PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 31, 2012
Drone music isn't always the best choice for vinyl listening because it is often quiet, and since it's sort of a small niche (or at least used to be) it tends to be put out by smaller labels and sometimes the pressings aren't very good...
...but I have 2 absolutely great drone records which totally shine on vinyl, both are live recordings with noticeable crowd noise,

adding a certain warmth.
Spacemen 3 "dreamweapon" is one of my alltime faves (I even have the flexi-disc) - - I have the original pressing on the Fierce label but destroyed any collectible value because I seriously wore that wax out --- I used to have a Dual 521 turntable with an auto-repeat function,

that platter was very cool because for the feature they used the infinity symbol to indicate it!
Ea2P8Et.png

I would play that record on auto-repeat all night long!
The flipside also had the cool inward out feature,

it starts on the inner groove and works toward the outer edge.

:idea:

:!:
The other record is "Maneuvering The Nocturnal Hum" by Stars Of The Lid,

a masterpiece,

especially the 23:32 minute B side
:!:

pipesinperu

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 21, 2014
LP's, pipes and beards....these are the hallmarks of the hipster.
Whoops. Check, check, and check. Where did I go wrong?
Sounds like we were haunting Cambridge's record shops around the same time. I recently returned to the U.S. after living abroad for 10 years without a record player and was surprised to find, on visiting Bullmoose Music in Portsmouth, NH, that the dollar bin is now the $3 bin and that anything even remotely decent was a minimum of $10 used. Looks like I'll be sticking mostly to new reissues of good stuff whose originals would cost me a month's rent for the time being. Grabbed some classic St. Vitus and Can LPs while I was there!

pipesinperu

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 21, 2014
yoo doo right!

Monster Movie was actually the LP I picked up. I feel like the odd man out, but I prefer Malcolm Mooney over Damo.
The one thing a hipster will not do is listen to Burzum non-ironically.

Yeah, I don't think hipsters even actually listen to him, ironically or otherwise, they just conspicuously wear the t-shirts in their own band photos.

stickframer

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 11, 2015
I like to put on a record when im planning to do some house cleaning or something like that. More often than not I wind up just sitting and listening; nothing gets done. Right now Lightnin Hopkins is the guilty party lol. :lol:

I'm envying these vinyl collections. I have a Magnavox console stereo with turntable that was my dad's that I've used since I was a kid. The woodwork is still excellent, but I have been contemplating installing some quality ceiling speakers and a new updating the amp and some of the switches on it to improve the sound quality and add in the audio from the TV for more multimedia.

My vinyl is very eclectic from Led Zepplin to Sons of the Pioneers, blues to Disco, but just a few hundred. My jaw dropped at prices of vinyl now. It used to be that you could get used vinyl for pocket change. Now a used album can be over $20 on eBay.

Status
Not open for further replies.