PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

perdurabo

Lifer
Jun 3, 2015
I had to smoke some grass and toot a line before Dick started making since in that lecture. But that's how it usually goes. I love PKD thanks for sharing misterlowercase. Dick knew the approach of dystopia, while living in dystopia.
As far as aromatics, there are a few I like. I've come to the conclusion that aromatics need to be discovered in reverse of common intimation. Englishes are forgiving, start with them, then move on to Virginia's and all the sub genre of Virginia. Next explore the simple burley blends. Finally after hours of practice, only now, is one ready to fully enjoy an aromatic.
I started out smoking aromatics, it lasted for a week, until my first English mixture arrived. Frog Morton on the Bayou. If the Frog hadn't come to the rescue I would've given up. So begin the non aromatic adventure, getting close and personal with English blends. That's my opinion. That's all your going to get is Opinion. Experience and trial and error, will lead you to fulfillment
Good Luck!

danhester

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 17, 2016
My mom mentioned yesterday that she liked the aroma of MacBaren's HH Old Dark Fired. Even though she smokes cigarettes, she doesn't usually like strong tobacco smells. That's a pretty good blend. I've only had the ready-rubbed bulk version, but I am sure the flakes are just as good, if not even better.

ssavarimuthu

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 14, 2016
Thanks everyone for your suggestions!
I ordered Frog Morton's Cellar, Orlik Golden Flake, and CAO Eileen's Dream (just curious), from Pipes and Cigars. Should come in in a few days. I'll keep you posted on what I think.
:puffpipe:

texmexpipe

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 20, 2014
I love FMC and OGF, enjoy them! Don't be afraid to try anything, if you don't like it now put it Ina jar and revisit it later and if you still don't like it give it away.

danhester

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 17, 2016
You made some nice choices, ssavarimuthu. I haven't had the CAO, but Frog's Cellar and OGS are very nice, pleasant smokes. In fact, once I finish off this bowl of Nightcap, I will probably fire up a bowl of OGS for dessert!

ssavarimuthu

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 14, 2016
Received my package of tobaccos today! Here are my thoughts after smoking a bowl of each.
Eileen's Dream didn't really have a district taste like I was hoping for. Also, it created so much gunk at the bottom of the bowl. I've only smoked aromatics before, but this one had so much goop that I'm now understanding what everyone is meaning when they talk about goopy tobacco. I'm going to try and dry it out a little and go back to it.
Golden Flake was extremely grassy. Couldn't really parse out all of the flavors. I've read that this is a really good blend for summer time, but as of right now, I'm not too much of a fan. This is my very first time venturing into Virginias. That might have to do with my initial dislike of the emence grass and hay taste. Like the other blend, I'll come back to it again.
Finally, Frog Mortons Cellar was an absolute winner. I didn't think that I would enjoy Latakia as much as I did. It was super smooth, and I can see that it is much more difficult to get tongue bite from a blend like this. I also like the wooden cube that is inside. I know it might be a bit gimmicky, but I'm a sucker for unique things like that.
Overall, pretty happy that I landed on something that I can't wait to have another bowl of. The aromatic that I thought was going to be my absolute favorite ended up being my least, and I've discovered a whole new range of flavor in pipe tobacco. Thanks for the guidance!

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Here is the preeminent list for all pipe smokers, these blends have been selected after much trial and error, no need to thank me. :lol:
The TR means tin ready no extra drying time needed.

Virginia Flakes:

Fribourg&Treyer Cut Virginia Plug TR

Fribourg and Treyer VintageTR

Fribourg & Treyer Special Brown FlakeTR

Wessex Campaign Brigade Dark FlakeTR

Wessex Brown Virginia Flake TR

Wessex Gold Virginia Flake TR

Wessex Gold Brick TR

Samuel Gawith Best Brown Flake

Samuel Gawith full Virginia Flake

Hamborger VeermasterTR

Dunhill Flake TR

Astley’s no. 44 Dark Flake TR

Astleys 109TR

John Aylesbury  Luxury Flake TR

Rotary Navy CutTR

Capstan Blue FlakeTR

Brigham Klondike Gold TR

Virginia/Perique Flakes

EscudoTR

Solani 633 TR

Samuel Gawith St James Flake

Dunhill Deluxe Navy RollsTR
Virginia/Burley/Kentucky Flakes

Solani Silver Flake TR

Peterson Perfect Plug

GL Pease NavigatorTR

Petersons Irish Flake

Peterson University Flake

Esoterica  Stonehaven

Mac Baren HH Old Dark Fired

Wallace Flake TR

Orlik Dark Strong Kentucky TR
Aromatic flakes.
Mac Baren Modern Virginia Flake TR

Mac Baren Vanilla Creme Flake TR

ltstone

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 30, 2015
Two bowls of Penzance and I went from latakia english blend hater to lat english lover! Totally weird I know. Then I had a bowl of Billy Bud and was craving even more latakia flavor. Now I'm rotating between Billy Bud, Habana Daydream and Penzance although I still dislike Nightcap maybe its the perique..
My palate changed towards English blends in less than a week (about six bowls). Where at first all Latakia blends just tasted like latakia now I can taste the nuances (Penzance - Lat+floral, Habana Daydream - Lat+ciagar+sweet virginias etc)

Status
Not open for further replies.