PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

anantaandroscoggin

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 9, 2017
Greene, Maine, USA
Since the abrasive panels on either edge of a box of wooden matches rarely survives long enough to be able to light the last dozen or so in the box, what would be an effective AND long-lasting substitute? A five-pound river rock?

npod

Lifer
Jun 11, 2017
effective and long lasting substitute
These (strike anywhere matches). https://www.amazon.com/Diamond-Greenlight-Strike-Anywhere-Matches/dp/B017DLUQRU?crid=2F530PLFPQLP5&keywords=strike+anywhere+matches&qid=1533916097&sprefix=strike+&sr=8-3&ref=mp_s_a_1_3 The white holder above has rough edges to strike the matches.
Or these https://www.amazon.com/s?k=strike+anywhere+matches+holder&ref=is_s. Large match strike sheets.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Great ideas and photos, very helpful for newbies, and new ideas for some of us old dogs too.

shanez

Lifer
Jul 10, 2018
Las Vegas
What are yours?
I'm new at this but I'll add:
1) A clean, plain paper plate. I can be as messy as I want over the plate while packing with lose of tobacco. Just pick up the plate and pour the excess back into the jar or tin. I used a styrofoam plate a couple of times but static cling was an issue.
2) Time. I know it's not really an accessory but unless I have it, I don't light up. I'm downright ritualistic with my pipe (and cigars and making a cup of tea) and nothing ruins the ritual, relaxation, and enjoyment like being rushed.
Also, where did you get that pipe stand if I may ask? I really like it.

workman

Lifer
Jan 5, 2018
The Faroe Islands
I am extremely low-tech so far. Zippo, chzech tool, toiletpaper and pipecleaners. I am considering a tray and a blunt blade knife. Part of the fun is expanding the hobby.

ravkesef

Lifer
Aug 10, 2010
Cheshire, CT
Great ideas, great photos. But I’m a bit unclear about one thing: baby wipes to clean the inside of the bowl? Really? I use paper towels, but I think the baby wipes would deposit a chemical residue.

eggrollpiper

Can't Leave
Jul 27, 2018
Match striker sheets is a new one for me. But after reading the first smoke post where it says matches burn hotter than butane I ha e to wonder what I've been doing endlessly striking matches. I always thought they were cooler than butane and only slightly hotter than wick.

So what exactly would the procedure for during tobacco in the microwave be and wouldn't that destroy tannins, terpenes and so on?

And npod that's a sublime setup you have there. I don't think you have enough kinds of pipe cleaners readily available tho, heh..

npod

Lifer
Jun 11, 2017
I’m a bit unclear about one thing: baby wipes to clean the inside of the bowl? Really? I use paper towels, but I think the baby wipes would deposit a chemical residue.
Unscented wipes. No residue. No chemicals. I use them all the time with no issue.
I don’t build up cake in my pipes. But over time all pipes will build some degree of cake. The baby wipes help wipe out the residue that forms soft cake. Thus I promote a slow “hard” cake, which is far superior imho.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
But I’m a bit unclear about one thing: baby wipes to clean the inside of the bowl? Really?
Yep. That was something I was advocating a few years back for meers and cobs, but a few members also use them on briars. No residue, and works great to trim down carbon. I use them a lot to fine tune cake after reaming.

scloyd

Lifer
May 23, 2018
Great ideas and nice pictures. I really like the picture where everything is out and organized on the wood table (nice presentation). I find that some of my best smoking experiences are when everything is out and organized sort of on display...not cluttered where I'm fumbling around. (Does that make sense?)

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
Looks like I need to schedule a trip to Bed, Bath & Beyond for the wide mouth funnel. I shudder to think how much time I've wasted cleaning up messes that would have avoided. Nice pics npod!

coyja

Can't Leave
Feb 10, 2018
Spinning ball of dirt
I keep a thing of post-its around. Use it as my cutting board for flakes, then pull of the top post-it and it becomes my scoop/funnel for transferring to bowl.

coldsmoke

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 29, 2016
Nunavut
Love that wooden tray. I've been looking for something similar for a while.

Also need to pick up a silicon cloth.
I go with a pipe in a wooden holder that also holds matches and a tamper, a couple of Blatter pipe cleaners and a Zippo with Z-butane Insert

Now, I have tons of pipe smoker lifestyle accessories all over the house but that's my main rig.

npod

Lifer
Jun 11, 2017
Anthony (@anthonyrosental74),
Your coffee warmer tip is probably the best trick I’ve learned this year. I got one right after you posted the picture above. It has become an essential part of my drying routine. I use a glass plate on top and warm the tobacco for about 10-15 minutes and it works great. Thanks for sharing.
Pics

K6jWyxV.jpg

tlTkHay.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.