PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

toobfreak

Lifer
Dec 19, 2016
When people say Maple, has anyone ever made a pipe using Rock Maple? I wonder how that would smoke?

aquadoc

Lifer
Feb 15, 2017
New Hampshire, USA
I have seen some beautiful grain in cherry burl. You will probably have some nice wood to choose from. In Northcentral Pennsylvania, I saw some very old, gnarly Cherry trees that would probably be great source wood for furniture and pipes. Some old sugar maples too.

dafox

Lurker
Jun 23, 2014
A response to Mayfair70's post here. The warning about not using Hemlock implies that it is poisonous...perhaps thinking of the Hemlock concoction that Socrates was forced to drink a few years back. Not so. Hemlock, the tree, is a type of fir and is not poisonous. It is widely used in home construction in the Western US. Hemlock, the poison, is derived from an extremely poisonous, non-woody, plant that grows in forests worldwide. That said, I think using Hemlock to make a pipe would not be a sound decision, as it is quite soft, burns easily and is often quite resinous. dafox

shikano53

Lifer
May 26, 2015
Good old maple makes a nice pipe but the grain is kind of boring. Nevertheless It makes a fine pipe and is pretty cheap for a length of stock maple that you could probably practice with (I do) and get numerous pipes out of a 2"x5"X24" length.

I have a piece of broad leaf birds eye maple and I think it will make a nice pipe. Lots of birds-eye just like the birds eye found in briar.

I'm with Zach though, get yourself a kit from VFH or Mark Tinsky first and try that. It will be drilled and faced correctly.

oldmansmoking

Part of the Furniture Now
May 13, 2017
UK
I agree get a carve your own kit as I did. Works for me and a great achievement when done.
img_0020-600x450.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.