PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Zeno Marx

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 10, 2022
I dishwasher before use, but because I eat glass jarred peanut butter every day, I never buy jars anymore. I also wash any new clothes I buy before wearing them. Socks, underwear, you name it. I've been in textile factories.

Sobrbiker

Lifer
Jan 7, 2023
Casa Grande, AZ
Splash of Everclear in jar, lid screwed on (just shy of tight, kind of leaky-loose), couple quick shakes then dump and let air dry.
This goes for new, goodwill estate jars, and changing blends…except for warhorse green-that gets its own jar forever.

boston

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 27, 2018
Boston
I wash them right out of the box and when use them again. Just soap and water, not too much of a nuisance. Tobacco costs more than the jars.

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
Nope. Never washed mine. Never had any issues and certainly don't smell anything "off" in a new jar either. People who say they do, I swear its probably just all in their heads.
Great That's all they need. Pipe smoking and an imaginary friend in form of "ghost from the past pipe blend in a mason jar" x)

mateusbrown

Might Stick Around
Apr 24, 2022
Georgia, USA
I wash anything and everything that can be washed because I am a borderline clean freak. As for storage jars, I buy the Classico spaghetti sauce that comes in Mason jars. It's good sauce, and you get a free jar. It looks like a quart jar, but it's more of a three-cup jar. Just rinse it out, soak in the dishwater to remove the label, scrape the residual glue off, run through the dishwasher. The original lids can be reused as well, one-piece rather than the two-piece canning rings and lids although the standard narrow mouth lid is easy to find if you want to go with that option.

Reactions: Mortamyhr

Jbrewer2002

Apr 17, 2023
Somerset Ohio
I wash new jars. If it’s standard practice for canning why wouldn’t it be for tobacco storage. It’s as easy as a trip through the dishwasher to insure there sanitized. To refill with the same blend I don’t wash. If I’m changing blend then a quick trip through the dishwasher.

Jbrewer2002

Apr 17, 2023
Somerset Ohio
Have you ever watched video of a tobacco manufacturer facility or been to one in person? I have done both.

Tobacco isn’t governed by food safety rules for sanitization.
That may be and is probably why some manufacturers have a problem with mold sometimes. I don’t want to give the tobacco any more of a reason to mold. It does that just fine on my own. So sanitizing jars to store said tobacco in will only help prevent this.

Dec 10, 2013
Nijmegen, the Netherlands
I wash both new and used ones with hot water and dish soap, rinse with demineralized water and then sterilze them in the oven. Rigid yes, but my OCD demands it :) and I smoke so little, so want to prevent mold etc.
My friend thought me this safest method. The cellar is filled with home made jams, marmelades, preserved fruits, beans in mason jars etc.

Jan 30, 2020
New Jersey
That may be and is probably why some manufacturers have a problem with mold sometimes. I don’t want to give the tobacco any more of a reason to mold. It does that just fine on my own. So sanitizing jars to store said tobacco in will only help prevent this.
Sure, do whatever you want to do. There's nothing wrong with that. I would say it's worth it to go and take a gander at the pictures and video that's out there to expand your own perception as well. Tobacco is more or less manhandled from field to tin/pouch/bag.

There's just no way, for me, a mason jar is what I'm worried about. If it's going to mold, it's going to mold because of a previous process failure.

May 23, 2023
Whether washed by hand or dishwasher I always let my jars air out for a few days to let the detergent smell air out before putting anything in them. I've washed all my new jars before using.

Reactions: Cucamonga95