Few of my favorite VaPer hybrids:

- GLP Haddo's Delight & Cairo

- Peterson IrishOak

- PS Luxury Bullseye Flake

- GLP Barbary Coast

smokeystover

Might Stick Around
Sep 20, 2012
I normally love VaPers, even though I'm experimenting with some English blends right now. I haven't seen anyone recommend Old Gowrie yet. To me, it seems to have less of a perique presence than HOW or Marlin Flake, and it's my favorite of the Rattray's line up.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I smoked a bowl of the Treaures of Limerick I received from pipestud and really enjoyed it. The 2007 tin was in perfect shape, the tobacco inside had the right humidity so I was able to load it right up and I was very impressed with the flavors. I used a Rad Davis Lovat that I have dedicated to Vapers and the flavors were nice and sweet, the Perique was in the background but still there, and it is a nice change of pace from the heavier Perique blends I smoke. It kind of tastes like Veermaster but with a pinch of Perique. Thanks roth and peck for the recommendation. How does the bulk look and smoke compared to the tinned version? I did not like my bulk Veermaster and buy the tins because of the amount of broken flakes and shake in their bulks.

Jul 12, 2011
@Roth~When I started pipe smoke'in I was all about Davidoff's Flake Medallions...it has been way too long, guess I got caught up in all the great blends out there...funny how that happens :crying:
Oh well, guess I have to add a few tins to my next TAD order :puffy:

gwtwdbss

Lifer
Jun 13, 2012
St. James Flake is my favorite. I tried Escudo when I first started back about 15 months ago. It was too much then. I cracked a tin last month and was wowed by it. Fantastic smoke. Although SJF takes longer to dry I still like it the best. Seems just a bit richer and creamier. I can't wait to get some more age on my escudo tins however.

sallow

Lifer
Jun 30, 2013
With all due respect to Greg, I didn't care much for any of his virginia or Va/Per blends.
To each, his own Rothnh. Having said that, I recently opened a one year old tin of Fillmore and am enjoying it very much. I would also rather not do without Haddo's Delight, which may or may not meet a strict definition of va/per.

flyguy

Lifer
Nov 20, 2012
+1 on the Beacon. If you need a little more Perique, Beacon Extra is nice. There are red Virginias in both but I find that if you let the opened tins sit until the catsup smell somewhat subsides (indicator of acidity), the bite will lessen greatly. Escudo is always good and has very little bite.

Status
Not open for further replies.