Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mkvillaire

Might Stick Around
Sep 8, 2012
I understand that tobacco may have different tastes in different pipes. I also understand that certain types of tobaccos, English, Virginias, and Aromatics should be grouped together and smoked in the same pipes. My question is what does a new pipe smoker, who may only have three pipes, do to try the same tobacco in different pipes. If one of each of these three pipes is for English, Aromatics, and one for Virginias how can the I try them in the other pipes without unwanted ghosting? Another question I have is if I smoked an aromatic a few times in a new pipe and then say I want to use that pipe for an English that I have discovered that I really like will the previous aromatic taste go away after a couple of smokes?

kris

Can't Leave
Sep 16, 2012
The only thing I've smoked that ghosted a pipe was Condor. That took probably 20-30 smokes to "mostly" chase the ghost out (I still a hint of it every now & again).

eaglerico

Lifer
Jan 8, 2011
My advice...don't worry about it. Smoke what you want in what ever pipe you want. There have been quit a few posts similar to this lately. I think the people who dedicate certain pipes to certain blends are 1 of three things.
1) Just have too much time on their hands. Who can remember exacly which pipe to use with certain baccy when they have a nice collection of pipes?

2) Have been actually smoking a pipe long enough to develope a palate to be able to taste the subtleties with the same blend from pipe to pipe

3) Fortunate enough to actually be blessed with a palate to really taste what we are all shooting for.
I think the majority of people do strive to be number 2 above, but I also think this is something that takes a lot of time. From time to time I do get that "wow" moment with a certain blend and pipe combination. But I try it again and its not there. Maybe I was just paying more attention that day. Or even the exact opposite. Who knows. I try not to dwell on these things. I did a lot when I first started and almost gave up out of frustration. Then I remembered it is about relaxing and reflecting and not about stressing over the little things. I think the dedicating of a pipe to a certain blend is not necessary and something that is often over thought with people who are just starting. To me, the important to things to worry about are packing and lighting. Then which pipe you are going to but next.
Wow, my posts seem to get longer and longer. Sorry. lol

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
If you are just starting, and you have only three pipes,you don't know, as yet,which kind of blends are going to smoke well in which pipe. Explore.
I do maintain distinct latakia/non-latakia rotations. They are on different racks. It's not hard at all to remember which ones are in which rotation. I have one dedicated pipe - a Stanwell 3/4 drop egg that gave me an "oh wow" moment when I smoked one blend in it. That's all I smoke in that pipe.
I suppose if I had a larger rotation, and lots of dedicated pipes, I might have difficulty, but if I was going that route,I am sure I would figure something out, since I'm pretty methodical.

sparroa

Lifer
Dec 8, 2010
I maintain a large rotation of the same make of corn cob pipes, so my experience will differ from yours...
As a result, I have not really felt the need to experiment with the different effects that blends can have when smoked in different pipes because that has always been a constant for me.
I will say that unless you want to experience ghosting, then you should definitely have exclusive pipes for English/Balkan/latakia blends. How can you say that you are getting the true picture of a subtle Virginia when you've got a campfire taste/aroma coming from your pipe?
I'm not a huge stickler as I feel free to smoke Burley or Virginia or Virginia Perique in the same pipes but I try to keep them separated by "style" if at all possible.
As far as aromatics go, I think they deserve their own pipe as well because there will be a lingering presence of the aro for several bowls afterwards...
If you like the taste of "the ghost" combined with your tobacco, then it's fine and you can just smoke what you want in whatever pipe that is available... If you want a more neutral smoke then that is unacceptable.
Having a "ghost" is not the end of the world - it will gradually diminish and be replaced by the taste/aroma of the blend you are smoking. You can also try a salt/alcohol or ozone treatment. The fact still remains, however, that you'll be left with residual flavours in your pipe no matter what blend you choose - it's just that some will be more noticeable than others.

bcirka

Lurker
Aug 28, 2012
I keep aromatics and latakia blends separate. Everything else I'm content with smoking in the same bowls.

pipeshark

Might Stick Around
Oct 7, 2012
Az
I follow bcirka's logic as well. I used to try to keep them separated by va, eng/lat, and aro... But now I don't smoke much va so meh.. I do find though that when I come across that pipe that just smokes perfectly that I would rather enjoy it's perfection than worry about ghosting. Whatever I smoke tends to run along a beaten path anyway and I don't try new blends in my best smoking briars. I always believed that was what meer was for :puffy:

jeff59

Might Stick Around
Oct 13, 2011
If I get any ghosting at all, which for me is not often, I read something like SWR is good for ghosting and cake build up. Seems to work.

sixmp

Can't Leave
Jan 19, 2012
If you are just wanting to try 1 bowl in each pipe of each type then it wont really be that much of a problem.

It wont really ghost much and will smoke out after a few bowls.

If you smoke more than 1 bowl then the stronger flavor tobacco's will ghost more.
Mixing and matching can be fun anyway :)

I sometimes alternate 1792 with Mac Barens Vanilla Flake as the extra vanilla makes things tasty

Status
Not open for further replies.