PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

midwestpipesmoker70

Can't Leave
Nov 28, 2011
IL
I heard seaweed cavendish will be the next new secret ingredient (sutliff "by the sea", I believe is the title). Good grief, what's next, kale?

theloniousmonkfish

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 1, 2017
Seaweed Cavendish is close, it's actually carrageenan. And it's not Kale but rather spicy Mustard greens that'll be next.

mikethompson

Lifer
Jun 26, 2016
Near Toronto, Ontario, Canada
20106357_10214769977988079_674541382301879878_n.jpg

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Brylon is the preferred pipe material for their own pipe smoking by ninety percent of professional blenders and pipe carvers. They say it provides the perfect base for flavor and even burn. "Nothing else compares," said one renowned blender, off the record. "Brylon is the only way to go. Smoking any other kind of pipe is a waste of time. Nearly all pipe professionals feel this way, but we keep it to ourselves."

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Latakia is smoked over camel dung. (To some of us, Latakia IS smoked over camel dung...change word cadence and stresses and completely different meaning)
Syrian is superior to Cyprian Latakia.
McClelland is/was the best blender (see pipe community myths under "best" delusions)
Sutliff is the worst - hilarious since Sutliff supplied component tobaccos to McClelland (see pipe community - irrational prejudices and tobacco snob nonsense)
Fine white ash - baloney. A few blends smoke down to a fine ash, a few of them white, but most smoke down to gritty mottled ash.
It's desirable to smoke to the bottom of the bowl - Absolutely, especially if you're trying to fry the inner walls of the chamber.
It's desirable to be able to smoke a bowl with no relights. (see pipe community - stunt pipe smoking)

perdurabo

Lifer
Jun 3, 2015
Fine White Ash. Sable I find the same thing, only a couple have done this. Black Frigate being the only one I can come up with at the moment.

5star

Nov 17, 2017
PacNW USA
“Smoking kills ! “
Actually a US government agency (I don’t recall which one, perhaps NIH) did a study of modest cigar smokers (‘modest’ defined as one cigar per day) and found no significant negative impacts on long term health. The wording of the report of their findings was rather humorous, as they seemed perturbed at the outcome.

Of course, cigars aren’t pipes. But on the other hand, they’re definitely not cigarettes either. My point is that we often take statements as facts, without digging deeper to see what evidence there is for a claim. And what were the conditions on which a claim is made ?
Given that (tobacco) pipe smoking seems to be a declining activity, there may not be the motivation out there to do a long term study on the actual impact of pipe smoking today . I’m a modest pipe smoker - smoking no more than a bowl a day on average. (Two bowls in one day is extremely rare for me. Many days I don’t get around to smoking at all.) I find it relaxes me greatly and adds to the quality of my life & sense of well-being. But I have no more than my own personal experience to base this view on.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Pipesmagazine Forums is a major research and policy reference for U.S. Secretaries of Defense and State, and some other cabinet members. Especially because moderators police rants and hate mail, it is perceived as being one of the best disciplined intellectual discussions, far above published reports by the Brookings Institution, The American Enterprise Institute, and other high powered think tanks. "We really depend on those people, pipe and tobacco discussions quite aside, to sense the thinking of U.S. and world opinion. The conversation is really well above what we get from world leaders, who tend to be terribly confused," a highly-placed source said, not for attribution.

5star

Nov 17, 2017
PacNW USA
Ennerdale is made from old ladies’ fermented doilies
(as though that would be a bad thing)

Status
Not open for further replies.