PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

geoffreycox

Lurker
Jan 10, 2010
Hey guys,
Finally made my trip to Cornell & Diehl in Morganton, NC. Chris & Patty welcome the wife and I with open arms. After a brief chat with Patty, Chris proceeded to show us around the facility. Although the building seems small for such an operation every square foot was utilized efficiently. We saw the raw tobacco that comes in in 400lb boxes, the Latakia that's in large blocks wrapped in burlap. And yes you can smell the Latakia through the wrappings. We saw the cutters that cut up the tobacco both raw and the blends that have been pressed. We saw the blender doing his thing, sorry I forgot his name but you know him from the pipe shows. We went upstairs and saw several larger 'tables' where the tobacco dries for at least 24 hours depending on the blend. One of the tables was covered in Autumn Evening and it smell wonderful. Once back downstairs I asked and was granted to opportunity to smell perique all by itself. I was surprised at how mellow it smelled but after thinking about it I have to admit that by this time my olfactory nerves were most likely saturated with all the wonderful smells.
We finally saw the area where the tinning is done. It appeared that GL Pease blends make up a lot of the blends produced here. Finally I presented my list of 10 tobaccos that I wanted to take with me and Chris was happy to oblige me. Most of them he was able to pull off the shelf but some had to be tinned and one of them even had to be blended. What an awesome visit, if you're ever in the area you must stop by and see them. They do ask that you call the day before to make sure that they can accommodate you.
Thank you, Chris and Patty for the tour.
You can see the pictures here:
http://picasaweb.google.com/cox.geoff/CornellDiehl?feat=directlink

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
What a fantastic tour! Thanks so very much for all the pictures; what an interesting operation. And it brings such great perspective since we only see these products on store shelves or online ads. I hope you blog-up this post so we can continue to refer to it after this thread fades into cyberspace. Maybe Bob/Python can help you with that.

jonesing

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 11, 2010
Very cool.
Not what I expected it to look like. Makes me appreciate C&D even more. Has the feel of a family business.
Could be an emu. Not sure I know the difference In any case a big ass bird.
Thanks for posting this!

mrsmokeyman

Lurker
Dec 19, 2009
kinda reminds me of the dan pipe tobacco factory in lauenberg germany. I went there in 2005 and was very lucky to get a personal tour of the place by none other than michael apitz himself. unfortunately my german is pretty shit, but my partner explained anything that i didnt understand fully. there was something like 120 tonnes of tobacco in storage there.
truly amazing. my black shoes were literally brown with tobacco dust after the visit and you could smell the tobacco from outside on the road.
well worth a visit if you are in germany.

dudleydipstick

Can't Leave
Dec 13, 2009
Could be an emu. Not sure I know the difference In any case a big ass bird.
From the tin description of C&D's Elegant Emu:
"A Runowski/Tarler blend of White Cubed Burley, Latakia, Red Virginia, Perique and Black Cavendish. Those who have visited us will recognize our neighbor who inspired the name and label design! One of our new "Simply Elegant" Series and the Chicago Pipe Club Show Blend of the Year for 2007."
Sounds like a tobacco worth trying. Along with the 200 or so other blends they have.
ElegantEmuRev.gif

geoffreycox

Lurker
Jan 10, 2010
I've heard the stories about how 'Elegant Emu' was named and at 1st I thought I was looking at the emu...but upon viewing some pictures of both birds I can't say for sure that this is an Emu. Looks more like an ostrich. But from what I understand there is not much difference between the two.

sapo59

Can't Leave
Dec 29, 2009
There used to be a lot of Emu farms around here. The farmer soon found they where very expensive to raise, so they let them loose. It's not impossible to see emus out in the woods here in Tennessee now.
Cool tour sorry got off topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.