PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
For those of you interested, The Optical is a podcast that "revisits the history of VFX film and technology through the lens of Cinefex magazine."
They interviewed me regarding my work on TRON and Something Wicked This Way Comes, and that interview will be featured starting this Friday, March 27th.
Here's the link to the site:
http://opticalpodcast.com/

elpfeife

Lifer
Dec 25, 2013
Congratulations, Sable. I'm sure the recognition is well deserved. A question though.. Something Wicked This Way Comes - is that a story about a pipesmoker?

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Thanks guys. It's an interesting site. For anyone who's interested the stories behind the scenes on these films, the interviews will be interesting. They're updating the Cinefex articles, working their way from issue to issue. As time goes on this will be a very useful resource.

conlejm

Lifer
Mar 22, 2014
I really liked the movie Something Wicked This Way Comes, and of course Ray Bradbury's original story. What a very cool job you have!
The tile of the story comes from Macbeth, in the witches' cave: "by the pricking of my thumbs, something wicked this way comes".

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I'm definitely check that out. We watched "Something Wicked" over the winter. As your name rolled by, I jumped up yelling, "I know that guy". My wife, daughter and son-in-law just stared at me....

Cool link, I'll check it out more thoroughly this evening.

blueeyedogre

Lifer
Oct 17, 2013
Very Cool Sable!!!! Tron was a great movie and it was great to see that the new movie kept most of Tron's world in the first movie the same in the second. I will be sure to check it out.

drwatson

Lifer
Aug 3, 2010
toledo
Congratulations!! Both movies I loved as a kid.. Something wicked this way comes, gave me nightmares. But still loved it..

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I found "The Optical Podcast" on Podkicker (where I download the PipesMagazine Radio shows) and downloaded both of Jesse's interviews to listen in my car.

joshb83

Can't Leave
Feb 25, 2015
Both amazing movies, I happened to watch Tron this weekend, and now I guess I'll have to re watch SWTWC again. Suchs a classic! Congratulations!!

okiescout

Lifer
Jan 27, 2013
Congratulations on the acclaim, it is so well deserved, Mr. Silver. I had noted when first encountering your sablebrush52 you must be an artist to have valued the distinction of sable brushes. Great work. Was the work on the poster for Something Wicked This Way Comes, mixed media? What talent. I have always enjoyed this type of work in movie art and remember movies like "Paint your Wagon" and others where the graphics were heavily weighted to handwork rather than just mechanical. The old Disney cells was so wonderful.

I salute your talent, sir!

Jan 4, 2015
Massachusetts
A very interesting side of the business few of us ever see. The film story was interesting. Someone not in that line of work has no idea that kind of thing goes on. A lot of the tech stuff was above my pay grade but the subject was really eye opening. Thanks for the insight.

huntertrw

Lifer
Jul 23, 2014
The Lower Forty of Hill Country
Mr. Silver:
I listened to the opticalpodcast last evening, and found your profession to be truly fascinating. You are a fortunate fellow, indeed, to be paid to do what you love.
I was also pleased to hear that you were acquainted with the late Ray Bradbury (8/22/1920 - 6/5/2012), one of my favorite authors. What I would have given to have sat down with him over a cup of coffee (or root-beer, which I understand was a favorite of his) and just talked about writing! To that end, and for those who have never heard Mr. Bradbury opine on the subject, here is a link (An Evening with Ray Bradbury)
to a video presentation titled "An Evening with Ray Bradbury," filmed at Point Loma Nazarene University (San Diego, California) in April of 2001. At the age of 80 his passion for, and love of, his craft still burned brightly, and, to me at least, is contagious.
In that way I believe that you and Mr. Bradbury were kindred spirits, and I wish for you an equally fulfilling and lengthy career.

monty55

Lifer
Apr 16, 2014
Bryan, Texas
That was super cool Jesse! :clap:
We got a regular cee-leb-rity amongst us!
Really enjoyed the interview, thanks for sharing this!

Status
Not open for further replies.