PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 8, 2013
Does anyone use a hand held drill for waxing and buffing your pipes? If so what attachments would I need and where can I find them?

Mar 30, 2014
wv
I use a bench top buffer for my heavy work on a resto. I use a drill for finishing touches, the odd shaped pipes and hard to reach places.

A drill works very well for buffing. You can get a buffer pad at Ace hardware or maybe a auto shop, for $5-10. It comes with the attachment and should pop right in the drill.

torque

Can't Leave
May 21, 2013
Try to find a string buff that fits if you decide to go that route. They are much nicer to your pipe than those sewn together layered buffs. Also, I think Pimo Pipe Craft has the arbor you need if you can't find one local and have to order.

torque

Can't Leave
May 21, 2013
BTW, Roto Buff has a 6" diameter 1" thick string buff that is sure to fit most drill arbors. Caswell also has one that, from the picture, looks like a nicer buff but is pretty beast looking in the width department. Would work nicely as a finish buff on a bench motor but not sure it would fit a drill arbor.

tuold

Lifer
Oct 15, 2013
Beaverton,Oregon
I uses a variable speed hand drill. It works very well for me.
Sablebrush, I imagine you have drive over to the next county to find your pipe after that! :rofl:

torque

Can't Leave
May 21, 2013
What I do is I jack up my car and remove one of the front tires. Then I attach a large cotton buffing wheel to the hub, start the engine and leave a brick on the accelerator. Works great!
And here I thought you only polished molecules together using your finger tips. You have MANY methods you have not shared with us. :)

tbradsim1

Lifer
Jan 14, 2012
Southwest Louisiana
F9B2575F-9F49-406A-BB7B-BA8561661913-18254-0000248E4EF0BC53_zps9a2f50e9.jpg
On the Bay, these are avialable for 40 to 50$ no muss no fuss , works like a charm.Cher!

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I started with a hand drill, with an arbor and pads from Lowes. I mounted mine in a bench vise. I think I used 4" pads. It works, but has its limitations. A hand drill typically doesn't have enough torque, but can be slightly more effective than hand polishing.
If you can find an old motor, get a $15 extended arbor from Jestco (also a great place for buffs). Most towns have an electric motor repair. A rebuilt motor will work for decades on pipe use and are probably less than $100. An old washing machine or furnace motor works great and is typically at 1/2 hp or so and 1725 rpm.
Your local dump probably has a number of donors sitting there. People get rid of washing machines because the transmission usually goes, leaving a decent motor. Free for the taking at my facility.
http://www.jestcoproducts.com/index.php?act=viewCat&catId=6

Status
Not open for further replies.