PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
IMG_6590.jpeg

I just got in an order from Esterval’s, and I see some new, cheery missives on the tins. These are like the fortune cookie messages of the pipe world, I just love them! My high school German is still pretty good, so I’ll take a swing at the translations (left to right):

“When you are smoking, it is enjoyed by Children, Family and Friends”

“Children of pipe smokers are the luckiest children in the world”

I think I got the basic gist here, correct me If I’m wrong.

IMG_6589.jpeg

huntertrw

Lifer
Jul 23, 2014
The Lower Forty of Hill Country
This thread brought to mind Mark Twain's brilliant story Italian Without a Master published in 1868, in particular this brief excerpt which concerned smoking:

"After a couple of days’ rest I now come back to my subject and seek a case in point. I find it without trouble, in the morning paper; a cablegram from Chicago and Indiana by way of Paris. All the words save one are guessable by a person ignorant of Italian:

"Revolverate in teatro

"Parigi, 27.–La Patrie ha da Chicago:

"Il guardiano del teatro dell’opera di Walace (Indiana), avendo voluto espellare uno spettatore che continuava a fumare malgrado il diviety, questo spalleggiato dai suoi amici tir`o diversi colpi di rivoltella. Il guardiano ripose. Nacque una scarica generale. Grande panico tra gli spettatori. Nessun ferito.

"Translation.–“Revolveration in Theater. Paris, 27th. La Patrie has from Chicago: The cop of the theater of the opera of Wallace, Indiana, had willed to expel a spectator which continued to smoke in spite of the prohibition, who, spalleggiato by his friends, tir’o (Fr. tir’e, Anglice pulled) manifold revolver-shots; great panic among the spectators. Nobody hurt.”"