PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
About $3.50 an ounce in sample packages, from Pipes and Cigars.
Online sellers offer 5 pounds for about $2.50 an ounce.

I have six pounds of the very similar Sutliff Luxury Navy Flake aging and two more I’m smoking on, except Luxury Navy Flake has a dollop of Perique.

This is pure, flue cured Virginia pressed into flakes. Period.

Sutliff's Virginia Slices (507-C) are long strips of sliced flake-pressed bright Virginias which deliver a sweet, all-natural smoke with notes of hay, grass, and citrus. This is a superb quality European-style Virginia flake at a very nice price. Fans of flue-cured flakes will love Sutliff Virginia Slices.

Every lover of the pipe should have some of this in their cellar.

It tastes very similar to $10 an ounce Capstan Blue, only at a third to a quarter of the price. Straight Virginia tastes like newly mown hay, citrus, with notes of tea and lemon. It’s delicious, and has enough nicotine to satisfy.

Flue cured Virginia tobaccos improve with age. Buy some now, before the do gooders make it more expensive.

This doesn’t smell bad in the room, it just doesn’t smell like cotton candy at the fair.

E5CC32E3-928F-4A40-B8C5-B4666EE32D6D.jpegC2BFF793-5A44-442D-9373-35C019A77909.jpeg843E4B3F-2701-4E80-95DF-032A19D4A915.jpeg

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
My dear boy, you are growing up. Now if we could only get you to play with some grown up pipes, what a man you would be.

Merry Christmas!

Mustafa Sahnoun

Pipes and Cigars right now have a special on $19.95 Italian briar pipes, and due to the strength of the dollar, today $150 will buy a brand new pipe, the equivalent or better than any Lee Three Star grade.

Peterson Sherlock Holmes Heritage Pipe Hudson P-LIP - https://www.cupojoes.com/peterson-sherlock-holmes-heritage-pipe-hudson-p-lip/

I’m still buying pipes, but I have over a hundred Lees, average cost $30.

3E1BB6CA-21E0-452F-A2BA-B3703D074895.jpeg3D6448E7-522E-4EEF-9C17-D7085320C261.jpegA617534E-9E6F-487C-898B-B2F5D1354CEE.jpeg

My latest purchase was this $44 (delivered) Lorenzetto Bruyere Extra, a bit dinged.

BE1B85BC-40D6-488B-BB0F-9017CA66AF39.jpeg44822D53-8000-4B36-9B28-4272D5EAFC06.jpeg

Adjusted for inflation, we are living in a golden age of pipes and tobacco in the United States not seen since Lees were brand new.

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
Sorry but I find very little similarity with Capstan Blue.

You probably have a more developed palate.

Both are described as straight flue cured Virginias.

No doubt each uses a special sauce to press the tobacco into flakes.

But it’s sort of like ordering a Coke and the girl at the window says, will Pepsi do you, honey?

It’s a substitute, that you don’t mind at all.

Reactions: gervais
Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
I found the Sutliff to be significantly milder in flavor. I see Sutliff as a lighter Virginia, the Blue as a medium to dark. I think the Blue has more complexity. I think you’re talking mellow yellow Vs doctor pepper.

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
Whenever JC and me and the other folks play on the courthouse square at Hermitage, we’ll get requests for all the old standard honky tonk tearjerkers.

Virginia Slices might be like Web Pierce’s version of I Overlooked an Orchid, While Searching for a Rose.

Not the first, maybe not the best, but one of my favorites, among em’.

Got $7 extra, making an order?

Try Virginia Slices.

Or buy an extra cheeseburger at the drive thru, for the same money.:)

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
Is this similar to Peter Stokkebye Luxury Twist Flake? I recently tried some and it is very good.
Yes, I have PS Luxury Twist Flake, and the Stokkebye version seems to have used a cocoa essence to make the flakes.

Sort of like ordering an orange Whistle, and the waitress says Hon, we only serve orange Fanta here.:)

None of those tobacco manufacturers grow and flue cure Virginia leaf.

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
My mother’s parents lived, after Pomme De Terre dam took their farm, at Hermitage.

My grandmother was “Ma” Agee, who wrote all the obituaries and a humorous column every week in The Index, a newspaper on the square in Hermitage, from the late teens until she died in 1980.

Alas, I could never pick the Wildwood Flower, but I learned all the words. We sang and played every old song and every new hit on the radio with her playing the piano to rival Moon Mullican.

If there are any videos of us, or even modern sessions, I’m not aware of any to post.

The Mennonites are close to Campbellites, in their music.

Here’s the Great Speckled Bird, probably the test for a Campbelitte lead singer the same as the Wildwood Flower is for the pickers.

I hope I sound like this, and if I don’t it’s not for lack of practice.

Ma Agee had me lead out, What a beautiful thought, I am thinking, since I was about six years old.

Old time music, is in our blood.