PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

sergemoat

Can't Leave
Oct 15, 2011
What tobaccos are tribute blends of other tobaccos? Do you like any of them and have you tried the one's they mimic? How do they compare?
A few that I know of:
Balkan Sobranie - McClelland Blue Mountain, H&H Black house

Bengal Slices - H&H Fusilier's Ration

Revelation - Sutliff Private Stock(SPS) R-Blend

Three Nuns - C&D 972:Three Friars

Elizabethan - SPS Golden Age

Early Morning Pipe - SPS Sunrise Smoke

London Mixture - SPS Westminster
Haven't heard of the originals before:
Briggs - SPS BRG Mixture

Country Doctor - SPS CD Blend

Field and Stream - SPS Great Outdoors

Barking Dog - SPS Man's Best Friend

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
The last 4 are all blends from House of Windsor, which is now defunct. They are all burley based.

sergemoat

Can't Leave
Oct 15, 2011
Thanks for the info Jud! It's unfortunate to hear that House of Windsor is no more, I've been looking for some Revelation after hearing it was Einstein's favorite smoke. I might just have to settle for the tribute blend.

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
C&D'd Epiphany is a pretty good copy of the old Revelation, which I smoked in college.It didn't make me an Einstein but I figured I could use any help I could get. I have smoked all of the 4 "drugstore" blends you list Barking Dog and Country Doctor were Lat blends with Burley/Va bases and I enjoyed both. Briggs tended to be used as a Burley based mixing tobacco; alone it was nothing special. The package for Field & Stream was nicer than the blend in my opinion.

I have not tried any of the new incarnations but they may be worth a try just to get the feel for what America smoked those many years ago.

tjameson

Lifer
Jun 16, 2012
I have a tin of SPS CD Blend, it's a strange one for sure. Very rough cut Burley base with what I would describe as a Plum topping. The smoke is plummy almost stewed fruit that's gone a little rotten. The Latakia is present but just a background note and the burley presents more of a sour note than a nutty one. It takes a little time to get used to this blend or maybe forever as I'm more than halfway through the tin and still quite unsure.

reichenbach

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 5, 2012
West Park, NY
I am a big fan of Three Friars. I've never tried Three Nuns as it was gone before my time. Three Friars very hearty and satisfying. I'm not an expert but I believe it is a predominated by the Va followed by Perique and finally the Burley for a touch of mellowness. I think the Va is of the red variety (which is delicious, in my estimation).
The Field and Stream clone I have tried (and very much like) is a 'match' blend from Altadis. Again, the original is before my time but the match blend seems to be burley-based (as said above) with some Va and topped with something that others have described as licorice but to my nose, and the nose of some of those around me when I smoke, is something closer to cedar and, to a lesser degree, cherries.
Altadis makes matches to several of the blends mentioned above. I have yet to try any of the Sutliff blends but I am interested and I am also interested to hear what others say about them, as well.
-Joe

tomdavis

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 2, 2011
Houston TX
I have not tried it but will order soon Revelation Match by Russ O. of H&H.
I have enjoyed but not as much as others -- Princes Street Mixture by Dick Silverman as the replica of John Cotton 1&2. This was the winner of the Seattle and New York Pipe Clubs–organizers of the 2011 Balkan Sobranie Throwdown for the Chicago Pipe Show in May 2011?.

winton

Lifer
Oct 20, 2010
Sundown, Black House was the winner of the Balkan Sobranie Throwdown of the Chicago Pipe Show 2011. The 2012 contest was for John Cotton. I saw the first event, but was not feeling good, so I went home before the second event. I am hoping for another event like it in 2013. Hopefully a Virgina blend. There were lots of comments that there should be something for those who do not like latakia.
Winton

Status
Not open for further replies.