W.D. & H.O. Wills of Bristol & London - (Very Image Heavy)

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 31, 2012
DrE77CI.jpg

wGwNOLx.jpg

5XK4keq.jpg

MfGS7Xc.jpg

YgyppJW.jpg

This installment of Antiquarian Nicotiana Brittanica will look at the largest firm of them all, but a comprehensive examination is far beyond the scope of possibility in a forum thread like this and I happily defer this responsibility to B.W.E. Alford, who wrote a marvelous history of the company, yet at a hefty 500+ pages, it is still an incomplete picture, but it remains the best available resource on Wills as well as the many other companies and the overall larger picture of the tobacco industry in the United Kingdom.
You can find a large portion of it online for free,

here:

W.D. & H.O. Wills and the Development of the UK Tobacco Industry: 1786-1965

By B.W.E Alford

m05yora.jpg

If the book does interest you, I would suggest finding yourself a proper paperbound hardcover edition of it - look for a 1973 edition as it can be found a good bit cheaper than the modern reprint.
Here's a partial review:

EiEjOm5.jpg

BqOQu3M.jpg

efKH351.jpg

GAR3HWv.jpg

Wills had many factories and bonded warehouses.
See this thread for a look into the factory operations:

http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/ye-olde-british-tobacco-factory-wills-circa-1934
7YrLBgH.png

sf8bY4p.jpg

lBfrnKF.jpg

PLPUARN.jpg

vZCf3lR.jpg

dPTTBB0.jpg

RIoL806.jpg

3yKQqWe.jpg

cHKijk2.jpg

iJE1Zi2.jpg

IFUDfoc.jpg

9NbJrMx.jpg

ZxwDuyl.jpg

Umk6e19.jpg

NPTYBBT.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XSY1QaW4PWY
:
The Bristol location was crucial to Wills's success.
deiQTN6.jpg

Zh7BVjl.jpg

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bristol_Harbour
Bristol boomed in the late 17th century as new colonies were founded in the West Indies and North America. Bristol was, obviously, well placed to trade with them because of its position in the West. Tobacco was imported from North America and sugar from the West Indies.
By 1670 half of Bristol's shipping was engaged in the tobacco trade, which was confined to London and Bristol until about 1710 when Liverpool, Glasgow, and northern ports such as Whitehaven began to challenge their dominance.
9ZXdDSK.gif

FOeNnUa.jpg

y7XquAB.jpg

vUHJ9kF.jpg

at0TLWB.png

The 1901 Tobacco War would alter the landscape dramatically, forever changing both Wills itself and the entire tobacco manufacturing industry in the United Kingdom.
jFXQMYl.png

qGxDiDe.png

Here's a timeline courtesy of

http://www.davenapier.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/wills/wdhowill.htm
A timeline of Events in the History of W.D & H.O. Wills
1786 Wills, Watkins & Co., 72 Castle Street (Henry Overton Wills' name appears in a Bristol Trade Directory for 1st time).
1789 Firm renamed 'Wills & Co.' (Watkins retired). H.O. Wills married Anne Day, the daughter of a Bristol Draper.
1790 Firm renamed 'H.O Wills & Co.' (Collins and Northcote retired).
1791 Firm renamed 'Lilly, Wills & Co' (Peter Lily, Henry Overton Wills, Richard Bowsher and Henry Cooke, partners), Business moves to 111-112 Redcliff Street (Lilly's premises).
1793 Firm renamed 'Lilly & Wills' (Cooke and Bowsher retired).
1803 Firm renamed 'Wills and Ditchett' (Lilly retired, Samuel Ditchett joined).
1804 Total net capital liability of the Company in June was £15,435 (2009 value: £1,080,000).
1805 Snuff Mill at Stapleton purchased for £850 (the firm had previously leased it from the Corporation since 1792).
1815 William Day and Henry Overton (2nd) joined the firm.
1819 Firm renamed 'Wills, Ditchet & Co.'
1820 Total net capital liability of the Company in June was £40,427 (2009 value: £2,710,000).
1826 2nd December: Death of H.O. Wills I. Buried at Penn Street Tabernacle, Bristol
1830 Firm renamed 'W.D. & H.O. Wills' (Ditchett retired).
1833 Firm renamed 'Ricketts, Wills & Co.' (Frederick Ricketts, W.D. Wills & H.O. Wills,
partners) 33 Mary-le-Port Street.
1842 Book value of the business was £90,000 (2009 value: £6,880,000).
1847 Firm renamed 'W.D. & H.O. Wills' (Ricketts retired).
1859 Firm renamed 'W.D. & H.O. Wills & Sons'.
1865 13th May: death of W.D. Wills following and road accident in London. Buried at Arnos Vale cemetery, Bristol.
1870 Extensions to Redcliff premises in Bristol and purchase of Cross Street premises in London.
1871 Cigarette Brand, Bristol introduced
1871 23rd November: death of H.O. Wills II. Buried at Arno's Vale cemetery, Bristol.
1874 Cigarette Brand, Passing Clouds introduced
1875 Move from Cross Street to new factory at 53 Holborn Viaduct, London.
1876 W.D. & H.O. Wills. Total capital employed in the business £526,000 (2009 value:£36,700,000).
1878 Cigarette brand, The Three Castles introduced.
1880 A total of 600 workpeople were employed by the Company in Bristol & London.
1883 Wills Virginia Cavendish Works opened in Baldwin Street, Bristol. First production using
Bonsack cigarette making machine (initially produced 200, later up to 600 cigarettes per minute).
1886 'No 1.' Factory, East Street, Bedminster opened 27th March.
1888 Wild Woodbine and Cinderella cigarettes launched in the UK.
1892 Total capital employed £756,000 (2009 value: £60,900,000).
1893 Acquired Sales, Pollard & Co., London. W.D & H.O. Wills Ltd came into being on 20th May.
1900 No. 4 Factory, Ashton Gate (transferred to the British-American
Tobacco Company in 1902 and returned in 1919).
1901 Formation of The Imperial Tobacco Company, issued capital £14,518,097 (2009 value: £1,170,000,000).
Purchase price of the Wills business - £6,992,221 (2009 value: £563,000,000).
1904 J & F Bell merged with Stephen Mitchell & Sons.
1906 'No. 3' Factory, Raleigh Road, Bristol.
1908 Glasgow Depot at Tobago Road.
1911 4th September: death of H.O. Wills III. Buried at Arnos Vale cemetery, Bristol.
1915 Swindon Factory (taken over for use as a munitions factory 1915-19).
1923 Dublin Factory at marrowbone Lane, manufacture moved to South Circular Road in 1929.
1928 First Molins Mark IV cigarette making machine introduced at Wills.
1929 Belfast Depot at Berry Street, moved to Castlereagh and became a 'House' in 1954.
1932 F & J Smith merged with Stephen Mitchell & Sons, Glasgow.
1933 Molins making machines converted to Mark V's.
1935 Molins Mark VI cigarette making machines introduced (produced 800 cigarettes per minute).
1937 Castella Panatella cigars introduced
1941 Molins rotary cutting machines introduced
1946 Foundations of the Newcastle factory laid in June
1949 Wills introduced tipped versions of Woodbine. Capstan Medium and Gold Flake.
1950 Newcastle-upon-Tyne Factory opened.
1952 Hauni cutting machines replaced Molins rotary cutters.
1953 Glasgow Cigarette Factory opened at Alexandra Parade.
1955 W.D. & H. O Wills and Wm. Clarke & Sons Dublin combined.
1957 Stephen Mitchell & Sons, Glasgow, amalgamated with W.D. & H.O. Wills.
1958 Molins Mark VIII cigarette making machines introduced (produced 2000 cigarettes per minute).
1959 First LEO computer introduced
1959 'Strand' cigarette brand introduced (TV ad. slogan "You're never alone with a Strand" caught on - but did not sell cigarettes, perhaps because the ad. associated the brand with loneliness).
1962 Embassy cigarette Brand with coupons launched (project code name 'Ugly Duckling').
1963 Glasgow Cigar 'No 14' Factory opened at Alexandra Parade.
1964 Wills World, monthly company newspaper launched.
1965 New KDF9 computer introduced.
1969 Redcliff Street premises demolished.
1974 First cigarettes produced at the new Hartcliffe Factory in Bristol. This was followed by transfer of cigarette production from 'No. 1' Factory in East Street, Bedminster and 'No. 4' Factory in Raleigh Road, Ashton, Bristol.
1977 Holborn Viaduct offices, London, closed.
1981 ITL unit boards of directors including W.D. & H.O. Wills board were disbanded and the 'ITL' board moved to the Wills Hartcliffe site.
1982 Wills London distribution depot closed.
1982 Cigarette production ceased at Wills 'No 12' factory, Glasgow.
1986 Hanson Trust take over Imperial Tobacco Limited.
1986 W.D. & H.O. Wills 200th anniversary.
1986 Factory buildings at East Street, Bedminster, Bristol demolished (frontage retained).
1987 Wills 'No. 5' factory at Swindon ceased production.
1988 'Wills' and 'Players' sales forces merged.
1989 Hartcliffe 'Head Office' building vacated.
1990 Closure of Wills Cigar factory 'No. 14' in Glagow and Churchmans factory in Ipswich.
1990 New ITL cigar factory set up in Winterstoke Road, Ashton Gate, Bristol.
1990 Hartcliffe factory ceases production, all ITL cigarette production moved to Nottingham.
1999 Hartcliffe factory demolished. (2009) The site is now a large retail park and the structure of the 'listed' office building has been converted into flats.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
u3CT5jf.jpg

For a thread about one of Wills most popular pipe tobaccos, Capstan,

see here:

http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/willss-capstan-navy-cut-a-short-salty-survey-image-heavy
Now we go into image overload,

enjoy the show!

:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rZ9a_bF-A1g

:
0LsRRz7.jpg

MH61Kmo.jpg

Fxht7qJ.jpg

qHfN1VI.jpg

Ffalu34.jpg

TaZJkSM.jpg

7nS2IPk.jpg

qzmd09z.jpg

2hyAAgs.jpg

kMHg9i8.jpg

5UrRec1.jpg

jPQXBW8.jpg

Zkwejpp.jpg

IJo0xk4.jpg

53fmaUd.jpg

tGxnFcf.jpg

nW5V5DW.jpg

ohiZvK9.jpg

h3fAuwk.jpg

aOjZgty.jpg

M4MPYfq.jpg

S03Rma9.jpg

RU3nZ80.jpg

RRYCtx9.jpg

xANDDzt.jpg

4oe0V6j.jpg

AYOX8P3.jpg

hcOB5y6.jpg

hKrHG9Y.jpg

WF0TA4Z.jpg

UPr58Dl.jpg

Oq3Mdeu.jpg

0MCNNoZ.jpg

uujY1JA.jpg

5fBWI3J.jpg

H8F5urw.jpg

EZPqihO.jpg

g8Cj3os.jpg

8zMsFAy.jpg

xVEprda.jpg

0Z6bFkT.jpg

nXKYuAN.jpg

wAfYjSb.jpg

1wYDXfA.jpg

m4fto2o.jpg

qs2lcXb.jpg

ilfz5ZA.jpg

hdJeS1l.jpg

HVl83WL.jpg

E8j9Se6.jpg

tTU5sRb.jpg

FPopRd7.jpg

MgVRNzn.jpg

J2IXbvF.jpg

nAoVwKq.jpg

aH9cd0h.jpg

iFi11HA.jpg

OJO2gk3.jpg

ygeh58a.jpg

Fe9LZ17.jpg

Ee96YNK.jpg

Gsq92GR.jpg

G3lp9pD.jpg

Xwt5KOM.jpg

c85V9gx.jpg

sgCcMTf.jpg

FQAgjLq.jpg

LZNWaYq.jpg

KtNMoqx.jpg

BeTIEg6.jpg

av25Ga1.jpg

R92DAug.jpg

wbKhXGn.jpg

ITut8f0.jpg

SsLAeeE.jpg

oY8CIdA.jpg

1Ad19tF.jpg

11wVqzp.jpg

XNlp9Nx.jpg

Md4Ut9i.jpg

WeO9cIi.jpg

IMJ65mz.jpg

NaK4OAI.jpg

mLWj02o.jpg

TD1muZ8.jpg

wuThX7k.jpg

C2BRDdU.jpg

POY1jvP.jpg

LWvyMrF.jpg

J4WhcMd.jpg

I4HhTuB.jpg

3FNYbqr.jpg

121XKZh.jpg

pAl2ZID.jpg

pWZrB0i.jpg

Eu5kYA3.jpg

0T3VLkN.jpg

FLc2GAn.jpg

mQxlthJ.jpg

wjsYO1r.jpg

0VnSn7k.jpg

aOec4tj.jpg

xM9MDL4.jpg

FEWmtEV.jpg

PwJJS2t.jpg

9soRHE6.jpg

INOlSaT.jpg

2NKif0r.jpg

W1flffE.jpg

0MWEYcZ.jpg

um5w2QL.jpg

wvPxXzJ.jpg

8CUq5xq.jpg

UsPZKZL.jpg

snTlRmK.jpg

sLLONUd.jpg

XETsW5K.jpg

OzK9tVh.jpg

fuTd6zl.jpg

Qowt3KB.jpg

cWcr5Xw.jpg

FVqz5ik.jpg

sS0QJ74.jpg

YxOLE27.jpg

5UtxJQH.jpg

JCT1P5i.jpg

g4CoZwX.jpg

jH56MHS.jpg

zJ3uzYH.jpg

59dZoUX.jpg

9tc8kHA.jpg

nwZ5q3v.jpg

avKBw3C.jpg

WwKqE7Y.jpg

LmCb1xc.jpg

6Zcna7U.jpg

3hmXq3o.jpg

AU2bwJf.jpg

UOdhtwg.jpg

l5GdhGk.jpg

Pie88kg.jpg

yJhbHbd.jpg

ZBkWIES.jpg

rzMN1QG.jpg

c2VtxRw.jpg

AKjDqis.jpg

I26tYQt.jpg

lspwSs4.jpg

z7bot61.jpg

US4fqBb.jpg

1yuQ0lT.jpg

kpChGvE.jpg

z6GS9Ii.jpg

OATyFOS.jpg

ApSGq3O.jpg

OYHIkCD.jpg

:

lochinvar

Lifer
Oct 22, 2013
Troy, you are a jewel. I love every thread you start, it's like a pipe tobacco history course.

May 31, 2012
I started doing these kinds of posts because I could find no comprehensive archive of such online, and this is the sort of thing I was looking for but never found.
The pipesmagazine.com formatting is the perfect vehicle for such a thing because it allows for a huge stream of continuous images.
I began collecting images whenever I came across them and then tried to collate them into some sort of cohesive digital curation.
I usually fall short on providing concrete textual background information of any real depth, but I do hope the presentation of the visual record can be enjoyed on its own merits.
I love finding this stuff!
A few more:
j9lGK9m.jpg

g2vtXnz.jpg

zt1ggrT.jpg

d9g0XK9.jpg

A few small additional images from Worthpoint, starting with a scarce LATAKIA tin:
9kkh0NP.jpg

Nmc0aKr.jpg

z9IDPGH.jpg

hJQAb8U.jpg

PRMKlLJ.jpg

YOWHboL.jpg

z5G5n1O.jpg

ISicAow.jpg

W4hP7OY.jpg

kDeIDSX.jpg

OtjOHN8.jpg

nUzpUyB.jpg

EUyHVvj.jpg

Ntiw9kQ.jpg

NMV1ucd.jpg

uXBogDy.jpg

Ba8zGBn.jpg

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
Great stuff MLC...once again you've earned your Minister of Tobacciana title.

K

klause

Absolutely cracking post, Troy - I could spend hours looking at this stuff and pondering !!! Thanks for taking the time to do this.
Quite some time ago I was fortunate enough to acquire a cutter-top of the Bulwark Cut Plug - this post has just reminded me that I still have a few flakes kicking around in a jar somewhere - think I'll have to dig it out and retire to the greenhouse............
Keep 'em coming, Troy - your posts brighten the day.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
What an incredible visual history of tobacco merchandising, marketing, advertising, brand development, etc.

Some of the art work is amazing. I always wondered where the fish avatar came from, but now I know. Those

old factory buildings are amazing for both size and style. I'm from a tobacco state, but all of the monumental

factories made cigarettes. I guess pipe tobacco was a sideline around here. I like the painting of the pub where

all the customers are birds.

May 31, 2012
Quite some time ago I was fortunate enough to acquire a cutter-top of the Bulwark Cut Plug - this post has just reminded me that I still have a few flakes kicking around in a jar somewhere...
Sounds good Jason!

:puffy:

Over the last couple of years that I've been gathering these images, it would seem as if Bulwark may have been equal, or even more popular, than Capstan - according to the number of surviving tins. It does beg the question as to what the survivor rate may have been? Maybe 1 out of 25 tins got saved, all others in the dustbin? An empty tobacco tin had an infinite number of handy uses around the house, as well as out in the field...
...in this case,

to keep penguin eggs!

Nt5XXKS.jpg

VJLtrzv.jpg

Eggs (4), penguin, stored in cigarette and tobacco tins, shell / metal / paper, collected during the British, Australian and New Zealand Antarctic Research Expedition (BANZARE), Antarctica, 1929-1930
And it reminds me that I forgot to mention just how important a role the cutter-top tin played in Wills development - they had exclusive use of it and it was the perfect vehicle to carry Wills tobacco, freshly kept, all across the farflung British Empire, in all climes and conditions.
books

In 1887 Wills took an important technical lead through an improvement on a patent in which they already enjoyed exclusive rights. For many years, Wills had purchased tobacco tins - which were essential in the export trade - from W.B. Williamson & Sons, metal box makers of Providence Works, Worcester. In 1885, however, Williamson patented a new airtight tin and he granted Wills a monopoly of its use in an official stamped letter.
MFuqroF.jpg

Specification No. 11,378 is the original patent, from 1885.
The improvement of a cutter lid was added in 1886:

books

books

Founded in 1858 by William Blizzard Williamson, the firm made a range of everyday household wares in sheet steel and tin plate. W.B. Williamson died in 1878, leaving the works to his sons William and George.
The latter invented the 'cutter tin' lid for cigarettes and tobacco, which kept tobacco fresh for longer.
The invention brought increased business to the firm, as well as to the tobacco importers W.D. and H.O. Wills, to whom Williamson was sole supplier.
In 1890 William left the business and George formed G.H. Williamson & Sons Ltd. George died in 1918 and was succeeded by his son, G.E. Williamson. By this time the patent for the 'cutter lid tin' had expired.
Sm8xdFF.jpg

K

klause

Troy, you've staggered me!!!!
I've always loved a cutter tops, and lamented their passing. They just seem so right. Civilised, even.
Now, I have a new understanding and deeper appreciation. That's my new knowledge for the day - cheers, Mate.
Now - where's my old cutter tops, there's eggs in the chicken house to collect.....

lestrout

Lifer
Jan 28, 2010
Chester County, PA
Yo mlc - I always look forward to your posts, always brim full of erudition and knowledge. Your images are special treats for the eye. But this one is just astounding, and astonishing too! Kevin owes you at least a case of cutter top Wills tins for your choosing PM as your avenue of passing on your information. PM has become the richest pipe forum in the world, and your posts are a significant part of that.

docwatson

Lifer
Jul 2, 2009
New England
OMG this is amazing stuff. Thanks for being the computer magician and putting all this historical information together for us to share. Just incredible.

Status
Not open for further replies.