PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jon11

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 25, 2013
I was looking for an inexpensive pipe that I could throw in my pocket and carry around with me easily. I decided to buy a Vintage Stout Ropp Apple. Well I’ve been smoking this pipe everyday for the last week and I love it. The horn stem is comfortable and softer than acrylic, the pipe is small with a nice size chamber, and the fit and finish is great. Needless to say today I ordered a Vintage Stout Tomato, Billiard, and Paneled Apple. Highly Recommended!

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I have a Bruyere St. Claude with a horn stem that is very enjoyable.
002-701-0707.jpg

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
I had been lured by these pipes earlier, but some negative reviews steered me away from them. Might consider them again, dunno. Is horn as prone as vulcanite to toothmarks? Acrylic seems more resistant to them.

jon11

Oct 25, 2013
No, horn is not as prone as vulcanite to tooth marks. I’ve clenched the one I have pretty hard over the last week with no marks

jon11

Oct 25, 2013
By clenching hard I mean biting down occasionally as not to lose my pipe from my mouth. When I’m working in the yard at times when I’m leaning over or what not I do tend to clench hard so my pipe doesn’t fall out. As far as clenching when I’m sitting down, it’s more of a hang.

But my point is that horn stems don’t leave marks as easily as vulcanite

May 8, 2017
Sugar Grove, IL, USA
I have two smokes into a Stout bulldog. The stummel is nicely shaped with unremarkable grain. The finish looks to be a semi gloss coating of some sort--not just wax. The bulldog rings almost look like they were added after the stain was applied as they are lighter in color, rather than the more typical darker tone, but maybe it's just a result of how they're applying the finish. The stem is nicely fashioned like a pipe from the 1920s, which I normally dislike, but I knew that going in. I am impressed, however, by how well crafted the mortise and tenon are. The tenon seems to be delrin, is chamfered, and of the proper length for the mortise. As others have mentioned, the horn is surprisingly forgiving. Remarkably, something about the shape of this pipe's chubby stem, which becomes almost oval shaped at the button, makes it possible to clench fairly comfortably, given the light weight of the pipe. The draft is excellent, and the well-aged briar smoked cooly and sweetly immediately, without any bowl coating. The bowl it's fairly generously sized, about a group 4. For what I paid, I'm very pleased.

tslex

Lifer
Jun 23, 2011
I have one of these, purchased from SPC some years ago. Very pleasant to smoke; horn stem has a fine feel.

Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
I have had one from smokingpipes.com ,the pipe itself was well crafted, briar quality and draw exceeded my expectations but that horn stem (button part of it)was clumsy and uncomfortable feeling, so I went ahead and sold it,today when I think about it a replacement stem ought to have been ordered and the pipe kept further,but what is done is done and dusted,

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
This is an interesting upbeat take on horn stems. Before this, I hadn't read much about them, but there were brief mentions that made them sound fragile and uncomfortable. This is a whole new take. My one Ropp pipe has an acrylic stem, and I don't plan to buy a pipe just for the horn stem, but it opens my mind a little about them.

magicpiper

Jul 9, 2018
MCO
I bought one of their small Dublins from SPC about a year ago. No complaints. It’s a fine pipe. The horn stem does take some getting used to but works just fine. Not fragile at all. Shows no tooth marks or dings from being abused. I did notice the horn does have a slight smell. Nothing too bad. It’s just different. Noticeable but not a deal breaker. I’d order another one if I found a shape that’s absent from my collection.

May 3, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Shane Ireland has one that he's smoked in a few of the SmokingPipe's YouTube videos. Really nice looking pipes. I'm guessing they smoke really well since Shane's had his in his jaw for a couple of different videos, so it must be a regular in his rotation.

buck17

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 14, 2018
I also purchased one of these Ropps from smoking pipes as a light, small, travelling pipe. I got a straight bulldog. Been great so far.

jamban

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 6, 2018
I have one of their Vintage Superior Smooth straight billiards and it is the pipe i smoke the most. No complaints whatsoever. Except that button lip, as mentioned by some others above, took a bit of getting used to. But once you cross that bridge... ;{D

Status
Not open for further replies.