Might Stick Around
Feb 21, 2014
Southern California
@rsuninv I like your philosophy!
Three things I'll never judge somebody about
What they eat

What they worship

What pipe tobacco they like
Friends don't let friends drink lite beer or cheap scotch though............a line has to be drawn.

My daughters went through a phase where they didn't want to eat meat. I said fine, we'll grow a garden, and now the entire yard sustains us year round. Hanging gardens, raised beds, and fruit trees.

Then they wanted to compromise more and say that we'd only eat meat that we raised or hunted, so now we go about twice a year to get our venison. We fish, and we have chickens and goats out at the farm that we harvest occasionally. We don't really do it for any other reason than just wanting to live our own way. Whether it's just grocery store packaged meats or vegetables (just add water) sort of stuff that turned us off or not knowing what was being done to the stuff before we eat it, we've just decided to incorporate our food into our daily routine of collecting rain water and making compost out of grass clippings and shredded junk mail. We're doing pretty good homesteading in suburbia, ha ha!!

metarzan

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 14, 2012
Philo I call eggs liquid chicken. As far as cheap Canadian Whiskey goes, can't beat Lord Calvert! No purple bag though... :(

rwramsey

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 15, 2014
I don't really consider myself a vegetarian, but we seldom eat meat, but will do so on occasion. We also like the Morning Star Farms products, and actually prefer some them to their meat alternatives, the 'Buffalo Chix Pati' is outstanding.

simnettpratt

Lifer
Nov 21, 2011
@archy and racerx: Yep, x has it, straight outta Leviticus.
@rsun:

Three things I'll never judge somebody about
What they eat

What they worship

What pipe tobacco they like
Friends don't let friends drink lite beer or cheap scotch though............a line has to be drawn.
Yeah baby! I've been sorely tested though, and I'm going to rat out one of our best and most famous forum members: lonestar Ryan Alden drinks Natural Lite. Maybe seeing as that's not actually beer, we're still following rsun's advice...
Notice how there seems to be a consensus that MorningStar Farms makes decent veggie meat, most of it sucks, theirs doesn't. Bugs are food for a lot of people, and no more weird than sea bugs, like crabs or lobster, and edible bugs eat plants and flowers, not shit and death! :)
Eat whatever the heck you want.

conlejm

Lifer
Mar 22, 2014
Meat and dairy comprise about 5% of my daily calories, on average. I mostly eat plant-based whole foods; lots of beans and greens. When I do eat meat it's usually fish like salmon and tuna; occasionally sardines.
As a result my cholesterol is about half of what it was when I was eating a lot of meat and processed foods. My blood pressure is down 10%. And I lost 15% of my excess body weight. I feel good. My wife says I look better than ever, so ... it works for me.

tuold

Lifer
Oct 15, 2013
Beaverton,Oregon
hey now, Canadian Mist isn't scotch. I like Canadian Whiskeys for a sweet change of pace. Having said that.........have one for me.
Entirely correct! Now that I think about it, I don't think I've ever had any cheap scotch. This may be a new area for me to survey.

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
I don't think I've ever had any cheap scotch. This may be a new area for me to survey.
Tuold ... try some Famous Grouse. Considered "cheap" but not half bad!
BTW, I am far from being a vegetarian ... too many good things to slow-smoke! :D

simnettpratt

Lifer
Nov 21, 2011
@rsun: I know, you'd think for cheap imitation beer he could at least go Lone Star - it's made down the street.
@cobguy and tuold: I was watching a show about Buckingham palace or Windsor castle. They were spending six months preparing for some French dignitaries. When the Frogs showed up, they put three bottles of spirits in their rooms - the scotch was Famous Grouse. I said, well that must be expensive, but if that's what you get at Buckingham palace, must try me some of that. Imagine my surprise when I found out not only was it $20, it was a blend and a screw top. After tasting it I realized, it's easy beginner scotch, because the French guys may not have been scotch people, kind of like recommending 1-Q to a new smoker.
It's regular scotch though, cheap scotch is Clan MacGregor, and that shit is NASTY.

weezell

Lifer
Oct 12, 2011
Now that I think about it, I don't think I've ever had any cheap scotch. This may be a new area for me to survey.
Cheap Scotch, Grand McNish (not bad actually)...

Status
Not open for further replies.