PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
After years of school, four years in the Navy, and more years of school, I finally bought my first car new in 1974, a red VW bug with the larger taillights beginning (I think) that year, but not the enlarged version, just the classic. It improved my social life no end, and two years later I was married. It was not the best of the brand, had an accelerator cable that eventually took to dangerously slipping off the pedal, and late in my ownership had some gas tank fumes in the interior compartment. But it gave me a good ten years of use. When we'd go to the mountains to camp and hit the steep climbs after dark, I thought I'd blown the engine; no, I just needed to stay in second or third gear. Not much torque. As we've all heard, the bug is defunct for now. The later versions were not air-cooled nor easy to maintain by their owners, but they maintained the tradition. Those of us who were driving in the 1960's remember what a revolution the little bug was as a compact alternative to the big American land yachts that ruled the road. The VW ads were masterpieces of their kind. I've owned Japanese brands ever since, after trying and trying to get American brand car dealers to talk to me; there was some strange cultural divide; believe me I tried. Some actually told me, in the '80's the quality was poor. Others actually wouldn't stop to talk. Then I'd go down to Nissan, Subaru, or Mazda, and their attention was riveted. Shrug. I don't know what that was about. Anyway, that VW was a trooper, and I suspect the design will arrive again, re-envisioned to suit the times ... maybe self-driviing and solar powered ... or more likely, technically beyond my predictions.

Just out of college, I started collecting Bugs. That was before the boom of the 90's, and I could find one in a barn for $300 and drag it home. I kept three running at all times. The genius of German marketing was to send over three car's worth of parts for every fully assembled cars. They intended for them to run forever. And, they were easy as hell to fix. I was driving one home from buying it in Texas for $100, when the seal went out on it. I dropped the engine on the ground on the side of the road, lifted the car up over the engine to access the seal, then returned the car over the engine and lifted it in place by myself. No other car was that easy to fix.

What was it... seven bolts, two wrenches and a screw driver was all that was needed to remove the engine.
My daughter drives one of the new watercooled ones. They just don't have the same mystique as an air cooled car. And, the air cooled car is immortal. It will run through the dessert to the arctic. It is invincible. But, it had the world's worst heater. It would singe the hair off of your ankle, leaving you still freezing and having to wear a coat while driving.

The new watercooled cars are merely regular cars with a novelty shape. Whereas the original Bug was that shape for specific reasons.

weezell

Lifer
Oct 12, 2011
I had a 1967 and a 1968 Bug. Drove the 67 from Lima Ohio to Odessa, Texas. From there to Brownsville, then to New Orleans, to Jacksonville, Florida. Went back to New Orleans for two of the best months of my life. To bad I can't remember it LOL. The car was red and I named it the F40. Some of you will know what that was referencing to :rofl:. Two year journey starting at age 18...

Jan 8, 2013
The Bug/Beetle was reintroduced as a front engine automobile in the 90's and has been a somewhat popular car since it's reintroduction, and the styling was revamped once again for the 2018 model.

Jan 8, 2013
as they are not true Beetles.
The same could be said of any reintroduction car, really. But I agree, the old Bugs were a different animal. I had a friend who's father built racers out of old VW Bugs. Man, they were fun to find old dirt roads with.

bnichols23

Lifer
Mar 13, 2018
SC Piedmont
The gasoline "heater" on the early models would asphyxiate you, too, if you weren't careful. Their ad campaigns were unadulterated genius. "Did you ever wonder how the guy who drives the snowplow, gets to the snowplow?" Doyle Dane Bernhach's print ads: "America's slowest fastback," etc., were merchandising classics!

weezell

Lifer
Oct 12, 2011
Yea, my dad also had a 1974 Super Beetle that had the curved wind sheild as opposed to flat.On my two I had 2 ice scrapers, one for the ouside and one smaller to scrape the inside windows...

ukbob

Lifer
Dec 3, 2016
Norfolk. England.
Have had a couple of bugs in the past a 1970 and a 1974 absolutely great cars, still see some around town. Might have to think about getting another one.

prndl

Lifer
Apr 30, 2014
Had a '71 model modded out with dual headers that made her sound like a pissed-off Porsche. Folks could hear me coming a block away (there were times that was NOT an advantage) and I could beat anybody off the line for those first 12 feet. The next 12 feet might get little close but, hell, she sounded good doing it.
Drove her to California and all thru the West Coast, up cold mountain passes and hot desert strips for 2 years and she never missed a beat. The metal bit on the gas pedal end of the accelerator cable came off on old Route 66 near Bluewater, N.M. on the way back from the coast. Stretched the cable and vise-gripped her to the pedal and hummed all the way back home. There are days I wish I still had that car.
I'm just proud she couldn't talk. I'd have been arrested years ago.

weezell

Lifer
Oct 12, 2011
Parents thought the girls were safe in those bugs because they were so small. Seats laid down flat :wink: :D ...

Jun 27, 2016
Fun fact: You were able to buy them newly-built in Mexico through 2004! Or how about a brand-new South African A1 four-door Rabbit through 2009? Also, China was making face-lifted A2 Jettas as of a handful of years ago, & they still might be as of today!

There was more room in Bug than some of today’s hatchbacks. They didn’t have all of the insulation that today’s cars have. But, the sheet metal on the body was heavy gauge and stronger than today’s cars. A big man could feel comfortable in a Bug, and there was room to “play.” Ha ha

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
My little '74 was rear-ended sitting stock still at a red light by a guy who'd borrowed his sister's car and went driving for a wine drunk in her big old station wagon. I had to fight my insurance company for "uninsured motorist" coverage through the state attorney general. Then the insurance company called me real fast with approval. Then the bug had to be stretched and straightened with one of those hydraulic racks body shops use. It took a few weeks, and I got to know a great Indian guy who carpooled me to work, who'd been in the mass migration in 1947 from the new Pakistan to India after the partition. I ended up attending his house warming with a banquet of fabulous Indian food, some of it embellished (no kidding) with actual gold! So the VW took me, and sent me, many places. It gave me another three or four years. By then I sold it for most of what I'd paid for it new. What a car.

bluto

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 24, 2018
Didn’t top gear report the Toyota Corolla has conquered the vw beetle as the world most ubiquitous car , longest produced , longest lived .

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
My dad's last car wasn't a Corolla, but another subcompact, the Tercel. During some of his last times, I drove it around my home area and it was a blast, more pep than you'd ever expect from a little four-banger. My wife has a Yaris, which I drive these days to keep it running. Have to take it in on a recall for the exploding air bags. Toyota makes some stalwart metal, but has never quite mastered the area of design, but will definitely get you to and from.

Status
Not open for further replies.