SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Jan 27, 2020
Remember when shrimp were considered a luxury to most? As a kid the sight of a shrimp cocktail meant something classy was a foot. Now, these cheap farmed shrimp from Thailand are as cheap as Velveeta, but I hardly want to eat them anymore. I guess a good part of it has to do with the fact that these cheap shrimp are basically a product of a political discussion I'd rather not breech but they also taste like not much and generally have a sinewy texture no matter how they are cooked. Most people probably don't even realize that the dethawed shrimp at the fish counter were previously frozen unless they actual read the small print next to 6.99 a lb on the placard. Sometimes, I buy a bag of those wild Argentine shrimp, which seem to have somewhat more taste but I think that I am generally just turned off to eating shrimp these days, well- except for rock shrimp when I find them but I wonder if they are even technically shrimp? If I lived on the gulf or wherever else people shrimp and I could buy them actually fresh, I imagine I'd still be into them but sadly that doesn't seem like a profession that will be around in this country for much longer.

yanoJL

Lifer
Oct 21, 2022
Pismo Beach, California
My dad wasn't much of a cook. But he could make shrimp scampi. And it was good, I remember enjoying from time-to-time as a kid. But I agree, shrimp dishes are no longer the appetizing delicacy they once were. Now that you mention it, I don't think I've enjoyed a shrimp dish in (at least) a decade.

Jan 27, 2020
My dad wasn't much of a cook. But he could make shrimp scampi. And it was good, I remember enjoying from time-to-time as a kid. But I agree, shrimp dishes are no longer the appetizing delicacy they once were. Now that you mention it, I don't think I've enjoyed a shrimp dish in (at least) a decade.

I use to love shrimp scampi as a kid as well- and my Mom wasn't the best cook either. Actually... that makes me think of an interesting point or culinary observation, that dish is so delicious due to the combination of ingredients including the flavor of the shrimp which seems to get released into the sauce but not so much eating the shrimp themselves. I found out some years ago that "shrimp scampi" is a redundant term as it basically means "shrimp shrimp" but it does have a nice ring to it.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
We're not close to the N.C. coast, but good fresh shrimp used to be available at moderate cost close by. People used to sell them by the side of the road. Now I have no idea what I'd be getting. I think it is mostly frozen product from Asia caught in who-knows-what waters.

Mostly, they aren't the same shrimp. Like hot-house tomatoes, the taste is gone.

I also miss Spanish mackerel, with their distinctive twangy flavor. Seafood just isn't the same, and prices have soared.

It's been years since I've been to my favorite restaurants at the coast. Now, I'd be cautious to go, but I probably will.

Jan 27, 2020
We're not close to the N.C. coast, but good fresh shrimp used to be available at moderate cost close by. People used to sell them by the side of the road. Now I have no idea what I'd be getting. I think it is mostly frozen product from Asia caught in who-knows-what waters.

Mostly, they aren't the same shrimp. Like hot-house tomatoes, the taste is gone.

I also miss Spanish mackerel, with their distinctive twangy flavor. Seafood just isn't the same, and prices have soared.

It's been years since I've been to my favorite restaurants at the coast. Now, I'd be cautious to go, but I probably will.

I wouldn't be surprised that people sell thawed Asian shrimp by the side of the road in those shrimp catching states claiming to be locally caught. While I'm sure a shrimper would know at first glance I don't think most people pay enough attention to their food. Actually, I had this uncle in a rural part of NJ that had a huge garden and a little farm stand and I was shocked to find out he was actually selling corn he bought at some supermarket.

I was in Belgium a few years back and those grey shrimp from the North Sea are really tasty and small, they stuff tomatoes with them. Funny that many people seem to find "jumbo" shrimp to be the most luxurious of shrimp but from my experience the larger they are the least taste and worse texture they have.

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
Typically get 2 lbs frozen jumbo shrimps with tail on. Didn't notice much taste difference. Still taste like shrimp to me. Usually thaw for 20 min in cold water. Rinse couple of times and cook with tail on.

Reactions: Steddy and warren

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
Yup. Today's "grocery store" shrimp are literally not the same as they used to be, the same way tomatoes aren't.

Crap texture, little taste.

I'm sure if you live on the Gulf coast and buy off the docks as the boats come in (or however it's done down there), you can still get the real thing, but short of that? Not worth the bother.

Jul 26, 2021
Metro-Detroit
We have a slight shellfish issue in the household that deters eating shrimp regularly. However, I love shrimp with cocktail sauce (either boiled and chilled or breaded and fried), scampi style with bread to mop up the sauce, and as a New England boil.

For those looking for a flavor bomb, give a shrimp boil with smoked sausage, sweet corn, and redskin potatoes a shot. It is briny, sweet, salty, and spicy with little prep time.

20230430_214522.jpg

I also recommend a Mediterranean shrimp dish with fire roasted tomatoes and feta, served over orzo. Boil, strain, and season the orzo, top with fire roasted tomatoes, feta, and raw shrimp, them bake for about 15 minutes (it's done when the shrimp start turning pink and the cheese/tomato combo allows the shrimp to shine).

20230501_214558.jpg

• Love
Reactions: Steddy and username

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
If you are ever in State College and like Rock Shrimp go to Tokyo Sushi and Hibachi and get their Rock Shrimp Tempura. It's insanely good. Actually probably one of the best restaurants in this town. Their Ramen is also great. Seriously that place makes me act like one of those Japanese news guys doing a remote at a restaurant. I can't help but talk about how good it is while eating.
Also man you need to get a better place to get sea food you poor poor man.

• Love
Reactions: puff_not_snuff

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
I call that stuff "krill".

Oddly enough, I have a small bag of it in the ice box right now, as my son didn't catch I said "15-17 count". So, mayo, capers, lemon, sweet pickle chopped, on rye toast is what I had for lunch.

Used to gorge on Gulf Coast shrimp, hard to find now.

Yup. Today's "grocery store" shrimp are literally not the same as they used to be, the same way tomatoes aren't.

Crap texture, little taste.

I'm sure if you live on the Gulf coast and buy off the docks as the boats come in (or however it's done down there), you can still get the real thing, but short of that? Not worth the bother.
Along the coast there are shops that sell the latest's catches; "Fish Market" or "Seafood" in the name. They don't really sell off of the docks, unless maybe if you know someone.
Just three hours from the coast, and we still have one of the fish market shops in our town. We drop in at least once a month to pick up fresh fish and shrimp. I prefer to buy them when they have the monster sized ones available. The ones that you can only get two on a plate.