PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

sailorjeremy

Can't Leave
Feb 25, 2014
Virginia
So I finally have my bench grinder/buffer all set up. I've been doing fine for a week and some change however, one of my flannel wheels is slipping on the spindle to the point where I cant apply any pressure without it slowing down significantly. I'm using a variable speed (2000-3750) with 1/2 in spindle set up. The buffing wheels are 8in and also 1/2 bore. My question is, what can I do to get this thing to "bite" down on the spindle and/or can I use flanges on the spindle to help keep it from slipping?

ejames

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
Did you add arbors to the shaft of that grinder? Like these-- http://www.jestcoproducts.com/index.php?act=viewProd&productId=40 If you did and they both have right hand threads one will loosen up as it spins. You should have one right and one left hand threaded arbor. If you are using the tapered arbors I assume that there is a right and left hand side for those as well.
Edit--did a quick google search and the tapered arbors/spindles to come in a left and right side.

http://www.caswellplating.com/buffing-polishing/buffing-adapters/tapered-buffing-spindles.html

sailorjeremy

Can't Leave
Feb 25, 2014
Virginia
Roger that! Nuts on my fluffer. CHECK!
I'm using tapered spindles (1/2 in). I enjoy that its easy to change wheels but I think I might just order up a pair of the non tapered extensions.

sailorjeremy

Can't Leave
Feb 25, 2014
Virginia
Those are the ones I have. The caswell taper spindles.
I could have sworn rsuninv once said he prefers a shaft extension :laughat:

phil67

Lifer
Dec 14, 2013
I've had a buffer for years as I used to make custom handmade knives. It has a 1/2" arbor and I've always used the wheel(s) with steel flanged washers so obviously no such problem as you described. I've thought of getting tapered spindles (quick change), but have never done so so I have no knowledge as to the issue you are encountering. Never had a problem with the flanged washers and lets face it... just how long does it take to change a wheel! :wink:

sailorjeremy

Can't Leave
Feb 25, 2014
Virginia
Yea I might just suck it up and get the arbor with flanges. It's more of a convenience thing than anything else. Though in this case its actually a matter of functionality. The cotton wheels bite just fine on the spindles without any washers or anything. But the flannel is so soft that it just slides as soon as you apply pressure. It's something to consider that I'm sure often gets overlooked.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Are you using a friction fit pad spindle? If so, I don't see that working with the pressure necessary to buff a pipe.
I have the Jestco arbor extension. I replaced the outside nut with a wing nut from Lowes. I ground the wings down slightly so they didn't hit a stem. With this, I can change pads by hand, but still get them tight enough that they don't slip.

With pad mounted (loose cotton wheel for carnuba wax) but before I put on the wing nut.

layinpipe

Lifer
Feb 28, 2014
Jeremy, i'll be over there later on tonight to buff and washer your nuts. I shall give them a fine waxing and polish them so nice it would make a drill instructor cry. In return, you can buff and polish my biggest and heaviest pipe, the only one that matters.
That is all i have to offer for this thread. Hope this helps.
:rofl:

sailorjeremy

Can't Leave
Feb 25, 2014
Virginia
Corey- Lmao! Dude, I don't have a shank extension for that yet! I ordered 2 of them though, for either side so I can go both ways :rofl:
For those still tuning in.... The end-state is that flannel buffing wheels do not bite very well on a spindle. Your best best would be to order an arbor extension with washers/flanges as some of the other members have done. The cheapest ones I've found are at Caswell Plating. They are $10.99 a piece.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Your spindle is missing those flat/concave washers that press against each side of the pad. I can see them slipping without them.

rcstan

Lifer
Mar 7, 2012
Sunset Beach NC
What they said ..... But IMO those speeds ( 2000 - 3750 ) are way too fast for my taste. Things happen a lot faster and bowls and stems get slung a lot further.....

ejames

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
Here's a pic of my current set up. Only bought one spindle to test and see what works and what doesn't. Not very impressed.
What size is the hole in that wheel? Seems like the tapered arbors us a wheel with a small-like 1/4"- hole in the wheel.

Status
Not open for further replies.