PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

michalski

Lurker
Apr 16, 2013
Hey guys...
Anyone interested/owning vintage cars?

If yes, what you got and please post some pictures...
Personally, I always wanted to own vintage VW bug (pre-1967), hopefully within the next few months...I will stop dreaming and start owning. :)
Edit: Corrected capitalization in title per Rule #9, L.

Number Nine, Number Nine, Number Nine

tjameson

Lifer
Jun 16, 2012
Always been into all kinds of cars but mainly classic hot rods and muscle cars. I bought my first car when I was 14 for $400, a 1972 AMC Hornet. Loved that car and had so much fun working on it and sneaking it out of the backyard while my dad was gone and blasting around the neighborhood...no plates, insurance, drivers license lol Also had a 1971 Chevy Nova, 99 Silverado that I customized with go fast goodies, and my last car 2008 Honda Civic Si (definitely the best handling car I owned). Now Im down to one car that's really my wife's but we share it...the fast as hell 09 Toyota Prius in mint green hahahaha getting myself a vehicle soon and my wife says I need an SUV :( but I'm sure to throw some big tires on it and hit some trails. Can't leave anything the way I buy it.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I'm a fan of vintage cars more than muscle cars, the whole history and design of cars. I knew

and enjoyed riding in my grandma's 1938 Plymouth touring coupe when I was 5 or 6, and a long

sequence of family cars. I always drove in my late teens and twenties, and was a duty driver in

the Navy, but never owned a car until I was 27 and out of grad school. I still go to the occasional

antique auto auction and to various car shows and museums. The museum at the Indianapolis 500

track is well worth seeing, especially the old race cars, and the newer ones with the engines

custom made to fit under the skin of the car like the insides of a snake. It must cost untold sums

to create such race cars, but they are works of art. I'm a temperate driver; I just don't have the

concentration, but my late wife was what I joked was "NASCAR qualified." She didn't have great

eyes, and yet she knew where everyone was, and always took lane openings, but never annoyed

anyone by cutting them off. Incredible talent. One of our hot driving friends rode with her and

got out of the car pale as a ghost with knuckles white. I just went into a zen mindstate. When she

was ill, some guys in a pick up tried to run her down when she was alone, but it was hopeless.

She lost them with ease. Lucky she didn't run them into a bridge upright, which she might have done.

voorhees

Lifer
May 30, 2012
Gonadistan
I have a 1966 Mustang Fastback 2+2 with a 289. My parents bought it new in 1965. It needs full restoration, but its a great car.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I enjoy British pipes, cars and motorcycles. I have a poor man's roadster, a '79 MGB and a '66 Triumph chopper (for sale!). We use the MGB every chance we get in the summer. There are some other British sports car owners here as well.
Fathers Day last year (the hat was a gift!)

uberam3rica

Lifer
Sep 7, 2011
Capac, Michigan
I don't own an old car, but a freind of mines parents have a 67 Plymouth Belvedere in excellent condition, and a 60 something Jaguar E-Type in ok condition. I also have a friend who recently bought a 65 Chrysler Imperial, which is in excellent condition.

oldredbeard

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 20, 2012
My 1965 Ford Falcon Futura. It has the original 225 HP 289 CID V8 with 62,000 actual miles, and a C4 automatic, with dual exhaust.

dochudson

Lifer
May 11, 2012
I own this exact car out of HS and totaled it 2 weeks before reporting to the Army (drafted)
GTO_13.jpg

ciderguy

Can't Leave
May 30, 2013
I've always had a fondness for the Jaguar E-Type Series III, 1st Generation Mustangs, and the Datsun 240Z (Fairlady Z). I also like the AMC Eagle.

plateauguy

Lifer
Mar 19, 2013
Use to have a 1937 Chev pickup and a 1954 Studebaker pickup. I sold them when I needed cash, wish I still had them!
Thinking about vintage (1940-1960's) travel trailers.
PS - I forgot that I've owned a 1957 Chevy 2 door, and 1963 Impala, and a 1966 Dodge Charger- those were just what we could afford to drive, we didn't know they were "vintage", we thought they were just "used".

wyfbane

Lifer
Apr 26, 2013
Tennessee
Had a '70 Buick Riviera and a '71 Skylark. Many a sad Chevelle owner perished at the hands of that Skylark...
Ah, youth.

buzkirk

Apr 14, 2009
Humboldt Tn.
I have a 1961 Mercedez Benz 220 S limo, that I am in the process of selling and a few old 1936 Ford truck parts left.

Just don't have the passion for it any more.
All I want now is an old Gibson houseboat, and a river to sail it on.
Tom

buzkirk

Apr 14, 2009
Humboldt Tn.
I have a 1961 Mercedez Benz 220 S limo, that I am in the process of selling and a few old 1936 Ford truck parts left.

Just don't have the passion for it any more.
All I want now is an old Gibson houseboat, and a river to sail it on.
Tom

ciderguy

Can't Leave
May 30, 2013
Al, I know the AMC Eagle is an ugly beast, probably only second to ugliness to a VW Thing in most people's books. However, I like it nor for it looks but what it represents. It was the first affordable blending of a car with a 4-wheel drive Jeep like chassis. It also was capable of four-wheel drive on dry pavement, unlike its competitors. I think its a great car and represented a moment of innovation in the industry that I respect.

4dotsasieni

Jan 6, 2013
If you're ever in the Seattle area, you should make a pilgrimage to Issaquah (17 miles east). We have a XXX Burger Drive-in that is a mecca for classic cars and car buffs. Almost any weekend the lot will be full of '50's and older cars. They even have a Buddy Holly tour bus in the parking lot, and always great burgers and root beer in a classic '50's restaurant.
This past Saturday the whole of Front Street (the main drag) was closed off for the annual "Greenway Days" -- the whole town was filled with classic cars on display. Unfortunately, I came down with a bug and had to miss it - but next year........ :P

daytonsean

Lifer
Aug 28, 2012
Dayton
I don't own one, but luckily we get to restore them all of the time. Most recently we did a 70 Monte SS 454 from top to bottom. Completely restored, and the owner had original GM fenders, qtr panels, and all of the seat backs and interior pieces that he bought in the 80's. When he finally got around to repairing this vehicle, having the stock parts still wrapped in GM boxes made it a lot easier.
If I could own anything I would love a 58 Corvette. I seen a 57 T-Bird E engine go on the Mecum Auto Auction a few weeks back for top dollars. My wife would have that if she could find one of the seventeen that were built.

Status
Not open for further replies.