PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

2asprins

Lurker
Jan 7, 2012
Greetings all, my first post, or question rather. I just recently acquired a few tins of an old McClelland custom blend, made especially for Buchanan's Tobacco Shop in 1999, which I believe is now no longer around. I got 3 tins of a virginia blend and 3 tins of a latakia blend. 2 tins out of the 6, both virginias, seemed to have an ever so slightly bulged out bottoms. Just enough to give a slight bit when pushed in. Almost as if had just a bit of air in the tin. When shaken, all sound ok, like a new tin would. I was planning to sample one of each of these, but would there be any health concerns opening, such as possible botulism, as with a outdated can of food that has a liquid? These are the normal McClelland type tins with metal tops and bottoms and cardboard body. There are no leaks at all that I can detect. This is the first time I ever came across this situation, and the first time I had concerns over possibilities. Thanks for any replies or suggestions.

spartan

Lifer
Aug 14, 2011
Some pics might help determine whether or not your backy is smokable.
There's an issue with mold that you might watch out for. Some tobaccos have crystals when aged which is often mistaken for mold. Take a few pics and let the pros give you their best guess.
The cardboard sides might be something to worry about...

withnail

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 30, 2011
United Kingdom
First of all - welcome to the Forum! It is certainly the right place for getting information on anything pipe or tobacco related as well as for chatting about pretty much everything!
As mentioned above, mold would be the main concern with old tobacco. Although many people have smoked tobacco that is much older than the tins you have and it has been in perfect condition. My advice would be - open one tin, listening out to see if the seal was still intact and carefully look through the contents for anything out of the ordinary. If there is anything that looks strange, post some pictures here for further advice (see the stickies at the the top of the main forum page for image posting instructions).
I hope your tobacco turns out to be fine!

2asprins

Lurker
Jan 7, 2012
Thanks so much for a speedy reply! None are opened yet, and I must apologise to all, I did a closer inspection and found that the bodies of the tins are also metal. I just got them today and jumped to conclusions. One of the latakia tins was pretty well dinged all around so I peeled the label back and found the metal body. I was actually hoping for the sugar crystals, lol. I haven't had the luxury of tasting them yet even after all these years of smoking. Actually, that's the nice thing about pipes, there is always something new and refreshing that comes up with pipe tobacco, even with the old stuff. If the problem is with mold in the 2 tins, I won't worry too much if I open it. I won't breath wilst cracking the tin, and I'll have a large freezer bag for the ready to just dump the whole tin in immediately. Just the unknown renagade skin melting, global killing all known life on the planet type-bacteria that I'm afraid of. I guess it's worth a try opening one of the suspicious ones. Thanks again, I'll let everyone know how it turns out. If no one hears from me in a few days, run for the hills.

nsfisher

Lifer
Nov 26, 2011
Nova Scotia, Canada
Welcome aboard mate. Reckon you got a good question there mate. Figure i'd have to have the worst one of em checked out. You must have a local lab handy. If not, a University lab would be happy to test it for u for a small fee or donation. Its the approach i would take without hesitation.

2asprins

Lurker
Jan 7, 2012
Also, Thank you for the welcome! I hope to be able to contribute one way or another to the discussions, even only to put a smile on someone's face. My work schedule is terrible, but I will make time to come here as much as possible. It looks to be a friendly place. Thanks again everyone.

withnail

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 30, 2011
United Kingdom
Sounds like a good basis for a horror film! "It Came From The Tobacco Tin" about a mutant mold that spread, quickly wiping out the Health Police and their attempts to tax and legislate us out of existence. It's certainly a film I would go and see! :)

2asprins

Lurker
Jan 7, 2012
Sorry to disappear for a minute. I had to pop the dinged tin of latakia. It has a most delicious aroma, not over powering like a new can, and still quite moist. I had to light it up. I don't know if the mildness was designed for the custom blend or if its the age, or both. Whatever it is, I want to find more tins. Being a new member, I should have brought enough for everyone in the classroom, but it's worth getting scolded for. I took a picture, I'll try to figure out a way to get it on here, along with a pic of the other tin, after I get the courage to open and give it a try. By the way, I would definitely go see the new feature film "It Came From The Tobacco Tin" myself, many times, and cheer the mutant mold on each time it ate! LOL.

fred

Lifer
Mar 21, 2010
"The bulging is simply a sign that the tins have kept their seal and aging has been taking place as it should. his is a GOOD thing! (-: Pop those tins and enjoy!" OTD
Absolutely..!! This has been my experience as well. For tins that have really big bulges, I open them under a glass jar in order to avoid having to chase down tobacco that gets spread around the room... (-:

2asprins

Lurker
Jan 7, 2012
Greetings all, I have survived! Just jumping on here before leaving for work and giving an update to the tins. I popped the suspect virginia tin yesterday (Saturday) and it looked and smelled wonderful. I was hoping for sugar chrystals but nothing to the eye ... at first. I shook it around and did notice, with a little flashlight, I had microscopic sparkles on the really dark to black pieces. I'm going to pretend that is a bingo, and hold on to the other tins for as long as I can before temptation overwhelms me to open. By the way, both the samples, virginia and english, were wonderful. The virginia could stand a few more years though. Have to get running, good hunting and good smokes to all out there.

Aug 24, 2012
Thanks for the information. I just (figuratively) unearthed a stash of old McClelland's tins in a drawer in my basement from the mid-90's and many of them exhibited this condition. I popped the most deformed, a Christmas Cheer 1996 yesterday after reading this and was happy to see that it was in fine smoking condition, and rather tasty. I did notice that the sides of the tin appeared to be rather rough rather than the smooth white I found on some old, half-empty tins of other McClelland's tobacco in the same drawer. Is this something to be concerned with?

topd

Lifer
Mar 23, 2012
Emerson, Arkansas
I wouldn't ever worry to much about botulism in tobacco. Just keep in mind, you're

going to burn it, not eat it.

I have smoked musty old mildewed tobacco before when I was in places that I had no

chance of getting more, and without ill affects.

Status
Not open for further replies.