PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

brdavidson

Lifer
Dec 30, 2012
Wide open, I find then that sipping is all I need to keep the pipe lit. With a restricted draw I always feel like I'm working at the bowl to keep it going. I have a Savinelli straight billiard that I took the filter out and it is a very wide open draw now. Keeps flakes going like a champ.

lochinvar

Lifer
Oct 22, 2013
Medium. I hate a pipe that is too tight, I feel like I'm fighting an uphill battle to keep it lit, but not overheat it. I don't like too open a draw because it seems to dilute the flavor too much for me. So all I really want is perfection.

Although I find it difficult to smoke a pipe with too tight a draw or too open, I do like a range. I feel more like a driver that adjusts to the car, than a driver who prefers just one type of car. When I get a new pipe, I enjoy learning how it likes to be smoked, instead of trying to make the pipe conform to me.
A tighter drawing pipe tends to smoke cooler because it forces me to slow down. An open draw tends to stay lit better and allow for breathsmoking, where I just passively let the smoke drift in and out. Either way.
If I was pushed into an either or situation, I would probably cast my lot in with the open draw crowd, just not too open. I hate sucking ash and tobacco flakes through the stem.

layinpipe

Lifer
Feb 28, 2014
Open. All my Italians are perfectly open and have a great draw. My Castello Panelled Sea Rock has, by far, the best draw of any of my pipes. I cannot help but say enough good things about Castello, they are very nice pipes and i am very glad i pulled the trigger and scored on the pipe i did. It is one of the best pipe making decisions i have made yet.
My Tom Spanu F3 also has a fantastic open and cool smooth draw to it as well, another Italian. I think they are on to something...

phred

Lifer
Dec 11, 2012
Wide open. It's a lot more forgiving for the newbie smoker - one more reason MM Cobs get highly recommended. Once you've got the basics down, you can put the filter back in and learn how to adjust to a tighter draw... :P
I've opened up the draw on 2 pipes (not counting ditching filters), but I've never had a need to tighten the draw up on any.

kanaka95

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 2, 2014
Gotta go with the open draw myself.It also helps with packing preference as well.

Aug 1, 2012
I lean more toward open but really haven't fallen for the wide-open draws that some favor. I like a little resistance but not much. I've opened the draw on a few of my pipes and it usually helps.
The flip side of that coin is an Edwards I have that has the tightest draw I've ever seen/felt. It smokes VA flakes wonderfully though so it's getting left that way.

bentmike

Lifer
Jan 25, 2012
Medium to full open. I adjust my pack and sip cadence to the particular pipe. I agree a pipe with a wide open draw is much easier to keep lit.

Status
Not open for further replies.