Travelling to Europe... buy tobacco there or bring with?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Status
Not open for further replies.

jazz

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 17, 2014
UK
What is the deal with customs? I am planning to go to Europe soon and was going to bring a bunch of my tobacco, a hell of a lot more than 150 grams. I was going to start in Italy and then go other places.
I can't speak for Italy but the UK limit is that you are allowed to bring in 250g from outside the EU. That is it. It sounds poor but I just went to Australia for a month and they would only let me take 50g in. Crazyness.

pipefish

Can't Leave
Aug 25, 2013
I've flown lots of transatlantic trips with way more tins than I'm allowed, Never been flagged once. I bring back lots of Pease and C&D since prices are triple for it in Europe along with Hearth and Home and McClelland blends. I do make a point of only bringing unopened tins and have never brought bulk. In fact, I'd LOVE to bring back some Pipeworks and Wilke blends (since they are unavailable in Europe) but the fact they're not in tins gives me pause.
To the OP--you're not going to find much in Barcelona that you can't find in the US. When I visited Barcelona I was living in Asia where lots of blends weren't available so I went a little nuts. However, if you find it, buy as much Condor as you can carry. Even if you don't like it, lots of forum members would nominate you for sainthood if you mailed them your stash.

pipefish

Can't Leave
Aug 25, 2013
I've flown lots of transatlantic trips with way more tins than I'm allowed, Never been flagged once.
Oh, and I bring lots of stuff from Germany and the UK (Peter Heinrich's, Pfeifen Huber, Condor, Germain's) into the US and again, never been flagged--all tins as well

zack24

Lifer
May 11, 2013
It's tough to find good tobacco in southern Italy- with the exception of Tabaccheria Sisimbro in Naples- a very nice shop...

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I say bring with you what you enjoy. That way, you don't have to take hours, half-days out of your trip in quest of a tobacco supplier who may or may not have something you like. If you happen on a good shop, duty-free shop, or whatever, you can stock up a little more. But unless tobacco is the theme of your trip, I'd take what you like and don't be stuck without pipe tobacco, or with something you don't like so well. I never have much time to smoke, or a place to smoke, on trips, so I end up needing less than I take.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Oh, and I bring lots of stuff from Germany and the UK (Peter Heinrich's, Pfeifen Huber, Condor, Germain's) into the US and again, never been flagged--all tins as well
Carry on, or checked? If the latter, you don't know that your bag has been rifled—er, checked thoroughly—unless they put things out of order and you recall such.

jollyroger

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 10, 2015
Judging by recent events I'd opt for investing less into tobacco and more into body armor.

smeigs

Lifer
Jun 26, 2012
I recently went to the UK with a couple pipes and some tobacco. I had zero issues getting it to the UK or going through customs. I didn't bring my high end pipes for fear of loosing it or getting it taken away from me for some odd reason. I would recommend bringing some tobacco with you. I bought one tin in Scotland and it came out to about 18 pounds or almost 30 dollars. It was pricy. Not sure how expensive tobacco is in Spain. But, I had no issues carrying my tobacco things aboard the plane. Good luck and enjoy Spain!

pipefish

Can't Leave
Aug 25, 2013
Carry on, or checked? If the latter, you don't know that your bag has been rifled—er, checked thoroughly—unless they put things out of order and you recall such.
Actually, both; mostly checked but always had a few tins in carry on. In fact, now that I think of it, I had some Condor in pouches on my last carry on as well. I keep a small inventory of tobacco that I cross reference when I unpack--never had any tins missing and I always went through customs without a hiccup. To be honest, can anyone tell me what the actual LIMIT is for tobacco into the US (not cigarettes or cigars)? I'd be willing to be the customs agents don't know either.

rx2man

Part of the Furniture Now
May 25, 2012
I was in Hungary, Austria, Croatia and Serbia last summer. As others have said its more expensive in Europe. I was on the look out for hard to find tobaccos that would make it worth the trouble and cost. The problem is Croatia and Serbia do not have much of a selection. I did not look in Budapest as I was heading over to Vienna. Much to my surprise I could not get the German or English tobaccos I wanted in Vienna. Thinking it was a issue with Vienna I headed south toward Croatia to hit up a large shop close to the Austrian/Slovenian border. The selection was the same as in Vienna. I mentioned that to the clerk and was told there were only certain brands available and nothing I was looking for from Germany. Had I known this I would have headed to Germany instead of going south. So all I can say is make sure that what you are looking for is available where you will be. I was looking for John Aylesbury Luxury Flake and Germains and a couple others for members on the forums.
Also make sure there are no Vignettes where you are going. At the Austrian/Slovenian border there are about 8 booths and only one on the far right with a line to buy the Vignette. I was with a Serb that did not know anything about Vignettes. No where else I went was there a Vignette to purchase as all other border crossings were staffed with officials and nothing was said about Vignettes.
https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g274862-i501-k2843319-Vignette_is_a_scam_for_tourists-Slovenia.html
I was close to beating the "official" down thinking he was corrupt and scamming me. I refused to pay the "fine" and told the guy to transport me to court or let me go back and purchase the Vignette. The "official" confiscated my license and my rental cars "papers". I really did not care at that point and am just glad I did not so something stupid, cause as it turns out it was all a legal scam.

thesinistral

Might Stick Around
Jan 27, 2016
All good advice. I enjoyed taking my P&T on European trips as I saw many more fellow pipers vs. here in the US.

Status
Not open for further replies.