PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

tg51

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 24, 2017
Fort Polk, LA
I’m mostly a holder, my large hands make it almost comical if I’m smoking a smaller pipe. However, I bought a few smaller pipes to clench so I can smoke while I’m working with my hands. I don’t have a problem finding a good spot to set it and puff away but I’m having trouble with the amount of saliva I gather in my mouth. If I try to swallow while clenching I end up pushing some of it back down the stem which obviously causes issues. Anybody had this problem/figure out a way to deal with it other than having to remove the pipe to spit every fifteen seconds?

Reactions: jpmcwjr
I have read of others salivating like this. Saliva actually blocks the nicotine from absorbing through your mouth. My guess is that you started smoking not too terribly long ago? Just a guess. I notice that after a few years, just thinking about smoking will make my mouth go dry and my sinuses open up, even if I have a cold.
Maybe give it a little time. I'm not sure what else to suggest.

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
In my experience this reduced greatly with time as I got more used to clenching, but never really went away completely. I still have to grab the pipe and wipe of the bit a few times every smoke. Every time I smoke it is a combination of clenching and holding.

Reactions: luigi and jpmcwjr

tg51

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 24, 2017
Fort Polk, LA
I have read of others salivating like this. Saliva actually blocks the nicotine from absorbing through your mouth. My guess is that you started smoking not too terribly long ago? Just a guess. I notice that after a few years, just thinking about smoking will make my mouth go dry and my sinuses open up, even if I have a cold.
Maybe give it a little time. I'm not sure what else to suggest.
I bought my first pipe the day I turned 18 which was a couple years ago and had smoked cigars for a few years before that. I go to an academy so my opportunities are a little limited to sit down and smoke a bowl so you might be right that I’m just losing the conditioning to the pipe smoke.

@alaskanpiper That seems to be my pattern of clenching as well but I probably have to give it more time as you said.

Last edited:
Jun 23, 2019
Yeah, it's not uncommon in the beginning. I think its the body's natural instinct to start producing saliva when you have something in your mouth (natural digestive process).

Reactions: luigi and jpmcwjr

rdoss16

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 2, 2019
ive dipped, chewed, smoked cigarettes, cigars etc - tobacco in just about every form - for the good portion of 20 years - and pipe smoking is no different. i just produce too much spit. not sure if it fades over time.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
You may become accustomed to it and not produce as much saliva and find clenching fine. If not, just keep holding and find some good "sitter" pipes that can sit nearby until you have your hands free. Either way works well.

SpookedPiper

Lifer
Sep 9, 2019
East coast
It has taken some time to get used to clenching. I still blow embers all over me if I try to talk.. especially those ss's. They get me every time.

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
I still salivate often. Different with certain blends I suppose. Some days it's very dry, others I salivate more. As for the stems and moisture, that's what the filters are for. I use the balsa wood ones and it stopped me from having to blow through the stem 3 times per smoke.

SpookedPiper

Lifer
Sep 9, 2019
East coast
It's also what pipe cleaners are for, just run one through quickly and also at the opening as some buttons have different openings that can catch some saliva, tasting quite nasty.

tg51

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 24, 2017
Fort Polk, LA
I still salivate often. Different with certain blends I suppose. Some days it's very dry, others I salivate more. As for the stems and moisture, that's what the filters are for. I use the balsa wood ones and it stopped me from having to blow through the stem 3 times per smoke.
I’m mostly a Virginia smoker but if I’m (attempting to) clenching a pipe it’s usually an English blend so I don’t cook my tongue when I’m distracted.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
I’m mostly a holder, my large hands make it almost comical if I’m smoking a smaller pipe. However, I bought a few smaller pipes to clench so I can smoke while I’m working with my hands. I don’t have a problem finding a good spot to set it and puff away but I’m having trouble with the amount of saliva I gather in my mouth. If I try to swallow while clenching I end up pushing some of it back down the stem which obviously causes issues. Anybody had this problem/figure out a way to deal with it other than having to remove the pipe to spit every fifteen seconds?

What Harris said, and I am a spitter, not a swallower. But the incidence of needing to spit will diminish with time. [Now I am wondering if I swallow some without being aware of it!]

Also seldom use pipe cleaners mid-bowl.

luigi

Can't Leave
May 16, 2017
Europe
I salivate excessively too. When I pay attention to it while trying to clench I salivate even more. I accepted the fact that clenching is not for everyone. I'm also drowning in saliva when at the dentist. That's ok and normal, every body reacts differently.

Status
Not open for further replies.