! And virtually every male hero through the 60's and 70's could be seen with a pipe at some point, especially Bruce Banner.

mluyckx

Lifer
Dec 5, 2011
Texas
Someone posted Haddock and as my national pride dictates, I have to go back to Tintin. There is a villain in the Blue Lotus called Mr.Dawson. And he smoked a pipe
Dawson.jpg

He is however a minor adversary in only one episode. Tintin's main nemesis, Rastapopoulos, smokes cigars. The other main ones smoke nails.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
The Atom smoked a pipe in a panel of an issue of Brave and Bold. The artist, Jim Aparo, was a pipe smoker at the time, and he frequently drew pipe smokers in his stories, including himself. There's an issue of Superman where he tries pipe smoking and hated it (It was a "Private Life of Clark Kent" story, maybe the first one they did). I should also point out that Nick Fury never smoked a pipe in the comics, but Capt. Sawyer, who was his boss in WW2, did.
I hate to point this out, but Marvel, DC, and Archie Comics do not let their characters smoke anymore.

phred

Lifer
Dec 11, 2012
Did anyone else find it striking that Hawkmans's real name is CARTER HALL???? I tried to find pics of the creator's of Hawkman(Gardner Fox and Dennis Neville) smoking a pipe but I came up empty handed.
Gotta admit - the first time I saw "Carter Hall" referenced in here, I immediately wondered why there were so many Hawkman fans in the pipe smoking community... :rofl:

easterntraveler

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 29, 2012
Interesting fact. Because of the big anti smoking push Logan/Wolverine does not smoke cigars anymore.

Status
Not open for further replies.