Umberto Eco is Dead: Long Live Umberto Eco!

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

averagegent

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 22, 2016
It is with great regret that I am announcing, though I'm sure many of you may have heard, that the hugely popular Italian author and academic Umberto Eco died this past Friday (19th Feb).
I was a huge fan of his work, as a reader, a writer, and an academic with similar interests. I greatly enjoyed his best-selling novel 'Il Nome della Rosa' (The Name of the Rose) amongst others, and hoped to - at some point in my life - have had the pleasure of meeting him. He has, and continues to, inspire me.
Rest in peace.
Finally, a disclaimer: though the title of this topic originates in an age-old phrase, I am borrowing this particular variation from the headline of a news article...

M

mothernaturewilleatusallforbreakfast

I did hear this. He was one of the good ones. RIP.

echie

Can't Leave
Jul 7, 2014
Amsterdam
umberto_eco_pipe.png

phred

Lifer
Dec 11, 2012
"Foucault's Pendulum" was a favorite read from my college years - and left me perpetually wary of those who believe strongly in conspiracy theories... :D

lochinvar

Lifer
Oct 22, 2013
Truly sad. "The Name of the Rose" and "Foucault's Pendulum" are two of the finest books I have ever read, and his later works, while they didn't hit me as hard as these two, were wonderful jolts to the brain.

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
Unfortunately I've not yet read any of his books, but I really liked the movie The Name of the Rose. I'm curious what those of you who read the book thought of the movie.

averagegent

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 22, 2016
Brian, the film was pretty good - I certainly enjoyed it! - but of course, novels can capture so much more than films. I would suggest you read the novel, then rewatch the film as a companion...

dmcmtk

Lifer
Aug 23, 2013
Foucault's Pendulum is one of my favorite books. As Signore Garamond would say, "I will say more". I've read it at least three times, complex, great characters, interesting history, and...funny!

fishingandpipes

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 24, 2013
RIP. A true loss. Foucault's Pendulum was a fantastic book, as was his nonfiction. I only recently got a copy of The Book of Imaginary Lands, perhaps it's time to break it out.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
I also like Italo Calvino, Robertson Davies and of course William S. Burroughs for similar literature...

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
I read "The Name of the Rose." A great mystery novel with some fascinating historical information. The movie was an excellent movie. The book was an excellent book. I suppose I prefer the book but, comparing genres is tough. The writer has to set the stage with words, the director uses the stage, lighting, costumes, etc. and interprets the book, sometimes with the assistance of the author, using actors and (warning: nonPC) actresses. Further, the director has a constraint the author does not, time. In this case I believe both the author and the director produced great work.

ravkesef

Lifer
Aug 10, 2010
Cheshire, CT
I read "The Name of the Rose" in a single sitting. My head was swirling. I took my time with Foucault's Pendulum," a book whose sad ending brought me to tears. I started "The Island of the Day After Tomorrow," multiple times, but couldn't make it past page 20.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
I suppose I prefer the book but, comparing genres is tough.
Books always have more information and more depth.
Even The Lord of the Rings series -- possibly the best movies ever made, outside of Repo Man and Apocalypse Now -- skip much of the density of the text.
I mourn Eco. Harper Lee -- the pretender -- not so much. Reminds me of every substandard High School English class; the teachers love the really obvious stuff, and miss the big point. Even she knew it.

Status
Not open for further replies.