PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Servant King

Lifer
Nov 27, 2020
Frazier Park, CA
www.thechembow.com
I break apart five or six coins and dry for ~20 minutes. I find it the most forgiving for when I forget to keep my puffing speed low and slow, which is for the most part an inevitability for me. I've tried both Simmerdown and Brobs' strategies, and they both work well, but the slow puffing is the most crucial element no matter which method you use. Regarding the above, bagged is definitely drier than tin.

Love this one, definitely up there with Drew Estate Grand Central as my favorite in its genre.

krizzose

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
Michigan
I like Club Blend and Dark Twist to be very dry before I smoke them. For whatever reason I don’t need to dry Vanilla Roll Cake quite as much. But experiment to see what works best for you. But Per is right about keeping it loose - you can always tamp down a loose bowl, but too tight is gonna be a hot mess from the start

Johnny_Pipecleaner

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 13, 2019
Mill Valley, CA
I "finally" got a satisfying smoke with Vanilla Roll Cake out of my size 5 Tinsky. I stacked and folded the coins, and loosened them up just slightly as I carefully packed them into the bowl. Maybe it was the larger bowl, and maybe it was the looseness. Maybe it was that the coins needed some decanting time outside of the sealed tin. Maybe all of those things.

ofafeather

Lifer
Apr 26, 2020
Where NY, CT & MA meet
After reading this thread last week I decided to crack open my tin of VRC. I have very mixed experience with MB twists. VRC smoked like a dream right out of the tin. The best vanilla blend I’ve smoked. I stacked the coins then rolled them a bit in my hand and stuffed. Made sure not to over-pack. Both bowls I smoked were large pipes and they worked well.

futureman

Can't Leave
Jul 9, 2011
Ohio (Displaced Central Texan)
I’m rather late to the party here. I just ordered VRC and I’m looking forward to my first bowl. I’ve been letting all my flakes dry slightly more than what I have been comfortable until recently. For me, rubbed out dry flakes or medallions are crucial for an extended period of flavorful sipping. Otherwise, I’m wrestling to keep the flakes lit and I wind up with too much dottle. At that point I’m focused too much on keeping a lit pipe rather than detecting flavors.