PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

chilllucky

Lifer
Jul 15, 2018
Chicago, IL, USA
scoosa.com
I see on SP that there are two of the four "seasons" of this series available and I am attracted to the stem detail that appears on both. Very seriously considering pulling the trigger on what could become my first ever intentionally collected pipe set.

My question, which I could not find an easy answer to online is: is this a current release and the other two are yet-to-come? Or have I missed them and will need to check the estate market to complete a set? Also, does anyone know if more than the two finishes I see are going to be offered? If there will ultimately be four finishes, I will try for one of each. If not, I will likely get them all in the light smooth.

Thanks for your help!

Reactions: ofafeather

hyoutang

Lurker
May 31, 2021
chiba,japan
tsuge shiki is intended for 4 seasons.
haru: spring
natsu: summer
aki: Autumn
Fuyu: Winter

The finish seems to be sandblasted and smooth.
There was no information on HP, so
I think you need to find an estate.

chilllucky

Lifer
Jul 15, 2018
Chicago, IL, USA
scoosa.com
I'll reply to my own question here just to close the information loop. Seeing as this thread showed up in my internet searches on the subject.

The Tsuge Shiki Series was a one-time release of pipes in four shapes around the end of 2019/start of 2020. As far as I can tell at this point, there were 3 finishes. Light and dark smooth, and a dark blast.

I've got the nice folks at smoking pipes and my local B&M trying to confirm the info and track down the shapes that I don't see on line today.

I'm gonna go for it and try to assemble a set for the first time in my almost 30 years of pipe smoking!

chilllucky

Lifer
Jul 15, 2018
Chicago, IL, USA
scoosa.com
I bought the two shapes available from SP. Spring and Summer. They have even more detail than I thought from the pictures! There's a silver band at the peak of the shape on the stem, and the shank goes from a cat's eye to round in cross section. They are both masterful and I couldn't be happier with them.

The bad news is that the series is much older than I thought. I have seen mentions of it in old forum posts from at earliest 2008. I was also able to confirm with SP that they bought up _all_ the old stock from Tsuge in Japan, so I won't be able to complete my set by asking them or checking with stores on line or off for recent stock.

This collection will have to be put together with legwork at shows and constant monitoring of the estate market. Which, I suppose, is as good an introduction to "collecting" as a pursuit as any.

I even have an idea for a special 'seasons' pipe stand/display for the set of four pipes based on the position of the earth in its orbit at the soltices and equinoxes around a small (humidor) sun.

I have pipes and cash to trade for Tsuge Shiki Aki and Fuyu light, smooth pipes. Let the games begin!

Reactions: ofafeather