Recent Posts

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

3rdguy

Preferred Member
Aug 29, 2017
Midwest
Wife had work in Mississippi and since I take January off I decided to drive down with her, get her settled and fly back to Iowa. As we settled in for the night in western St Louis I mentioned to her " I did not realize MM is so close to here." I explained what it was yet honestly thought it was quite a way west of St Louis...it's not...pretty short drive! She said "Let's do it!" Who am I to argue?
Beautiful town Washington, MO is. We would like to revisit in the summer. They have 445 buildings on the National Register of Historic Places. Phil Morgan opened the door for us and answered all of our questions. Dan Nemets also came out to help us out. One benefit of stopping in person is you can hand pick your "Seconds" grab bag. I ended up with a few Dagners in mine. Any picture I could have taken has pretty much been covered already.
I did manage to get one with our dog Diva however..

Worth the trip if you get in the area!

huntertrw

Preferred Member
Jul 23, 2014
The Lower Forty of Hill Country
I have had the distinct pleasure of visiting the factory twice, and it is always a treat. Washington is a beautiful town, too, with some fine restaurants.
On both of my visits I saw the office cat, but did not have the pleasure of meeting the dog pictured above. How long do you suppose it has been smoking a corn-cob pipe?

3rdguy

Preferred Member
Aug 29, 2017
Midwest
Thanks all!
That is our dog. However they do have a resident cat & dog! Wife runs a canine business so as things got flowing we were allowed to bring her in.
I am holding the C&D Charles Towne Cobbler Corn Cob Pipe. Phil stated this is not a limited release or anything, they will be making enough to meet demand. They did not have any upstairs and actually went back and grabbed me one.

agnosticpipe

Preferred Member
Nov 3, 2013
Glad you had a nice time, and thanks for sharing the photo. I would like to visit sometime too.

mikethompson

Preferred Member
Jun 26, 2016
That sounds like an interesting visit. Good to see you got some nice souvenirs for yourself too!

mso489

Preferred Member
Feb 21, 2013
Washington, Mo., and Sparta, N.C. where Dr. Grabow is located, are the two great remaining U.S. pipe factories, shrines of the industry, along with St. Claude in France.

5star

Nov 17, 2017
I think I would’ve had to wrap the stem in bacon to get our dog to do that !

Status
Not open for further replies.