PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

hodirty

Lifer
Jan 10, 2013
Very nice craftsmanship on the tampers, bentmike. I love the pink ivory myself. I'd buy one too. Keep at it.

bentmike

Lifer
Jan 25, 2012

Gaboon Ebony
I saw forum member astrange1 likes to turn the African Blackwood on his lathe. Thanks for the comment strange! The Blackwood is a tough nut to crack. It requires very sharp tools and a steady hand. This Gaboon Ebony is hard but not quite as bad as the Blackwood. Looks just as pretty though.

Briar Boy

(astrange1)
Apr 8, 2013
Great work Mike, the is African Blackwood is great stuff for turning isn't it, my personal favorite.

bryanf

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 16, 2013
Very nice. Is the idea with your tool that you use either side? I whittle them from branches but put a tapered point on one end so I can clean my pipe too.

bentmike

Lifer
Jan 25, 2012

Just finished up this Pink Ivory Classic Tamp for my personal collection. This tamper I started late last year and the cold weather among other things kept me from the my workshop. I wanted to get it done and off the lathe so I could get started on a new piece for this year's tamper trade.

rangerearthpig

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 5, 2014
Those are all really nice! I'll see if I can score some multi-colored mesquite for you. Oftentimes this wood will have purple, yellow and even orange all in a single block.

bentmike

Lifer
Jan 25, 2012

Yesterday I finished up a new tamper. This is a new design I've been experimenting with. The tamp can be used from either end. The traditional flat end works great right after the charring light when the tobacco rises up from the bowl. The angular bevel cut end works good later in the smoke to gently force the un-burnt leaf from the walls of the chamber in towards the center where the ember is. I first tried the slant cut on the tamper I made for the Tamper Trade[/url. I really liked turning the Leadwood for that first one so I got busy making one To test for myself.
[URL=http://s1254.photobucket.com/user/mikespipes/media/20140602_142314.jpg.html]

I either saw a picture or read about the angled tamper here on a forum discussion. After giving it a try and finding how well it works I'm sold on the idea.

bowler1

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 16, 2013
Williamsburg, VA
Beautiful piece. I continue to use the cheap Czech republic ones which work great for me, but I would like to upgrade to something nicer.

bentmike

Lifer
Jan 25, 2012

I love the way the subtle reds come out on the Leadwood. This one still has its ends on. It'll be going back on the lathe for a little more careful shaping and sanding.

derrickyoung

Might Stick Around
Apr 11, 2013
very nice work. Does the wood hold up without any kind of metal on the end? I only ask as that is how you see most but I do prefer the all wood look

bentmike

Lifer
Jan 25, 2012
Thanks Derrick, No metal end or cap is required. It just dresses up the tamper a bit. Like a metal band on a pipe. I'm with you I prefer all wood. I don't worry about scorch marks or burns on my tampers and I've not seen any among the few of my favs I use more often. They are all heavy and dense wood and the polished end grain is the most durable surface of a piece of wood anyways.

Status
Not open for further replies.