PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
Saw one on SP recently that looked really nice. Big old fat walled dublin with straight grain. A real hog beast. I was tempted.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
He's been at it for 21 years and his work looks great. A little too tradition for my liking though.

colossonaut

Lurker
Nov 1, 2019
Colorado
Late to the game, but I own multiple R.C. Sands pipes and I have to say they are hands down the best smokers I have. It's said on multiple articles about the fellow that his singular goal is to make the best smoking pipes he possibly can, and I couldn't agree with this more. R.C. has a saying, that his pipes are for smoking, not collecting, and he'd prefer you "smoke the daylights out of them" No matter the design, his pipes smoke like a freight locomotive. I had such a damn good smoking experience with my first RCS pipe that I collected two more. As of right now I have zero interest in owning a pipe by anyone else, and I hope to obtain an entire collection by the fellow before he quits his craft. I've even contemplated selling off my other pipes (Savs, Stanwells, Wileys, etc.) as I doubt I'll use them much ever again. Took me 25+ pipe purchases over the years to find the perfect maker, but R.C. Sands is exactly that.

With all that being said, I'm a utilitarian. I want pipes that work well more than I want a pretty aesthetic piece or collector's item. So R.C. Sands fits my bill better than anyone else. I hope you find the same if you ever attain one of his fantastic pieces of work.

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
Weight is a critical component to a pipe being a good smoker, at least to me since I clinch most of the time. And whether we want to admit it or not, aesthetics is also a significant factor. You can buy thousands of estate Ascorti, Savinelli, Caminetto, etc. that sell for under $100 and smoke fantastic. With good drilling and a comfortable stem. And not weigh over 2 ounces.

Reactions: JMcQ and BROBS

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
I just recently traded for one of his pipes unsmoked. Nice big bowl, and I enjoy the sandblast on it. Haven't smoked it yet, but I'm dieing to. Little over a month and I'll be firing it up.

He literally wants people to smoke the living daylights out of his pipes. So it should be a good match for me.

From what I've read, and heard, he seems like an awesome guy.

Rumor is he only smokes Old Dark Fired, and he keeps it in a 5 gallon bucket on his porch.

Reactions: mityahicks
Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
I disagree. I'll take function over form any day of the week. A pipe is a tool, not a woman, so I don't think of it as something I'm trying to f**k. I treat it like something I'm going to use. To each their own, though.

I agree. But I prefer to have both, I see no need to sacrifice one for the other.

bluegrassbrian

Your Mom's Favorite Pipe Smoker
Aug 27, 2016
Louisville
Late to the game, but I own multiple R.C. Sands pipes and I have to say they are hands down the best smokers I have. It's said on multiple articles about the fellow that his singular goal is to make the best smoking pipes he possibly can, and I couldn't agree with this more. R.C. has a saying, that his pipes are for smoking, not collecting, and he'd prefer you "smoke the daylights out of them" No matter the design, his pipes smoke like a freight locomotive. I had such a damn good smoking experience with my first RCS pipe that I collected two more. As of right now I have zero interest in owning a pipe by anyone else, and I hope to obtain an entire collection by the fellow before he quits his craft. I've even contemplated selling off my other pipes (Savs, Stanwells, Wileys, etc.) as I doubt I'll use them much ever again. Took me 25+ pipe purchases over the years to find the perfect maker, but R.C. Sands is exactly that.

With all that being said, I'm a utilitarian. I want pipes that work well more than I want a pretty aesthetic piece or collector's item. So R.C. Sands fits my bill better than anyone else. I hope you find the same if you ever attain one of his fantastic pieces of work.

So you say he’s said his pipes aren’t for collecting but you claim to want a collection of his pipes.
How do you reconcile this within yourself?

• Haha
Reactions: petes03

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
I wonder how many lower-profile artisans quietly pursue their craft. They sell their work but earnings are not their most important goal. Mr. Sands sells a lot of his affordable pipes through Blue Room Briars.

Status
Not open for further replies.