PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

lasttango

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 29, 2012
Wilmington, De / Ithaca, NY
I save certain tins because I want to open them with a friend or two.
The problem is I don't have any pipe smoking friends. One just passed away at the young age of 22. My pop is the other person, but he's a few states away.
I am working on my mailman. He's a cool guy. I've given him a few cobs and a couple pipes and a good amount of tobacco.
This year, I am really going to hook him up.

derekflint

Nov 23, 2017
At bedtime I"ll plan on opening a fresh tin the next night. Then in the morning and afternoon I"ll still be looking forward to doing so. But then when the time comes, I put it off again and smoke something that's already opened. Then at bedtime.......... :roll:

brightleaf

Sep 4, 2017
Sorry to hear about your friend passing so young lasttango. I agree that it is a lot more fun to share your goodies than enjoy them alone. The rule my friends and I have is that money is never asked for when consuming products, we would rather share the experience than confuse it with obligations. It usually works out evenly in the end anyway.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Do any of you also have a similar hesitation in cracking your beautiful sealed tins?
Not at all. They're just tobacco containers and once empty they go in the trash.
I am confused as to what is causing the hesitation/hoarding
Never ending rise in tobacco prices. Back in 2015 for example, a 100 gram tin of Old Dark Fired went from $12 to over $20 literally overnight. Buy and hoard it when you can because tomorrow it may not be affordable.

brightleaf

Sep 4, 2017
I think that is part of it chasingembers. I also worry that I am falling victim to a Chicken Little mentality. I assume tobacco will always be available but it may be taxed beyond my reach. If businesses like C&D fold under the future regulations I may not trust what is produced by the companies that exist in the future. The genetic engineered crap is not going to be on my shopping list. I managed to get some Yenidje Highlander and will be opening it with friends on 23rd. I think the part of my hoarding that this thread is helping me get past is the selfish aspect of it. The aspect that having it saved is somehow allowing me to enjoy it longer.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I think the part of my hoarding that this thread is helping me get past is the selfish aspect of it.
Think of it as putting back something you can enjoy. It's economical and practical to buy and store while it's available and affordable. :wink:

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
I have a few sealed tins in reserve and they serve to keep me from buying more metal.

I smoke bulk tobaccos, and keep the tins for whenever one of you folks stops by.

In the beginning of my 'studies' I took part in 3 tobacco crawls here in the forums and acquired and sampled several tins, along with tins I bought during that same early period.

If I were to rate my fondness for particular blends from lowest to highest, the bottom would be Half and Half and the top would be Rattray's Marlin Flake.

I know, Half and Half isn't tinned, but mine is tubbed.

I guess I live with some sort of lifelong economic anxiety that prevents me from continuing to pay 2 or 3x's the price for tinned tobacco over bulk.

brightleaf

Sep 4, 2017
Finding a good bulk, or several bulks will probably be the end result of my tobacco journey as well. Some of the tobaccos I have really enjoyed are tin exclusive and continuing to sample new ones is a fun experience.

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
I feel the same way about ammunition. Unless I have someone who really deserves getting shot and having their corpse fed through a wood chipper over an anonymous river, I am hesitant to decant these cartridges.
Finally! A voice of reason!

zackery

Lurker
May 13, 2017
I open as many as I have jars for. My new favorite tobacco might be inside one of those tins.

fitzy

Lifer
Nov 13, 2012
NY
Like JP the only time I don't open tins is because I have way way way too many opened or I'm waiting for them to be aged.
Afterwards the tins go in the garbage or find a different use. I did keep a couple of the Peterson annual tins like their summer, holiday and special reserve as I liked the designs on them.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
... 'tango, condolences on losing your friend at the bitterly young age of 22, sorry to hear that.

shaintiques

Lifer
Jul 13, 2011
Georgia
I'm in the "have too many tins open already" camp for the most part. I have a 20 year old tin of an esoterica I like as well as a few 10 year old tins of things, but I still have plenty fresh of that stuff in jars so I have just continued to sit on them. However I did just order a 12 year old tin of one of my favorites from Pipestud and I plan to crack it open to smoke at Christmas time. I am also with Jesse in that I like to share with friends when I can. I try to take something special to Chicago to share at the Swap Meet and meet up times. Or crack when my close friends come to town.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Most of my cellar consists of tins and I normally have around 20 open at the same time. All of my open tins are stored in these cheap plastic tupperware like containers I got at Walmart. I have recently been opening my tin containers and even after over a year, the tobacco has the perfect amount of humidity. With these types of containers I am never fearful of opening a tin and worrying about it drying out.
I balk at opening any of my jars of bulk tobacco because once I do I will need to smoke it sooner than later. Almost all of my bulks are from 2012 -2013 and hold anywhere from half a pound to 5 pounds. The 5 pounders won't get opened until they have at least 10 years on them.

brightleaf

Sep 4, 2017
I was still worried about opening too many tins at the same time. Glad to know that is a none issue.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Some newly opened tins don't offer much, but mostly, shopping by reviews, recommendations, and some experience with my own tastes, a new tin often opens a whole world of pleasure. The intrigue is, this isn't always immediate. Sometimes I'm indifferent and jar something, only to come back and truly discover it -- with or without some aging. Sometimes not knowing what to expect throws you off. I found my first experience with IR Three Star Blue pretty bleh. Only on the second go-around did it open up. This has happened with a number of blends. People have sent me aromatics, which isn't my first choice, but upon relaxed consideration, some of these are really good. It is as if upon consideration, with a little time, you come to understand this new flavor/scent experience and find the pleasure in it. It's like a crossword puzzle, where one answer leads to another, or a jigsaw puzzle where after staring at it for a while, pieces suddenly find their place.

Status
Not open for further replies.