Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

verporchting

Lifer
Dec 30, 2018
47903C71-8E82-4087-8F80-BE4834ACD487.jpeg

Got this yesterday. I believe it’s from Het Pijpen Paleis in The Hague and there’s an address on the sticker (see case photo).

I’m guessing early to mid 20th century from orific bit and metal screw tenon but that’s a (very) general guess. 🤷🏼‍♂️

Nice condition and not beat up at all. Just wondering what I bought on a whim. Roughly the same cost as a tin of flake I also bought so I couldn’t resist. 😁

Any information or history would be appreciated! Google turned up a lot of Dutch newspaper ads so I’m thinking the Pipe Palace was a pretty popular tobacconist and pipe shop in the 70s but that’s all I could discover.

verporchting

Lifer
Dec 30, 2018
To me, it appears precolored and not very old. But, I'm just guessing from the pics. Has it been smoked?

Perhaps send pics and query the museum in Amsterdam.
Warren, it has definitely been smoked and has a decent cake that I’ll carefully trim back. It certainly looks pre-colored to me as well. The only reason I thought older was the orific stem but the metal screw tenon argued newer. Could easily be 1970-ish. Not sure. 🤷🏼‍♂️

Reactions: JOHN72

verporchting

Lifer
Dec 30, 2018
0CBBB760-D598-4674-89E8-79ECE10836EC.jpeg

Cleaned up easily. Definitely pre-colored but also smoked a decent amount, albeit gently. The pipe is in remarkably good shape with virtually no handling marks but the cake was close to a nickel in width. Stem was clean and properly clocked, and surprisingly the mortise was pretty well cleaned. Someone took nice care of this pipe but certainly used it.

I suspect this may have been a 1960-70 ish pipe from the metal screw in tenon but the orific bit has me a bit puzzled 🤔

I don’t think the stem is Amber but I’m not sure. Regardless, I’m pretty happy about this random find. Naturally I’ll smoke the tin of flake that I bought with it. 😃

I plan on smoking it this evening!

Pretty sure my father would call me a dumbass but I’ve been using his tyre shop knife as a pipe knife, lol. From the late 60s until he died this knife was always on the bench to find and pry nails and such then burnish the patches on thousands of tyre repairs. It’s so dull it wouldn’t cut butter but it’s ideal for cutting back cake! Besides, it makes me chuckle every I use it.

D5C7B831-97FE-4DD4-9FD1-F23DDB4923EE.jpeg

• Love
Reactions: Mortamyhr and seanv

jonasclark

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 4, 2013
Seattle
Gorgeous! It's basically the Dublin version of the Lee Van Cleef pipe: same calcined finish, same yellow Bakelite stem. Definitely 1950s and probably made in Austria by someone like Strambach or Andreas Bauer. I'm not big on straight pipes, but I'd be excited about this one!