PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
Alot of those look to be in pretty good shape actually, just do a salt and alcohol treatment, unless the cake is more than a dime thick, don't bother reaming. Even then some good cake can make for great smoking. Restoring pipes really isn't that hard, you could probably even just get some stem bits to cover the ends of those cracked ones. I'd suggest getting a castleford reamer, they look like the most efficient reamers. http://www.amazon.com/Castleford-Multi-Fit-Tobacco-Pipe-Reamer/dp/B002WR1NIM

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Kyle, welcome to the site and you are truly blessed. I would give my left nut to have my grandfathers pipes. I would definitely spend the money to have them refurbished by a pro, you will be amazed at how brand new they will look and you will have a great rotation of pipes to enjoy for years to come.

yazamitaz

Lifer
Mar 1, 2013
WOW Kyle, great collection and great story. To underpin the other messages I would definitely want grandpa's story on each of those, including the one his daughter bought for him. I would want to know where he got them (I am assuming these were all bought in person since he STOPPED in 1983), what made him choose each particular pipe and his greatest memories of each. Having this knowledge while smoking his pipes will give you a little piece of him that no one else will have, and then you can share that with your son and/or grandson when the time comes.
Truly amazing and thanks for sharing :puffy:

bigriggers01

Might Stick Around
Nov 4, 2012
That's a fantastic selection, that meerschaum is an amazing piece of work! Take every advantage to learn about those from your grandfather, I wish I'd been able to talk to my grandfather about his pipes.

patiobum

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 5, 2009
Baytown,Texas
Welcome to the site. Congratulations on you gift.
+1 on the cigrmaster suggestion to have the pipe refurbished by a pro. You would have a good start to years of enjoyment.

gwtwdbss

Lifer
Jun 13, 2012
Great looking pipes Kyle. What an amazing gift! Welcome to the forums. I hope you enjoy your time here.

dermotfahy

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 14, 2013
That is a wonderful gift you have received! I hope you enjoy restoring and smoking them, the fact that your Grandfather gave them to you should make them all the more valuable to you.

durham270

(Bailey's Briar)
Jan 30, 2013
Kentucky
Thank you for sharing your gifted collection of pipes. You have one priceless collection there. Have fun in restoring them. Congratulations.

wilson

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 17, 2013
Nice collection. Nice story. A bit of tlc and they should be good for a few more decades. Cherish these pipes.

irishjedi

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 31, 2013
Congrats on the snag, and a nice back story as well. Enjoy them, hope they smoke good for you.
Mike

lovethebriar

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 12, 2013
Welcome! That is some collection for sure. Very lucky young man indeed. By the time you do your own collecting you should have a awesome collection to be passed down again. Take care and hope you enjoy the site.

cmdrmcbragg

Lifer
Jul 29, 2013
That's quite the turnover your grandpa gave you. I'd be dizzy just thinking how long it would take me to clean those all up. I've spent the better part of my free time the last three days cleaning just three estate pipes and refinishing a damaged pipe rack. I have two other pipes I haven't even got to cleaning yet and might save for a rainy day.

Status
Not open for further replies.