PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

davedan

Might Stick Around
Dec 31, 2015
Hi guys,
Is there anyway to varnish the MM Mark Twain like the Freehand and Country Gentlemen? My favorite blend is Mississippi River and it shines in the Twain so I was wondering if I could paint it as such as you can't get it in the same colour/design as the other two MM Cob pipes I mentioned? Just smoked Mississippi River in savinelli 320...it was an awful experience :( The person who introduced me to the hobby only smokes cob although he has had many very expensive pipes! he said nothing smokes better than cobs....

M

mothernaturewilleatusallforbreakfast

I know people customized cobs all the time, including painting or staining. I don't know the various processes though? I imagine that a light sanding before applying a dark stain would do the trick. You may need to apply some carnauba wax afterwards? Again, I've not done it, but know it's common for people to customize cobs in a number of different ways.

Mar 1, 2014
I've put a clear coat on a few cobs after covering them in plaster, which is how they're treated at the factory. I just dyed them black and didn't do quite as much sanding because I wanted a smooth black surface instead of the Cob look.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
I'm in the "let it breathe" camp. Let the cob color with age, and spend your upgrade time and money on a Forever Stem.

BTW, the Sav 320 is so popular that, if you're getting bad results, I suspect you're doing something wrong. That's just my 2¢

Reactions: Peter - CCB

stvalentine

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 13, 2015
Northern Germany
I was wondering too what Missouri Meerschaum uses for a varnish. It seems to me that it is in fact a kind of clearcoat, some kind of lacquer and not a stain. Any ideas?

prairiedruid

Lifer
Jun 30, 2015
From the Missouri Meerschaum Company website:
Bowls for less expensive pipes are varnished in a concrete mixer and spread out on wire racks to dry. Bowls for higher cost pipes are placed on spindles that rotate through a spray booth where they are coated with lacquer.

Status
Not open for further replies.