PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

majilton

Might Stick Around
Jan 18, 2012
There is one thing that botheres me about the uk that is you must be 18 years of age to buy tobbacco 21 to buy drink and 18 years old to vote.The uk legistrations argue that a 18 year old is only responible in his mind to vote at 18 years old and at 18 years old hes at the responsible age to smoke and 21 to drink thats all good and i agree that there looking after the youths of today but do they actually care about them and i want your opinions on this.If they are irrisponsible and can not make proper decitions then why is it a 16 year old can be responsible to go in the army and get killed in afganistan and iraq.Uk really look after there youths dont they.It annoys me

majilton

Might Stick Around
Jan 18, 2012
this is what annoys me paul who makes up these rules and how much do they get Paid for doing it.

spartan

Lifer
Aug 14, 2011
ok um... a 16 year old behind the wheel with a cell phone in their pocket is a scary thing. At least here in the U.S. lol
And the "they" you are so concerned about? Well they're probably old farts twice your age who have seen it all. That's not to say they are right. But they have seen their fair share of stupid crap done by the youthful. It's hard to put a number on any of these.
And any number you pick a lot of people are going to hate your guts.
Step back and look at it with a non-biased point of view if at all possible.

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
I think 18 is a pretty reasonable age for that sort of thing. In the States, you can't go in the military until 18, but our education system is different. Most car rental companies - all, AFAIK - won't rent to you if you are under 25 - there's some pretty solid evidence that brain development is still going on before then.

majilton

Might Stick Around
Jan 18, 2012
i try to look at it in a positive non biased view and the point im trying to make is anyone in government in the uk has never had to work hard and be honest if they were honest they wouldnt be in the government position in a seat of power.I Just dont like one rule for them when it suites them and one rule thats different.For example if they are to young to not vote ect there to young to make the decition they can fight if it was 21 years of age in the army well thats different but its 16 and for driving 16 it just doesnt add up also.Our so called priminister came from eaton collage in london.He doesnot see what the average person sees because he doesnt and never will live like us.And none in his government see this either.They have never had the experience on hand of bad youths because the way they live.When there actually in this country and not abroard spending taxpayers money :D

majilton

Might Stick Around
Jan 18, 2012
jud i think america have it right 18years old that a least would answer backup there other claims and driving i think needs to be adressed

oakbear

Might Stick Around
Dec 27, 2011
UK
It's 18 for drinking in the UK, smoking changed from 16 to 18 a couple of years ago, and 18 for active military service too (but you can enlist from 16). 18 to vote or marry without parental consent. 17 to drive (which i agree is a bit scary!), otherwise it all seems fair to me tbh...

dburrows

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 2, 2011
I'm 65 and from what I've seen, eneryone under 35 should be kept under lock and key for both their, and our, safety.
Let's say under 33... I've got a family that I have to be able to make a living for.
Though that would mean I've got to support my children far past 18... May need to rethink this altogether.

majilton

Might Stick Around
Jan 18, 2012
I Have been told there is a uk politition addressing the army enlisting from 16 to 18 it seems he has been trying to address the same as our views on here.I must look into this.Im not aware of it but i think the uk rules at shops is if anyone looks under 25 years old they have the right now to stop anyone buying tobacco and alchaol.But there is so many underage buying it this will stop them

jship079

Can't Leave
Oct 17, 2010
You have to have some type or restrictions right? Do you think it would be OK for a 12 year old to smoke and drink I think 18 should be the age for all things of major responsibility Drive,Vote,Drink,Smoke,live on there own etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.