PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

derekflint

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 23, 2017
I like University Flake, so I dedicated a pipe to it. The pipe I chose is good smoker, and the fact that I only smoke UF one to two times a week, I thought I could put the pipe to more and better use in the regular line up and dedicate a less used pipe to UF. I've probably smoked about two tins of UF thru it total. Here's the thing...so far I've smoked about 5 or 6 bowls of different blends in it and they all taste like University Flake to one degree or another. I also did a hot water wash on it before the switch. Is there any hope for this pipe or should I re-dedicate it to UF ?

Dec 24, 2012
UF has a blueberry like topping to it - some call it a quasi-aromatic. I think if you smoke enough bowls through it, you would eventually drive the ghost away though.

jazz

Feb 17, 2014
UK
So far, I have never failed to drive out a ghost by just smoking other tobacco in the haunted pipe. Having said that, I don't think I have come up against any really stubborn spooks and so never really had to go full exorcist with salt and retorts. Sometimes it takes longer than other times but I always get there in the end.
This reminds me that I still have not tried University Flake. Consequently, have no idea how tenacious the linger of that can be.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
UF is supposed to be flavored with Plum. I really enjoy it although I wouldn't really call the flavors I taste as definite plum topping. Sometimes it can take a dozen or so bowls to drive away a ghost. At least you are trying to drive away a ghost that you like. I have an estate pipe so ghosted with lakelands that I have to send it for an ozone treatment. I could never stomach trying to drive the ghost away by smoking it.

mrenglish

Lifer
Dec 25, 2010
Columbus, Ohio
It will help if you smoke a stronger tobacco in it. I have noticed this helps rid the ghosting faster than if you kept with the same flavor type. For instance, if you smoke something like Dunhill flake in it, it will take much longer to get rid of that plum flavor than if you smoked St James Flake in it. I hope that makes sense.

mrenglish

Lifer
Dec 25, 2010
Columbus, Ohio
It will help if you smoke a stronger tobacco in it. I have noticed this helps rid the ghosting faster than if you kept with the same flavor type. For instance, if you smoke something like Dunhill flake in it, it will take much longer to get rid of that plum flavor than if you smoked St James Flake in it. I hope this makes sense, still working on that first cup of coffee and pipe.

gkr1

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 7, 2017
San Diego
In the past I have lightly rimmed the pipe plus an over night Salt and Everclear soak. Rinsed out with warm water and dried for few days, the ghost was gone. this was with 1792 lakeland ghost. I faintly got a hint of ghost but it was gone completely once I started smoking Lat blends in it.

For me, I would do a salt and alcohol treatment first. If you still taste the ghost, then you might consider removing the cake and cleaning the heck out of the stem and shank. Some have reported great success in having theirs oxiginated, or ozoned, or whatever it is called. I'm sure someone will give you better instructions of sending it off for that. But, a good salt and spirits has worked for me, usually.
but, if you are going to smoke a latakia or aromatic in it, you might have luck just smoking the ghost out.
Good luck!!

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
In my heyday of dedicating I had a rotation of three pipes for two or three tobaccos that I smoked everyday. That way each pipe would get three days rest between being smoked. I still dedicate but will smoke the same pipe with the same blend everyday for two or three weeks, until the patch of wetness starts climbing up the chamber. There's nothing exact in this. I do it when I think of it, and that's about the extent of my resting/smoking routine.
Not that I think the pipes really need resting, which to me although prudent, addresses a need that is unsubstantiated. Dedication is really about residual taste from the cake which can be just as easily handled with reaming.

unkleyoda

Lifer
Aug 22, 2016
Your mom\\\'s house
Embrace the ghost and just use it as a spoon for your morning fix, Boo-Berry.
9mHg5se.jpg

derekflint

Nov 23, 2017
If anyone was wondering what Three Nuns would be like with a plum topping....Very Weird !!

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
I still dedicate but will smoke the same pipe with the same blend everyday for two or three weeks, until the patch of wetness starts climbing up the chamber.
That would indicate you are smoking tobacco that needs further drying before packing.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Va/bur or burley does a pretty good job on most ghosts, Lakelands excepted.

Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
Has anybody noticed if St Bruno may have a light tendency ghosting a pipe? As for the Univerity Fl.I haven't had any ghosting issues with this particular tobacco,yet I don't dedicate pipes to certain blends but rather do prefer smoking in various pipes and bowl shape.This might be whole different If I smoked regularly latakia,lakelands,or aromatics.

derekflint

Nov 23, 2017
Finally got the UF ghost out of this pipe. It took 6 bowls and 1 S+A treatment.....glad it's over !!

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
In my review of Dark Flake Unscented, I indicated that I found almost no Lakeland.
A few days ago, I dropped some Marble Kake into that pipe in which only the DFu had been smoked. It tasted different and it took me a moment to realize that it was, indeed, a wee bit of Lakeland essence accumulated.
I strive to at least keep similar components or compatible flavors in any given pipe.
I've never had UF, but it sounds like nothing that some ODF or similar wouldn't fix.
I smoked a tin of Irish Flake through my ODF pipe and it took about half a dozen smokes to dispel the anise ghost fully.
Ghost interplay is becoming an interesting game of sorts, figuring out which blends can share real estate harmoniously.
jay-roger.jpg

thomasw

Dec 5, 2016
I smoke VAbur and VAs and kentucky blends and straight burleys almost 99% of the time. The only ghost I have NOT found possible to smoke out of a pipe is a Lakeland. For that much fasting and prayer and salt and alcohol and retorting are needed. In one nasty situation, I found the Lakeland ghost was still haunting the pipe after even 4 such treatments: forlorn with the futility of my efforts, I gave that pipe away. Because of that experience, I will never buy a pipe that has been used to smoke Lakeland laced tobacco.

derekflint

Nov 23, 2017
I will never buy a pipe that has been used to smoke Lakeland laced tobacco.

With all the bad publicity Lakeland has been getting in regards to ghosting, that's the last thing a seller is going to mention......

Status
Not open for further replies.