PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Daddypants

Might Stick Around
Jan 30, 2023
Central Texas
Paul pisses me off. Calling out fighters that are either WAY past their prime OR to challenge them in a sport that is NOT what they competed in, is utter bullshit. Every time he does this crap I want someone to challenge him back with a spelling contest. lol.

Too many greats to name an absolute favorite. Smoking Joe Frazier, Sugar Ray Leonard, Roberto Duran, Roy Jones, Jr., the list is sooooo long!

Attachments

• IMG_0078.gif
    IMG_0078.gif
    619.7 KB · Views: 3

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
Paul pisses me off. Calling out fighters that are either WAY past their prime OR to challenge them in a sport that is NOT what they competed in, is utter bullshit. Every time he does this crap I want someone to challenge him back with a spelling contest. lol.

Too many greats to name an absolute favorite. Smoking Joe Frazier, Sugar Ray Leonard, Roberto Duran, Roy Jones, Jr., the list is sooooo long!
I think most agree just for the chance to beat the guy.

LeafErikson

Lifer
Dec 7, 2021
Oregon
My favorite boxers based on taped fights that I’ve seen (I was born in ‘93):

Joe Lewis
Mike Tyson
Robert Duran
Rocky Marciano

I couldn’t say much about modern boxing because the shift to defensive fighting has been quite boring, but I still watch sometimes. I much prefer modern MMA to modern boxing.

I think Tyson will win on technique alone because he will take the fight inside on Paul. I don’t think anyone will get seriously hurt. Paul isn’t a slouch by any stretch and I think he will be fighting ‘real fighters’ here shortly, but Mike is quite literally one of the best to ever do it and he’s still in great shape.

LotusEater

Lifer
Apr 16, 2021
Kansas City Missouri
Four months to lose all that fat. The more I read, the more I am certain that there will be no real boxing,
FYI- Tyson’s not fat he seems to be in really good shape. But there is a good chance you are right about there not being any real boxing.
The main issues are that Tyson is 57 years old and his opponent is 27 and he (Tyson) hasn’t faught in 20 years. That said I hope wrecks Jake Paul.

Daddypants

Might Stick Around
Jan 30, 2023
Central Texas
My favorite boxers based on taped fights that I’ve seen (I was born in ‘93):

Joe Lewis
Mike Tyson
Robert Duran
Rocky Marciano

I couldn’t say much about modern boxing because the shift to defensive fighting has been quite boring, but I still watch sometimes. I much prefer modern MMA to modern boxing.

I think Tyson will win on technique alone because he will take the fight inside on Paul. I don’t think anyone will get seriously hurt. Paul isn’t a slouch by any stretch and I think he will be fighting ‘real fighters’ here shortly, but Mike is quite literally one of the best to ever do it and he’s still in great shape.
I, too, love mma. I wish there was a push for more Muay Thai fights here in the States. Those are fun to watch, we just don't get as many opportunities to see them as they do in Asia. At least not live.

Speak Easy

Lifer
Jan 12, 2024
Western Oklahoma
FYI- Tyson’s not fat he seems to be in really good shape. But there is a good chance you are right about there not being any real boxing.
The main issues are that Tyson is 57 years old and his opponent is 27 and he (Tyson) hasn’t faught in 20 years. That said I hope wrecks Jake Paul.
Tyson and Roy Jones Jr had an exhibition match a few years ago. Was fun to watch. Took place shortly after Tyson started getting back in shape.

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
Why heavyweight boxing has lost something they need to get back—-

In the sixties in the tiny town of Humansville, every heavyweight boxing title match made our world stand still.

Those that had money drove to Springfield to watch closed circuit television.

It was like a space launch. It’s all anyone talked about, from children to old people, and all in between.

I’ve heard of Mike Tyson, he bit some guy’s ear off. He’s famous, a household name.

Who is this guy Jake Paul?.:)

Reactions: Speak Easy

Daddypants

Might Stick Around
Jan 30, 2023
Central Texas
Speaking of the Old Mongoose, I wonder if Tyson is going to use a page out of his playbook? Tyson is a well known appreciator of the old time boxers and other than George Foreman's comeback, Archie Moore was the only guy that was really successful when he was old and past his prime. It would be interesting to see if Tyson adopts some of his strategies and style.

Last edited:
Reactions: Speak Easy

jaingorenard

Can't Leave
Apr 11, 2022
Norwich, UK
I'll watch it, but I share most of the above opinions about it.

Favourite boxer has to be Marvelous Marvin Hagler, I never get bored watching him. I watch the War quite often, and actually Hearns was also great, but I find Hagler so exciting to watch (even if he's not the most technically thrilling).

Non-Mentholated Black Man

Might Stick Around
Mar 4, 2024
Where Texas Began
I once loved boxing; the sweet science of hitting and not getting hit.
Now, boxing is dead to me.

I love Muay Thai; two people standing face-to-face and exchanging shots.
Specifically, I enjoy Entertainment Muay Thai.
I encourage everyone reading this thread/comment to watch at least one Muay Thai fight from any of the weekly
ONE Friday Fights.
The shows are freely available online and with the possible exception of a few MMA/Kickboxing matches that might appear on the show(s), virtually every bout features highly skilled and very motivated fighters.

Pernell 'Sweet P' Whitaker was the best boxer that I ever witnessed, in terms of hitting and not getting hit.

kola

Lifer
Apr 1, 2014
Colorado Rockies, Cripple Creek region
All about the money. I could not give a flying fck.

I'm a huge Tyson fan but this is just about $$$$$

I 'm a huge Ali fan too, and man was it hard to see Ali take a beat-down like he did. The hell with the money....a real mans pride is not worth any amount of dough. Paul will probably make Tyson look like a ragdoll. Sad.

Daddypants

Might Stick Around
Jan 30, 2023
Central Texas
I once loved boxing; the sweet science of hitting and not getting hit.
Now, boxing is dead to me.

I love Muay Thai; two people standing face-to-face and exchanging shots.
Specifically, I enjoy Entertainment Muay Thai.
I encourage everyone reading this thread/comment to watch at least one Muay Thai fight from any of the weekly
ONE Friday Fights.
The shows are freely available online and with the possible exception of a few MMA/Kickboxing matches that might appear on the show(s), virtually every bout features highly skilled and very motivated fighters.

Pernell 'Sweet P' Whitaker was the best boxer that I ever witnessed, in terms of hitting and not getting hit.
I didn't realize those were free. I heard that ONE has started showcasing Muay Thai fights and they were awesome but I thought they were PPV. I'm gonna have to check it out.

One of the things that has killed boxing and mma for me has been ALL the fights are now PPV. You used to have some pretty good fights that you could watch for free and it helped build up a fighter's fan base. Now they are just about all PPV and I can't afford to dish out chingos of dinero just to watch a fight. In my single days, I could go to the bar or have the boys come to my house and we would all pitch in and watch them. But being married with kids means those times are past. I think I'm not the only one who is in this boat. It's hard to justify that kind of money on a PPV fight when you are the only one in the house that appreciates it.

Non-Mentholated Black Man

Might Stick Around
Mar 4, 2024
Where Texas Began
I didn't realize those were free. I heard that ONE has started showcasing Muay Thai fights and they were awesome but I thought they were PPV. I'm gonna have to check it out.

One of the things that has killed boxing and mma for me has been ALL the fights are now PPV. You used to have some pretty good fights that you could watch for free and it helped build up a fighter's fan base. Now they are just about all PPV and I can't afford to dish out chingos of dinero just to watch a fight. In my single days, I could go to the bar or have the boys come to my house and we would all pitch in and watch them. But being married with kids means those times are past. I think I'm not the only one who is in this boat. It's hard to justify that kind of money on a PPV fight when you are the only one in the house that appreciates it.

I would have almost certainly hated Entertainment Muay Thai (3 X 3 minute rounds w/ small gloves) when I was younger; at which time, I did everything that you described to watch any/all available boxing (including Boxeo en Espanol).

These days, I can guarantee you/everyone that almost every Muay Thai fight on any ONE Friday Fights card is going to put any UFC PPV main event to shame.