PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Seeker81

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 22, 2019
Hey everyone. Was just wondering how you all use the finer (somewhat dusty) baccy at the bottom of a jar.
I mean when you are coming to the end of an amount of tobacco you have in there and don't want to waste any.
BTW I mean the ribbon cut types mostly, but it may apply to any type of cut.
Thanks.

Seeker81

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 22, 2019
if it’s literally “dust” I would probably either use it on the top of a bowl, or toss it out in some cases. If there’s enough in there to make a bowl, just toss the chunkiest of the pile in first
Yeah that's what I ended up doing... Cheers for the response. I thought it might have maybe worked its way through the thicker bits and I would have ended up eating it but... smoked alright. A bit hotter than usual I think.

Reactions: diamondback

gervais

Lifer
Sep 4, 2019
Ontario
Yeah that's what I ended up doing... Cheers for the response. I thought it might have maybe worked its way through the thicker bits and I would have ended up eating it but... smoked alright. A bit hotter than usual I think.
Almost every time I pack a bowl and draw-test the pipe, I get a few little bits come through on me, unless I’m folding flakes. It eventually will plug itself with a few dry draws, I find. I may try a filtered pipe someday to see if there is a big difference, but I don’t mind spitting out a few little pieces ☺

Reactions: BROBS

lawdawg

Lifer
Aug 25, 2016
I just toss it. The dust at the bottom of a pint jar is maybe 10 cents or so worth of tobacco, depending on the price per ounce.

Epip Oc'Cabot

Can't Leave
Oct 11, 2019
I have always found the finer "dust" at the bottom can be a pleasantly different smoke. the finer texture combusts more rapidly, so a quieter, gentler draw is uuseful. But the finer texture means more surface area is combusting and you get more concentrated flavor and nicotine as well. i would not toss it... but enjoy its own "rarer" qualities.

Reactions: Seeker81 and BROBS

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
The snuff people in the pictures didn't wait until the dusty dregs. I would probably not wait until the dusty dregs were all that was left, but dump them and the rest remaining tobacco with another blend, mix it up, and pack it in a pipe. Sometimes these impromptu blends are surprisingly good and impossible to reproduce.

Reactions: Seeker81 and BROBS

danimalia

Lifer
Sep 2, 2015
San Francisco Bay Area, USA
I usually just chuck the true dregs. One thing that's interesting is that some blends use granulated Latakia or Perique, and so you might find a shit load of one of those components at the bottom of a bag/tin of a blend that uses it. Squadron Leader probably would have been a Lat bomb if all the Latakia at the bottom of the tin had been mixed evenly (kidding, sort of).

diamondback

Lifer
Feb 22, 2019
Rockvale, TN
I usually just chuck the true dregs. One thing that's interesting is that some blends use granulated Latakia or Perique, and so you might find a shit load of one of those components at the bottom of a bag/tin of a blend that uses it. Squadron Leader probably would have been a Lat bomb if all the Latakia at the bottom of the tin had been mixed evenly (kidding, sort of).

I’m definitely guilty of hand-mixing ribbons that I set out to dry, especially if the shades of the component tobaccos appear segregated.

Reactions: danimalia
Status
Not open for further replies.