PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 6, 2010
I'm very new to pipe smoking and I was just wondering if the Walgreen's aromatic tobaccos are any good, and if not, what a good starter tobacco is that smells and tastes good. Mildness is not an issue.

ghost45

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 16, 2010
Stay away from Walgreen's tobaccos.

But a good tobacco to start with is Prince Albert, ( I think every one on this forum will tell you to start with PA ) it is very mild, lights very easy, packs nice, and has a chocolaty taste to it. O and I can't forget Tobacco Reviews let this site be your bible to pipe tobacco!

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
Hey Sir Melikepipealot,

Phil is right the Captain Black White is a good starter tobacco.

If you are looking for an aromatic, you might give Paladin Black Cherry a try.

Here it's about half the cost of Captain Black.

Goes to show you that cost isn't everything when choosing your pipe tobacco.
Pleasant Puffing
PS Check the Grocery Stores in your area. They are (around here anyway) less expensive than the Drug Stores. You might join the Drug Store group. We'd love to have you.

sapo59

Can't Leave
Dec 29, 2009
I have to agree, one of the first tobaccos I ever bought was from walgreens. I got the black and burley. It bit me every time I tried to smoke it. I would start with captain black white and Prince Albert. I know the walgreens seems like a good deal but PLEASE spend your money elsewhere. We would love to have you in the drugstore tobacco group.

vkimp

Lurker
Feb 1, 2010
Gee I gess it takes all kinds! I like there peach. My Wife dosnt give me any S#^t when I smoke it around her. And beleve me that can mean a lot sometimes. LOL

unclearthur

Lifer
Mar 9, 2010
Don't fail to check out the great online sellers like pipesandcigars.com smoking pipes.com and 4 Noggins just to name three. I found it just as economical to buy decent tobacco from them as buying the nasty stuff in plastic bags .

dudleydipstick

Can't Leave
Dec 13, 2009
Don't fail to check out the great online sellers like pipesandcigars.com smoking pipes.com and 4 Noggins just to name three. I found it just as economical to buy decent tobacco from them as buying the nasty stuff in plastic bags .
Good advice. One thing I'll add is that if you're looking for bulks, be sure to cross check what the prices are with Mars Cigars.
Mars Cigars

dillydallydan

Lurker
Feb 26, 2010
You know, that Tobacco Reviews is very informative. At least I thought so until I looked up all my favorite tobaccos to discover they sucked. Taste is subjective. I've never tried any Walgreen's tobaccos, but obviously some people must enjoy them.

unclearthur

Lifer
Mar 9, 2010
I check the reviews for folks with similar tastes to mine and then use the search function to read what they post.

igloo

Lifer
Jan 17, 2010
woodlands tx
I believe that the Wallgreens , CVS , or what have you .They probably sell more pipe tobacco and pipes than all the other so called pipe stores combined . Dr Grabow from coast to coast and if the tobacco was not selling they would not carry it . Makes one wonder if PA is the number one pipe blend in the nation . I smoke some expensive blends ,why because I can . That being said Iam still happy with a 3.96 pack of drug store baccy .

dudleydipstick

Can't Leave
Dec 13, 2009
Here Here Dudley: "You know, that Tobacco Reviews is very informative. At least I thought so until I looked up all my favorite tobaccos to discover they sucked. Taste is subjective."
Do you remember some past skepticism on my part?
Some of the reviews are outrageous and frou-frou. When I go there looking for information, the ones I pay attention to are the ones with the highest star rating. If they don't mince words too much, I'll put value in their review. Then it's on to the low ratings. If the review is focused on the tobacco instead of the author's refined palette, I'll tend to trust that also.
If you want to read the most pretentious and effete reviews I know of, you can check this out:
Absinthe Reviews
A bunch of hothouse orchids.

oppie

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 12, 2010
Chicago
My only negative on Walgreen tobacco is that they don't carry much of a nicotine hit. If you're not looking for that than I think they are fine to start off with. IMO

unclearthur

Lifer
Mar 9, 2010
For economy I usually buy Stokkebye tobaccos. They are relatively inexpensive and very good quality. It all comes down to what a fella can afford and what tastes good to them I think. It is fun to splurge on occasion and try the super expensive blends though!

Status
Not open for further replies.