PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

homeguard95

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 18, 2014
Hey everyone, I've been smoking aromatics almost exclusively since I started smoking, and I'm wanting to branch out into other types of tobacco. I'm not a fan of Latakia so I wanted to start trying some VaPers. I've been looking at H&H Louisiana Red and PS Luxury Bulls Eye Flake,so would these be good blends to start out with? Thanks.

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
Those are great starters!
Escudo, McConnell Scottish Cake and GLP Filmore are very nice as well.

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
PS LBF would be definitely a great choice to begin with, the sweet black cavendish center will give you a bit of sweetness if you're coming over from aro's and the perique in it isn't too overpowering. I would say it's a no brainer for your first vaper and the price you can't beat. I tried it and then ordered the 1.5 pound box.

clarkj734

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 2, 2014
I would say PS Luxury Navy Flake would be the best starting point. Keep in mind that Bullseye Flake also has some Cavendish I believe - where LNF is pure VA with Perique. Its not too heavy on the Perique either. If you like it...then I would suggest Solani 633 which is one of my all time favorite VA/P's.

homeguard95

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 18, 2014
I appreciate the imput, and clark I was looking at Luxury Navy Flake at P&C but it's backordered, so I'll just have to wait a little while to try it.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
Here's a partial list of popular VaPers. You will find many more if you search the review websites.

This list is particularly helpful because each blend was reviewed by an astute pipe smoker named Slow Triathlete

in a four page VaPer Showdown on another website.
1) McConnell Scottish Cake

2) Samuel Gawith’s St. James Flake

3) Escudo

4) GL Pease Filmore

5) Former’s Straight Grain Flake

6) H & H AJ’s VaPer

7) Low Country’s Waccamaw

8 )Peretti’s Park Square

9) John Patton’s Cool Hand Fluke

10) H & H Rolando’s Own

11) H & H Anniversary Kake

12) G & H Louisiana Flake

13) Dunhill Elizabethan Mixture

14) C & D Night Train

15) H & H Louisiana Red

16) C & D Bayou Morning Flake

17) Reiner’s Long Golden Flake

18) Treasures of Ireland - Limerick

19) Dorchester

20) Solani #633

21) Luxury Bullseye Flake

22) McClelland Bulk 2015

23) GL Pease Telegraph Hill

24) Kajun Kake

25) Luxury Navy Flake

26) Dan Tobacco's Tordenskjold Virginia Slices
Earthy Perique can be piquant, but in some recipes it reveals a fruitier aspect. If the latter sounds appealing to you

then I urge you to try 4noggins' Prairie Wind. It's not on Slow Triathlete's list, but it should be on every VaPer lovers

short list of "must try" blends.

torque

Can't Leave
May 21, 2013
You might also look at McClelland's Saint James Woods. It doesn't have a big nicotine kick to it and the taste is really good. Might be just what you are looking for in a cross-over blend.

escioe

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 31, 2013
I'm a big fan of GL Pease's Fillmore and, lately, Stratford. Fillmore is really flavorful and spicy, while Stratford is understated to the point of being austere but delicious.

rwramsey

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 15, 2014
@homeguard - PS LNF is one of my favorites. I usually get it from P & C, but if you do not want to wait until it is restocked then it appears to be available at Smoking Pipes, plus they are having a 10% off sale thru Sunday. Enjoy.

clarkj734

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 2, 2014
You might also try Comoy's Cask No. 4...
Many people believe that its the tinned version of PS LNF. I'm not going to say that it is but lets just say that it's very similar...
And delicious.

homeguard95

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 18, 2014
Thanks rwramsey, I usually buy from P&C but thanks for the heads up, I'll check out Smoking Pipes and see what I can find there. And I'll have to check out McClelland Saint James Woods. Thanks.

leacha

Jun 19, 2013
Colorado
Since your an aero smoker I would start with 4noggins' Essence of Vermont. Light maple & and light perique good baccy taste. Than move on to something like McClelands 2015 or Beacon.

drrock

Oct 20, 2011
Minnesota
Both baccys you mention are good VaPers.

As for other suggestions, also don't miss trying McClelland 2015, Solani 633, and Reiner Long Golden Flake.

Since you're already checking out the Hearth & Home tobaccos, I'd also look at Anniversary Kake & Virginia Spice.

For a real treat, try Peretti's Park Square

pipebow88

Can't Leave
Jun 12, 2013
I love escudo and Dunhill Deluxe Navy rolls. I would say that the best introduction into Vaper from what I have had would be Robert McConnell Scottish Cake. Very tasty, easy smoking, and not something that is a perique bomb.

B

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
I think McClellend's St. James woods would of been pretty high up on that list had it been reviewed. I think it's one of the best VaPer's I've ever tried, one of my first too. Cool hand fluke is like a VaPer on steroids, it has 40% perique. McClellend's though you have to pop the tin and let it breathe for at least 2-3 weeks, the longer the better, or you'll find it to be nothing special.

Jan 8, 2013
My experience is still somewhat limited, but both LNF and LBF are great. Another good one, that I don't see listed here, is McClelland Blakeny's Best Bayou Slice. It has a very nice flavor, was the first VA/Per I tried, and definitely had me looking for more.

Perique

Lifer
Sep 20, 2011
www.tobaccoreviews.com
Somewhere on another thread I posted a suggested series of VaPer "flights". I'm sorry I can't find it to share with you.
For a good transitional blend for an aromatic smoker interested in Perique, I would suggest (in addition to the recommendations above) Rattray's Marlin Flake.

Status
Not open for further replies.