PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
In a recent TV documentary on Walter Cronkite's reporting on the Kennedy assassination, I was reminded

that Cronkite was a pipe smoker. There were several shots of him working in the newsroom with his pipe

in his mouth, and even a shot of just his pipe, in an ashtray if I remember. Just guessing, but it looked like

a Dunhill shell, probably a Group 4. It was pricey for the time, but they were less expensive then even

correcting for inflation, I think. Be interesting to know what tobacco he smoked and what pipe shop he

frequented. My guess would be Nat Sherman in Manhattan. The pipe made him look even more

authoritative. Someone was recalling that Edward R. Morrow, a fellow journalist, didn't like Cronkite

because he wasn't quite intellectual enough, but Walter certainly got the job done, and held court in the

CBS newsroom for decades. Commendable career, topped by the Medal of Freedom. Okay for a Missouri kid.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Yep, that looks like a well used pipe! The Gilda Radner story made me smile.
1628676143.jpg

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
The man had a gift for concise, information-dense phrases. I remember him most for his coverage of NASA's lunar missions.

I'll never forget his description of the physical sensations he felt as a Saturn V blasted off the launch pad: comparing the feel

of those thrusting motors, insolently defying gravity, to the pounding of Thor's hammer.

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
Pipe smoker and avid yachtsman. At one time, and for a long time, Walter Cronkite was voted the most trusted man in America. I dare say we could use some of that now.

escioe

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 31, 2013
The tobacco shop he frequented was Wilke. He smoked Mixture 72.
A little digging shows that this is a burley-VA-per-latakia. Anyone got any experience with it?

May 31, 2012
GiJUsIL.jpg

Cronkite_TV-Guide1.jpg

At the Newseum they have some Cronkite items, a Kaywoodie, his Zippo, and the stopwatch that he timed his news scripts with before going on the air.

cb365716f96a44cfac9aba0291cd7caf.jpg

...and although JFK mostly smoked stogies, sometimes he'd puff a pipe too,

http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/jfk-with-pipe-circa-1963

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Thanks for those good scoops on his pipe brands and tobacco. I may order some Mixture 72 in tribute,

if it's still around. And if so, is it the same blend?

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I like it that he was a burley smoker, a special breed of piper, that. You can still get Mixture 72.

shutterbugg

Lifer
Nov 18, 2013
Someone was recalling that Edward R. Morrow, a fellow journalist, didn't like Cronkite

because he wasn't quite intellectual enough
Yeah well, Murrow chain-smoked cigarettes and died from lung cancer at 57. Cronkite lived to be almost 93. So you decide who was the smarter one :wink:

Status
Not open for further replies.