PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

checotah

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 7, 2012
While I prefer wooden matches, my Zippos (Zippoes, Zippi?) are always close at hand if the winds kick up. Haven't had a pipe packed too tight in years, don't have any problems lighting fresh bowl or one half gone.

sparrowhawk

Lifer
Jul 24, 2013
I'm something of a fan of the Zippo, having collected a few during my cigarette smoking days. I find them too reliable to be without, but I confess there is a problem with rim burn. You just have to learn how to light with a Zippo to avoid this problem, but that takes a little practice and technique. I don't use the Bics because they go through fuel too quickly, whereas the Zippo can always be refilled, along with its flint. And the Zippo is simply cheaper for this reason.

undecagon

Oct 7, 2011
Chicago, IL
Hello?!? Is there a Mod in the house? Can we close this thread already?!? I lost my pipe zippo about a month ago (it was a retro Iwan Ries ad) and every time I see this thread pop up it makes me sad!
:crying: :puffy: :crying:

rickpal14

Lifer
Jun 9, 2011
I feel you your pain!!! I can't find my 2012 commemorative Chicago Pipe Show Zippo..... :crying:

rmason

Jan 27, 2013
I completely agree with roth djeep lighters are great they don't burn your thumb like bics do from time to time and they leave no taste like zippos do.

redbeard

Jan 2, 2013
I have been using a pipe zippo for some time now and overall I love it. Really you just need to learn how to use it, much like we all learned how to smoke a pipe properly. At first I didn't like it much but came to find the problem was myself.
Overfilling is a biggie, also the fluid problem of longevity. I started to us a rubber strap that fits tightly over the lighter that I roll down when I want to use it. That helps preserve your fluid, a small smear of petroleum jelly along the indents on the lower half of the insert helps. I went from filling it every 3 days to every few weeks!!
The taste issue... Very seldom do I detect it anymore. My first few bowls it was prominent. Possibly I have become accustom to it? Premium fluid is supposed to taste less.
Bottom of the bowl issue... I notice a pipe with easy draw helps, like a cob. I skimmed the comments above and noticed the tilting of the pipe was mentioned, that does help.
I love the zippo, I feel like I am seen as a green leaf smoker when lighting my pipe by others. Lol, weird I guess. The click of opening and shutting of the lid, and the soft flame is a plus. Although I have noticed some of my pipes get scratched from the chimney. Just carelessness on my part perhaps.

Status
Not open for further replies.